Author Topic: Sudden naptime screaming and pacifier worked?? 5 months old  (Read 2670 times)

Offline Leann

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
I have a five-month-old who I did sleep training with and he has fallen asleep on his own in bed for the past 3 weeks or so (before that he still needed some intervention/patting, but we've been able to phase that out).  He's been going to sleep fabulously until the last three days or so.  Now, about half the time, I'll do his wind-down routine and he'll get increasingly upset during it until he's flat out screaming.  HARD.  I thought something was hurting him but if I stand up and walk around he settles down fairly quickly.  So anyway this happened yesterday once (hour long screaming fit, missed entire nap and then fell asleep during next feed), and twice today.  Finally today I popped a pacifier in his mouth, which he's never really used, and he calmed down IMMEDIATELY.  I put him in his bed and two minutes after that he was asleep.  What the hey is going on here?  He usually sucks his fingers or thumb so has never really used his sucky that much.  Here are the things we're currently going through that could be contributing to the problem:

1.  started solid food about 10 days ago.  Have added one new food in the last few days but he doesn't always do the screaming so I don't think it's that...?  I also gave him those gas drops today but it didn't seem to make a difference.

2.  his wind-down routine is shorter than it used to be, just because it's been going so well, and so we don't sit in the rocking chair as long as we used to.  Does he need extra cuddle time?

I tried everything during the screaming...putting him in bed, taking him back out when he got hysterical...and when the pacifier worked like that I didn't know WHAT to think.  Someone please give me some insight!
Asher Walter, 21 Feb 2005
mostly textbook with a tiny bit of touchy

Offline GG

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 103
  • Chicagoland, IL
Sudden naptime screaming and pacifier worked?? 5 months old
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2005, 02:25:20 am »
Well, it could be a few things... it is possible that the touchy side is rebelling against the shorter wind-down routine.  Or, the new food you introduced is bothering him.  Can you try not giving it to him for about a week to see if it makes a difference?

Also, do you think that he may be teething?  The same thing happened to my DS and I think he's teething (though he stopped taking the pacifier again).
Georgia, mom to 3 sweet babes: touchy Foti, spirited Lena & not-so-tiny Joanna

Offline Leann

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2005, 13:58:47 pm »
Well, I don't think it's the shorter wind-down.  I just had a fabulous wind-down right now and he went into bed fine, lay there for ten minutes and THEN started having his fit.  I waited a little bit and then finally put his pacifier in and he went to sleep within two minutes again.  This is so weird.

Teething...I really have no idea.  You can't feel anything in there, and he's been chewing his hands and drooling since he was 12 weeks old so who knows.  And since he only has three solid foods that he is eating so far, it's hard to cut one of them out.  Should I stop with solids for a week and see if that helps?  I'm not opposed to him having his sucky if that helps him, but I just find it so odd that it works like a charm all of a sudden.

Offline GG

• Chicagoland, IL
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2005, 06:40:36 am »
If he just needs to suck on something and likes the paci all of a sudden, I say that's fine. Stranger things have happened.  I'd say just watch out that it doesn't become too much of a prop. But other than the teething, I wouldn't know what else to guess as to why he's drawn to it all of a sudden.

As a change of topic (I hope you don't mind me asking)... why is he on solids already? Is he ff?

Offline Leann

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2005, 13:50:57 pm »
No problem...the main reason I started him with solids was that he was so obviously interested in everything we were eating and drinking.  He tries to grab EVERYTHING that I eat and really seems to want to try it himself.  I had originally planned to wait until 6 months but he was so excited about it that I tried cereal one day and it was a big hit.  He doesn't get much though, I think this is more for practice than calories.

Do you think he'd do better if I stopped and tried again in about a month?  He will be six months on Aug 21st.

As for the naps...well, the first one this morning went fine.  I laid him in bed and he rolled around a while, fussed a bit, and then went to sleep.  Last night wasn't so pretty but we won't talk about THAT.  :D

Offline GG

• Chicagoland, IL
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2005, 01:12:56 am »
*ugh* You talked about not so pretty sleep routine... this afternoon and evening were horrendous at our house!  I need to re-read the sleep interview and get this guy back on track.  I don't know if he's teething or if he's still 'off' from the trip we took to visit his grandma but it's not getting any better.  So I'm right there with ya!!!!

As for getting your DS off solids, I don't see why you should, unless you have a feeling that it's bothering him.  You felt that he was ready for solids (and it sounds as if you were right) and you went for it.  If you have any reservations, ask your pediatrician.  Otherwise, keep it up.  (though, my pedi told me to do only fruits and veggies (no grains) until he's 9 mo - 1 year old.  Not sure why... I'm going to ask him tomorrow when I take DS in for a check-up.  I'll let you know his answer if you'd like.)

Offline Matthew's Mommy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 22
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2005, 02:42:46 am »
Just to play it safe, I would take him to the doctor and get him checked out. When something wonky happens, it's always best to rule out anything physical.

If all is well in that department, take a look at his overstimulation/overtiredness. When he does get upset, keep yourself calm in order to help him resettle.  Some babies do better to be resettled intheir bed, some resettle better when they are picked up. Whatever you do, stick to one method of settling.. if you do too many, then it adds to the hysterics and overstimulates even more.
Jane
Whispering since 2001
Matthew July 27th, 2001
Brendan October 21st, 2004

Offline Leann

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2005, 16:29:49 pm »
Good advice!  I've noticed it's worse when he's extra tired.  He still tends to have a few of these fits but it is already subsiding.  I think I was picking him up too quickly and that was somehow making him more upset.  Now, if he would just sleep at night.