Author Topic: Testing milk allergy per pedi, need help...  (Read 3157 times)

Offline abaskovic

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Testing milk allergy per pedi, need help...
« on: August 01, 2005, 04:10:52 am »
DD has been off milk due to possible allergy for many months, but the pedi said to try for one week to see if she was okay, so we are. We switched back from the Nutramigen to regular Enfamil Lipil and I even gave her yogurt and a little bit of cheese, which she gobbled down.

Other than gassiness, she seems to be okay. No more blood streaks in her stools yet, which is what started the situation. However, her nose is running like crazy and she coughs a lot! I think it's either a cold (we were on vacation with a lot of other kids) or teething (she has upper teeth coming in), but wondered if anyone had any insight on this re-introduction to milk. She has been very sleepy and irritable, but since she can't breath well due to the runny nose, I don't want to assume it has anything to do with the milk.

Thanks!

Aimee
Aimee
Isabella 10/15/04 "I'm somewhat of a textbook, but mainly a touchy baby!"

Offline abaskovic

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2005, 04:32:58 am »
DD was weaned last week, so she's on her own as far as  what's going in and coming out!

Thanks  :)
Aimee
Isabella 10/15/04 "I'm somewhat of a textbook, but mainly a touchy baby!"

Offline Livvismum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2005, 20:06:57 pm »
I would try for a while longer to rule out the teeth/cold possibility and keep an eye out for any other symptoms.

Fingers crossed all will be well and the runny nose will be a harmless summer cold.

Sara

Offline chell

• When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 94
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2005, 20:21:13 pm »
Hi I agree with livvismum, maybe wait a little longer. It doesnt sound like an allergy to me, I think you would perhaps see more symptoms more quickley, such as nettle rash, reddness of the skin, raised temperature etc, right after her feed.

cheryl
An obedient soldier fights a fools war

[img=http://www.images/t4.gif=http://www.images/t4.gif]http://www.babywhis

Offline Ksstew

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2005, 18:54:23 pm »
Congestion can be a sign of milk allergy, so I would keep a close eye on things...it could also be a million other things...it's so hard to figure out! What about testing?

Kim

Offline Kayna

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 14
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2005, 01:50:58 am »
When ds turned 1 we put him on whole milk and he too got stuffy nose/congestion. When I talked to his ped. she said he may be getting too much fat and switch to 2% milk. Problem solved. I would keep an eye on the dairy intake  :wink: .
Kayna
Eric DH Married 5/1/99
Daikon Neil 8/14/01
Avery Rose 6/13/05

Offline kristyk_19

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2005, 12:53:53 pm »
Since the range of an allergic response is tied to how much histamine resides in one's body, it makes sense that if your child has not had contact with the food for a long while the allergic reaction might not be present again yet. 

The body would need time to build up that histamine again against the offending food.  This could take a couple of weeks.  Each time the food is consumed would increase the risk of allergic response.

I've done a lot of research on this and tried to do the same test with my daughter.  After about 1 week of re-introducing milk products to her diet, the allergy revealed itself as a rash.

One other note; I have experienced allergic reactions showing themselves as coughing and irritability.  When my daughter got a cat her only symptom was a cough and she was a bit crabby.. it did not go away and she ended up testing positive for a cat allergy.  Sad but we had to get rid of the kitty.

Good luck,
Thanks,

Kristy K
Mom to a 2 1/2 year old I can't get to sleep