Author Topic: Travel with homemade baby food?  (Read 2148 times)

Offline vbisa

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: August 01, 2005, 15:35:26 pm »
Hi,

We are going to Italy for 2 weeks soon and my baby has just start eating lunch and dinner (1 cube at each).  We make our own baby food but I am not sure how or if I can transport it overseas.  I;m not sure if it will last if I take it frozen, since it takes so long to get to the airport, wait for the flight, fly there, drive to our relatives.  I think it would have all defrosted by then.  Does that make it unedible? 

I have also considered making food while we are there but then I would have to bring alot of equipment.

Anyone take their own food and if so how did you do it??

Offline Fiona (Leah & Kians Mom)

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 84
Travel with homemade baby food?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2005, 17:04:48 pm »
Hi,
I too make my own food and flew from the middle east to Ireland last April. Took a night flight so before we left took the veg from the freezer and put in a tupperware for lunch the next day. Breakfast was easy just cereal and some milk, if you are using formula easy to bring with you, if you are using regular milk just buy fresh the same day and take with you in a resealable bottle if possible because you wont find milk at the airport, except in bars restaurants. I gave dd her defrosted lunch the next day and it was fine :-)
With regards to Italy, we went there for a month do please try and make your own while there, we brought our hand blender with us and bought ice cube trays to freeze it and it was so easy, obvioulsy depends if you are staying with family or hotel. Ok just noted you staying with relatives,  make your own, the choice of fruit and veg in Italy is great though for some reason they all give their babies jar food or omogeniazzoto as they say. Bring your formula plus extra with you as if you are lucky enough to find the one you need it will be incredibly expensive, about 15 euro per box. While saying that I did give dd the odd jar of baby food while there, she actually had veal and loved it. You will find baby food in most supermarkets and the most popular brands are Plasmon and Mellin. You wont find too much baby stuff in the chemist/pharmacy but in a shop called the Sanitaria. Have a brilliant trip, the Italians love kids as I am sure you know and please feel free to ask anything else. Think about the hand blender :-) Dh by the way is Italian as I presume yours is too :-)
HTH
Fiona
Mom to Leah 23/09/04