Author Topic: How much milk in a sippy?  (Read 1849 times)

Offline jubee

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
How much milk in a sippy?
« on: August 01, 2005, 02:48:51 am »
I know that the recomendation for a 1 year old is about 16-24 oz of milk  a day.  Most get around 2 bottles at this point if they have been bottle fed and are taking to solids well.  So do you still give milk in a sippy or do you give something else like juice/water? My ds will drink milk from a sippy like crazy and I think it fills him up.
Julie

Offline Stacie:Emma&Josh Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 11
  • USA/Texas/Austin
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2005, 14:25:20 pm »
Throughout the day, my dd has acess to a sippy of water whenever she wants it.  She has her milk in a sippy at her three meals.  When she was younger, she'd down the milk before even eating so we often gaver her food first, then stalled for a few minutes until we knew she's been eating for a bit and then get her milk out.  She got used to this after a bit and wouldn't need her milk right away.  Now she can have her milk with her meals and usually not down the milk (and fill up on it) before starting to eat.  HTH

Offline Lana

• Dragon Lady
  • Administrator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 1103
  • Red Ninjini
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2005, 19:18:38 pm »
At that age I let ds have access to his sippy all day, not just meal times as he had some problems with consuming enough.  Once he was then I would let him have his cup for meals and snacks and once he had his daily amount he got water.

Offline jubee

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2005, 02:32:14 am »
Thanks Ladies!

Our ds has had a late start with table foods, for several reasons.  He is still learning to eat chunkier things, so the variety of foods he eats well are few.  I think I'll give access to milk in a sippy when ever he wants for now to make sure he gets enough, but like you said stall a little at meal times so that he eats and doesn't just drink :D   I appreciate the advice :!:
Julie

Offline Samuel's Mom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2005, 18:26:21 pm »
When my little guy was younger he would have his milk after a meal (becuase like the other posts he would down the milk and then not eat solids because he was full)....but I would give him water during the meal, which really helped him eat more.  He does like to have something to drink when eating solids.  Currently, he has access to his sippy cup all day filled with water (or sometimes apple juice and water) and has milk after bf, lunch and at bedtime.  I give him milk during supper.  hth

Nicole
Nicole
Mom to Samuel born July 27, 2004
 and to Julianna born Dec 26, 2006