Author Topic: PAt/Shhhh.. can it become a prop?  (Read 2338 times)

Offline padawan2002

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: August 02, 2005, 20:37:38 pm »
Hello.

I have been doing pat/shhh with DS since day he was born. He is 14 weeks old. Can this become a prop?  Will he ibe expecting this all the time - for me to be in the room with him as he is getting to sleep?

Also, I usually stay with him through for about 40-45 minutes after he's settled down to ensure he gets to sleep and doesn't cry or jolt awake. For how much longer do I have to do that? At what point does the jolting or possible waking go away?

Lastly, do I have to stay for 40-45mintues in middle of night. He usually goes to bed at 7:00ish and wakes for feeding at 2:00ish.

thanks for help
eleni

Offline Samuel'smum

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
PAt/Shhhh.. can it become a prop?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2005, 10:14:43 am »
YES!!!  Pat/shush can certainly become a prop.
This happened with my little one and I had to stop using it and move to pick up/ put down.
If you are continuing to use pat/shush, try and make sure you are slowing the pat down as you see the eyes getting heavy and then stopping it entirely BEFORE they fall asleep. Your aim is to have your DS fall asleep without any props.
My DS is now 1 year old but uses a "bunny" as a comforter to suck on before he falls asleep.  But because of his age, if he wakes up in the middle of the night and needs it, he just grabs around for it and sticks it back in his mouth and goes back to sleep without bothering me.
You should expect your DS to be able to get past that 40 - 45 mins without your help once he is able to fall asleep in the first instance without any help. This didn't happen with my DS until he was about 4 - 5 months old.
So keep perservering!!!