EAT > Eating For Toddlers

Not enough meat products

(1/3) > >>

{{{Angela}}}:
DS eats fruits and veggies well, and bread products moderately well, but he eats very little from the meat and alternatives group.  Does anyone have any tips or strategies to get him to eat more meat?  I guess the problem is that he only has 4 teeth, so he can't chew them up well.  He will usually eat eggs, but not always.  I'm afraid he's not getting enough iron.  I bought some beans for him, but we haven't tried them yet, I'm a bit afraid of the gassiness that might ensue.  :oops:

matt&chris mom:
Chris has 2 bottom teeth and 3 top (only the tips are poking out). He eats lots of chicken and beef, fruit and lots of potatoes. Try to offer the meat before the fruit and veggies.  I am giving Chris the foods we are eating unless they are too spicy then his are plain. I take a bite and then offer him a bite. Whatever I want him to eat the most of is what I offer first. He hasn't found anything he doesn't like yet. Good luck. Matt didn't like meat until he was 2 years. He is still very picky about it. He will only eat steak, ribs, and grilled pork and Chickfila nuggets. He doesn't like burgers. Every now and then he eats grilled chicken. I gave him iron supplements since age 1.

Minerva

CaedensMama:
Check out a vergetarian diet for kids and see what they suggest - either online or library.
I am a vegetarian and I am planning to take my time introducing meats to Caeden.

tylersmommy:
We waited to introduce meats until Tyler could chew. That was a few months ago, and he still isn't a big fan of it, so we treat his diet as if he were a vegetarian. Iron is our main concern, and infant cereal for breakfast every morning just about takes care of it! If you're concerned, you can always ask the dr to check his iron level with a blood test, and if it's low, you can start iron supplements.

carolyn:
John has never had any meat.  If your concern is protein, try cottage cheese, eggs, black beans, hummus, and lentils.  Black beans and lentils are not as gassy as pintos.  If iron is your concern, try dark green veggies - brocalli (gassy), and spinach.  Definately keep iron fortified cereal in his diet as long as you can.  And use soy based products (tofu, veggie burger, veggie dogs) sparingly.  There are some controversial studies out right now on them.

I have been giving John a vitamin since he was about 12 months.  Talk to your doctor and find a vitamin drop with iron in it.  Ask your doctor to check his blood for anemia, but it probably isn't a problem.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version