Author Topic: Help!  (Read 1887 times)

stasztk

Help!
« on: August 03, 2005, 02:09:20 am »
My little lady is having a really hard time settling down. Could it be because we took her out today? She's 1 month old. Can anyone tell me if I should stop taking her out? And for how long?
Teresa

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
Help!
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2005, 02:29:45 am »
I wouldn't stop taking her out, if for no other reason than you need to get out yourself & if you stop doing it then she will never get used to it.
It is not unusual for babies to have an unsettled day & with many babies the first few weeks are sort of a "honeymoon" phase & they start to have periods where they fight sleep... unfortunately (actually really it is fortunately) it is part of them developing & becoming more aware of the world around them.

You probably just need to spend more time soothing & comforting her to get her off to sleep than normal, when she has times like this... it won't be the last & they probably won't always occur on days you go out either.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

stasztk

Help!
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2005, 15:45:03 pm »
Thanks for writing back. She took forever to settle down last night. And then she woke up more than normal. It took a half an hour to settle her back down. I thought I was going to go crazy.
How are your little ones? Do they sleep well?
Teresa

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
Help!
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2005, 04:35:20 am »
teresa
It can take a while for you to settle your lo (one unsettled period a day & one unsettled day a week is a phrase I got told with my first) 1/2 hour is not too bad in the scheme of things... frustrating I know but quite normal.
My 2 aren't too bad (now), but my 2yo was a big frustration in his first year... he was the king of waking up at night & short naps for about 2 months. My #2 is easygoing by nature & also benefits from me having been through it all before.
My suggestion is to make sure you have a good wind-down routine & a re-settling one for wakeups & keep them consistent & it will give your lo the message as to what comes next... It won't work 100% of the time, no matter how good it is, but that is normal... you just want it to work most of the time... also expect it to take time &  then you won't get frustrated at spending 1/2hour settling... it won't be like that for ever... my 2yo goes to sleep in 5mins nearly every time & it takes about 15mins for my 10wo
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05