EAT > Eating For Toddlers

what is your toddler's eating schedule?

(1/3) > >>

Khyan & Sahria's mum:
Khyan (15mths) has always been a picky & small eater with at least 5 hours between meals.

Well recently he has decided that he wants more to eat and more frequently and well I must not be on the ball because quite often I don't realise that he is hungry until he is wheeling out the high chair  :shock:  :oops:

So I thought as I'm not used to a hungry child maybe you could tell me what your meal schedules are for your toddlers, including snacks (and what types of snacks) plus bottles.

Thanks

J&Jsmom:
My DS is just under 18 months. His mealtimes are like this:

Sippy cup of milk (about 8oz) at about 7am

Breakfast (7.30 / 8ish) - a bowl of cereal consisting of one weetabix and a handful of cheerios. Sometimes he also gets a slice of toast - depends how hungrily he eats the cereal. I used to always put fruit in the cereal but it got flung out repeatedly so I've given up on that for the moment. On weekends I sometimes make him french toast (eggy bread) or scrambled egg and toast.

Snack (10ish) - this isn't a hard and fast thing. He gets a snack at nursery round about this time - anything from raisins and a cookie to pieces of fruit and breadsticks. At home he tends to get less - either just a baby biscuit, raisins, a dried apricot or two, a kiddie cereal bar or organic kiddie crisps (this depends on whether we're out and about and how much placating he needs)

Lunch (12pm) - this is  his main meal of the day and is usually something like pasta and bolognaise sauce with peas; tuna pasta bake with some veg, beef or chicken casserole etc. It is always a protein, carb and veg. Depending on how hungry he seems, I sometimes offer him dessert which is usually either a yogurt or a tub of blended fruit.

Snack (3ish) - if he didn't have a snack in the morning or he didn't eat well at lunch, I occasionally give him a small snack along the same lines that I outlined for the morning snack. I also make my own ice lollies (blitz strawberries, plain yogurt and honey and freeze - they are yum!) and if it's hot, we sometimes share one of those in the afternoon or I make fruit smoothies and he has some of that

Supper (5.30/6ish) - this moves about a bit depending on the day he's had. He also tends to have supper at 4.30pm when he's at nursery in which case I give him a small snack when he gets home - like a toasted crumpet or something just to check that he's not hungry. Sometimes he's completely not interested, sometimes he wolfs it down and wants more. I guess it depends on how much he ate at nursery. Supper at home is usually a lighter meal and could be vegetable soup with bread for dunking, or a pancake filled with some of my frozen cubes like ratatouille, or cheese and veg fritata or just cheese and tomato toasted sandwiches.

Bottle (about 8oz) at about 6.45 just before bedtime.

I also give him LOADS of water during the day. I'm a meanie and have never given him juice - he just gets plain water.

Hope that helps.

Carmela's Mom:
Good thread...I always like seeing others schedules :)

6:30 wake and sippy cup of milk

8 a.m. breakfast - either 1/2 waffle and some eggs or some yogurt and fruit..sometimes french toast, sometimes pancakes, but usually the gist is the same.....

10 a.m. snack...usually simple ... raisins, Gerber snacks, wheat thins, fruit etc.

12 p.m. lunch - sometimes Gerber meal, grilled cheese, mac n' cheese, chicken patty, etc. always served with veggies

3 p.m. snack ... something simple like the morning snack

5:30 p.m. dinner ... whatever I make...always tons of veggies also

7:00 p.m. milk and depending how she ate dinner, a little snack

Stacie:Emma&Josh Mom:
My schedule is similar to those above without the milk offered first (she has it with breakfast) and without the bottle at night (dinner is her last food).  So sounds like most toddlers get the 3 meals plus 2 snacks.  This has been our schedule since she dropped bottles at 12 months.  Our times are roughly 8 (or a little bit after dd wakes up whenever that is), snack at 10 or 10:30, lunch at noon, snack when she wakes from nap between 3 and 4, dinner at 6:30.  HTH

tylersmommy:
Our routine is similar, but Tyler hasn't been into snacks as much lately. Some days we skip them and have lunch or dinner a little earlier, it just depends.
8 - wake, infant cereal mixed with juice and veggie puree, water (no milk)
10 - snack (crackers and cheese or PB, milk)
12 - lunch (yogurt mixed with wheat germ, cooked broccoli or peas, sometimes a PB sandwich, milk)
3:30 (or after nap) - snack (usually cut up fruit, milk)
6:30 - dinner (whatever we're eating, like chicken, pasta, veggie, milk)

That's it...we'll let him have his milk sippy after dinner if he wants it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version