Author Topic: When to go in?  (Read 1891 times)

Offline megbrunskill

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: August 02, 2005, 12:50:33 pm »
My DD is 7 weeks old and I think I am going in to quickly. She fusses a lot while she is sleeping and I tend to go in every time. Sometimes I go in and her eyes are closed. Sometimes I pick her up and she falls right back to sleep. Sometimes she eats a lot and sometimes a little.
My DH wants me to wait until she is actually crying before I go in...is this the right thing to do. I am afraid she won't cry because she never cries really. I am also afraid this will wake her up too much.
Any advice?
Megen and Selah
Oh she is on EASY - feeds every 3 hrs during the day. Two cluster feeds in the evening bed by 8 Dreamfeed at 10-10:30. She usually sleeps well until 2 or 3 and then she is fussy pretty much for the rest of the night.
Thanks again

Offline rachelle

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 8
  • Oregon/USA
    • my blog
When to go in?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2005, 13:12:41 pm »
yes, your dh is right.  Give her a chance to settle herself back to sleep. She might just need to make a bit of noise and go back to sleep, but by going in you could be waking her up more.

Also, do you swaddle??  That might help during the nite.
Rachelle
Mommy to
Kiandra Diane 6-11-03
Kalli Louise 9-20-04
And Kiersten Angeline 4-25-06

Offline heather10

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
When to go in?
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2005, 19:46:48 pm »
I've struggled with the same thing - worrying that if I don't intervene right away she may wake too much and this will mean more work than if I just rush in - but we gotta think long term, right, and we don't want to be rushing in for months and months, but instead teach them to resettle.

I am tyring to think of it this way - if my baby is going to wake ANYWAY why not give him a chance and see whether he can do it on his own, and if not, then provide a little help and reassurance as he learns this new skill.
Baby boy - Adam Sean - born June 6, 2005