Author Topic: I checked the dictionary for exhaustion and it said Beth ...  (Read 21217 times)

Offline Mad mum

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
I checked the dictionary for exhaustion and it said Beth ...
« on: August 02, 2005, 10:40:08 am »
Hello

I'm new on here but just a tad bit desperate and i'm after some help.

When my son was born 16 months ago i'd spent a large amount of time watching the discovery channel and seeing Tracey's programs and once my son was born we faithfully adopted the pu pd method so the point that we had a fantastic sleeper from about 6 weeks on[sickness and teething aside]. Before he changed he would sleep from 7.30 till 6.30 no waking up and usually have about 1hr and 30 mins sleep in the pm.

He is now 16 months old and following a nasty bout of sickness [tonsillitis] he has drastically changed. This was 3 weeks ago. He still goes to sleep fine at 7.30pm but will wake up at 12.30 ish and scream the house down. I'm at a loss as to what to do. I figured it could be one of several things ...teething [he only has 7 teeth], scared of being ill again or manipulation.

I've dived straight in with a variation on pu pd and i'm onto day 3. I go in and say shhh and rub his back. About 20 seconds after he's calmed down i leave the room. I did this from 12.45 until 5 am last night. I then gave up and went and sat in the living room and cried for an hour listening to his screams before going back into his room all happy and 'Ooooo Good morning Mr Sun shine'. As soon as he see's me he calms down and starts smiling - about 5 mins after i leave his room he's screaming again.

We don't use props - he has a favorite soft toy and he's in a grow bag. I don't know what i'm doing wrong but i work full time and i feel just about as low as i can go now.

He is hardly sleeping during the day [he's at nursery and maybe is getting 35 mins tops] and he looks so pale with big bags under his eyes. I so want to see him settled again as he's a much happier little boy.

Please, if anyone has any solutions, suggestions [that don't involve ear plugs and sleeping pills - FOR ME!! :o) ] please let me know.

I am thinking of contacting a sleep clinic if this continues - sadly i'm pretty much on my own. I have no family near and no friends that are happy looking after kids so there is no respite.

Thanks
Beth
Mummy to Zain 17/03/05