Author Topic: Does she need a third Nap??  (Read 3011 times)

Offline Ladybird

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • UK Chick Living in Canada
Does she need a third Nap??
« on: August 01, 2005, 23:03:42 pm »
My 9.5 month old has always been a terrible sleeper and an poor napper but since becoming a 'baby whisperer fan' I am succeeding in getting her to nap for about 45-1 hr (8-9)am and 2 hours pm 12-2) but she is rubbing her eyes and yawning before her evening meal (5pm) bedtime is 7 after a bath/bed routine starting at 6pm.

Should she still be having a third nap then do you think? our crib soothing is working well and I havent had to PU/PD for a couple of nights now but she still wakes often, is she overtired and would a third nap help this??

Oh its all so confusing isn't it  :? ....Thanks goodness for Tracey thats all I can say!!
Autumn Mae Brooke born Oct 12 2004
Evie Louise Brooke born Sept 16 2006

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2005, 23:14:49 pm »
I would actually try delaying the morning & afternoon naps a bit later. Try adding 10mins every 3 days to get naps at about 9.30 & 2pm... that worked well for my first ds
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

lil'monkey

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2005, 00:22:42 am »
What are your awake times between naps and bedtime?  I agree with Katet, 5hrs before bed seems very long.   DD is on two naps of 1.5 hrs and her awake times are around 3hrs, 3hrs and 4hrs.  I found that this seems to work best for her.  She gave up the catnap at 5 pm about a month ago and she stills rub her eyes at around this time but If I try to get her to nap, the fighting begins.  I just take her for a 10-15 min walk (or just sit outside watching people) and give her a snack (milk or solids) to give her the extra energy to last till 7:30pm.  It works very well as she still goes to bed easily.  HTH

Offline Ladybird

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2005, 02:21:22 am »
Autumn ususally gets tired about 2 hours from waking, then again at about midday hence the longer time from last nap to bedtime. She works through the tiredness okay but i wonder whether she would go down easier at night if there wasn't that 5 hours between as you say

I go to the gym and she goes into the creche between morning nap and lunch and I have been trying to find a balance with her naps so I can get there and do a 90 min workout otherwise if I had to stay home all day I would go loopy.

I'll try to push the naps a little longer, thanks for all your suggestions

Offline Matthew's Mommy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 22
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2005, 02:24:10 am »
Okay, I agree with extending her awake time.  She may not be getting enough awake time in.. so she is only needing a short sleep. (this is advice for older infants)

How is her nights? Is she sleeping through, or experiencing night wakings?  What time does she start her day?

I'll check back..
Jane
Whispering since 2001
Matthew July 27th, 2001
Brendan October 21st, 2004

Offline Ladybird

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2005, 11:36:22 am »
She is usually TERRIBLE at night however we have been doing the crib calming method of hand on her back and putting her down when she tries to climb on all fours, then PU/PD if needed. SHe is now going down at 7pm and waking at 6am with a few wakings in the middle, soothed back using the hand on the back contact (sometimes wakes quite a lot though)

Offline Ladybird

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2005, 13:41:04 pm »
How does this look? (extended things so that she is not up for more than 4 hrs tops)

6:00 Wake and Milk

8:00 Breakfast

8:30/9:00-10:00/10:30 Nap

10:45 Gym Creche or Playtime at home/Juice

12:00 Lunch

1:00/1:30-3:00/3:30 Nap

3:30 Milk and Play

4:00/4:30 Dinner

6:00/6:30 Bedtime routine starts Bath etc

7:00/7:30 Bedtime story/ bottle/ bed

Offline Ladybird

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2005, 17:59:41 pm »
Nightmare, tried the above schedule today and I have just spent 1hr 35 mins with a screaming baby who has just now gone to sleep out of sheer exhaustion....it hasnt been this bad in weeks, is it fluke or because I have put her nap a little later? (works out 3 hrs from finish time of am nap)

Seriously now I am crying myself.  :cry:

Offline Matthew's Mommy

• BW Devotee
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2005, 17:48:35 pm »
Hmm.. how did it go today? Any improvements?
Jane
Whispering since 2001
Matthew July 27th, 2001

Offline Ladybird

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2005, 17:51:37 pm »
Decided to sit home and study her every move to try and establish what her needs are right now, so soon as she started to look glazed and yawn I put her down (2.5 hours after waking) and she went off in 10 mins and slept for 1.5 hrs)

Okay great, but then this afternoon I expected her to get sleepy around 1:30 and sure enough on the dot she started to yawn and rub her eyes so straight into bed........AND SHE HAS WOKEN RIGHT UP...AAARRGGHHH!!!!!! So instead of fighting her I have just walked out and left her babbling to herself, my only fear now is that she won't nap at all and tonight will be  another nightmare.

Offline Matthew's Mommy

• BW Devotee
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2005, 18:15:00 pm »
Ah! Who was the b*gger that woke her!!!! My knickers get in a twist when these things happen!  :twisted:

Okay.. although she was woken up, I do think you are on track.  I would for the next few days, make life easy, hang out at home, just to give her a chance to return to good naps.

She probably won't go down for another nap.. and to be honest, I hesitate at having another nap. I would just move her bedtime back a bit.

Hang in there.. spend another day at home, and see how tomorrow goes.
Jane
Whispering since 2001
Matthew July 27th, 2001