Author Topic: Can a 7 week old do habitual waking?  (Read 3789 times)

Offline heather10

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Can a 7 week old do habitual waking?
« on: July 30, 2005, 14:59:00 pm »
I have a 7 week old son who has been waking at 2:45 am the last 4 nights straight.  I've fed him each time and made that his night feed time.

Previously he was waking twice at 1:30 and 4:30 until we started the dreamfeed and then it became anywhere from 3-4:45am.  Now, suddenly, in the last 4 days, he has been waking at 2:45 sharp.  I worry every night that this is too early to eat because he may not go until 7am and the I could be up at 6.  So, I prefer he feeds at 3 or later.

I wondered if maybe he wakes at the same time because I do the DF at the same time (11) and perhaps this sets up this pattern?  Maybe I should move the dreamfeed back half an hour?
Baby boy - Adam Sean - born June 6, 2005

Offline heather10

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2005, 19:12:44 pm »
last night was night 4 in a row - anyone?

Offline krice

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2005, 19:21:40 pm »
Heather - it sounds like habitual waking to me.  Yes 7 week olds can have this 'wonderful' habit.  My LO used to wake habitually at 2:43 - I'd feed him every time too.  Then I read the book and got wise . . . it took us 4 nights to break the habit.  We'd get up at 1:40ish and DS would still wake at 2:40ish.  I was so drained I was ready to give up.  All I can say is stick with it and it will go away.

Goodluck!
Cheers,

Kathy
Mom to Matthew (05-06-05)

Offline heather10

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2005, 20:13:32 pm »
Thank you Kathy.  Sounds like you had the same time too!  Do you mean that despite this, it still happened or did the wake to sleep improve it?

It seems silly for me to wake at 1:45 to prevent him waking at 2:45 only to have him wake at 3:45 - or does it?

Offline krice

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2005, 20:26:52 pm »
The wake-to-sleep method improved DS's sleep.  My LO would get a DF at 10:30, habitually wake at 2:40, and then wake again at 4/5am.  We first tackled the 2:40 time and once that was solved we began extending the 4/5am time.  My LO now wakes at 6am (alseep at 7pm and df at 10:30).  I checked back in my BW logs and we kicked the habitual wakings at 7weeks.  While you are trying to break the habitual habit be prepared to be getting up twice in the night (once to wake him and once when he wakes as usual).  I've read in Tracy's book that some LO's only need one night to stop the habit - didn't happen in our house.  It was on the 4th night for us.

If I were you I'd give it a try.
Cheers,

Kathy

Offline rachelle

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 8
  • Oregon/USA
    • my blog
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2005, 00:05:01 am »
could definitely try wake to sleep, but have you ruled out a growth spurt?
Rachelle
Mommy to
Kiandra Diane 6-11-03
Kalli Louise 9-20-04
And Kiersten Angeline 4-25-06

Offline heather10

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2005, 12:46:05 pm »
Yes, he had his growthspurt at 5 weeks and in this case he is not eating any more frequently during the day or night, just waking to eat at the exact same time.

Kathy, so you guys did the wake to sleep to tackle the 2:40 issue - when would your baby wake if not at 2:45, was he then waking at 4/5 only?  How did you end up extending this time?

Offline krice

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2005, 13:00:38 pm »
Heather - once we did wake-to-sleep we never had to get up again for his 2:40 wake time.  It worked like a charm!  To extend his 4am/5am time I had to ensure 2 things happened - (1) he was sleeping with a full belly (2) he couldn't break out of his  swaddle . . . so I bought the miracle blanket (and it has worked wonders).  The first night we wrapped him up in it he slept so soundly and longer than he had ever before!

Now if my LO starts to fuss at 4am - I will go in and re-arrange his sleeping position (he's a great 'scoutcher' - moves all over his crib) . . . sometimes I'll even flip him on his tummy.  He can usually make it until 6am once this is done.  If he wakes at 5am - I leave him, he will usually  be happy, but if he starts to fuss at this time I will unswaddle him so he can 'play' in his crib.

It also took time for this to happen too.  My LO was 10 1/2 weeks old when he was finally sleeping through to 6am on a consistent basis.  DS is also your classic 'textbook' baby.  So I've had a fairly easy time with things.

Let us know how the 'wake-to-sleep' goes for you.

Good luck!
Cheers,

Kathy

Offline heather10

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2005, 22:26:44 pm »
please tell me more about this miracle blanket - where does one find it?

Offline krice

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2005, 22:53:35 pm »
The Miracle Blanket (aka the baby straight jacket - as dh calls it) is made of a stretchy cotton fabric that has a pouch for their legs and 2 flaps that 'pin' their arms down.  Then the remaining fabric wraps around their body a few times.  I see you are also Canadian - we tracked one down at http://babyplanet.ca/
with shipping and everything it cost us $47.  We don't get the nice color selection that you can in the States, but for us it was well worth the investment.  DS's sleep improved immediately.

DS is now to the point where we are swaddling with 1 arm out - and it still works great.  He can't unwrap himself even if he flails his free arm.
Cheers,

Kathy

Offline heather10

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2005, 02:08:29 am »
Is this the product?

https://www.miracleblanket.com

I can;t seem to locate it at baby planet...?

Offline heather10

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2005, 02:26:37 am »
After several minutes of searching, it appears that is the one - I bought two :)

Offline krice

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2005, 02:39:25 am »
Glad to hear you found it.  Funny about that link - I went and checked and couldn't find it either . . . yet that was the place we got it from.  I wished I bought 2 as well.  My DS has reflux and has yacked up on the blanket so it has been in the wash for some of his naps - when we go back to a regular swaddle for that time he always gets his arms out.  *the little bugger* :lol:

Good luck with things and I hope you fix the habitual waking issue!
Cheers,

Kathy

Offline heather10

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2005, 19:42:54 pm »
Thanks for this information Kathy, I am excited to get it in 6-9 days!  I found a company in BC that sells these called French Sew Company or something similar but their website is down so I considered that a bad sign and moved on :)