Author Topic: Awake 45 min after going to bed in the evening...WHY?  (Read 2705 times)

Offline Monche

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Awake 45 min after going to bed in the evening...WHY?
« on: August 03, 2005, 12:04:19 pm »
HI,

My ds is becoming a nightmare because of his evening waking. He has a bath and bottle and goes to bed around 7.30 pm. I usually don't have a problem with putting him to sleep at that time. He is a babywhisperer baby since the beginning and goes to sleep by himself. I put him in his sleeping bag, give him dummy and Duckie, say good night and leave the room. He falls asleep fine, I go downstairs and just as I am in the middle of cooking dinner, 45 min after he fell asleep, he is awake. At this time however, he refuses to be left alone, cries if I exit the room and if I am inside he just plays. He rolls around in the cot, tries to stand up and generally has a lovely time for about 1 to 1.5 hours. If I attempt to exit the room at any point, the happily playing baby starts crying and continues to do so until I am back in the room. I am getting extremely frustrated with this, as I work full-time and the only time I have to relax or do something for me in the evening. Most of my evenings recently have been spent in a dark room, pretending to be asleep. He goes down fine for naps as well, so he knows how to self soothe. I am really thinking of just letting him cry it out, I don't know how else to solve the hostage situation.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
Monche
mom of Ryan

Offline Maddy's Mum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
    • The Family Website
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2005, 12:59:48 pm »
HI there - Can you post your EASY schedule with naps/feeds? Also - how old is DS?

Thanks
Dee
x

Offline Monche

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2005, 13:58:32 pm »
Ryan is 9.5 months old and his EASY schedule is like this:

bewteen 7-8 wake up & 8 oz bottle
8.30-9 am breakfast
9.30 nap (1 to 1.5 hours)
12.30 lunch
2pm nap (1 to 1.5 hours)
3.30pm 5 oz bottle
5.30 dinner
7 bath
7.30pm 8oz bottle&bed

Offline Maddy's Mum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
    • The Family Website
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2005, 18:12:55 pm »
Hi there - from first impressions, he looks like he could be overtired by the time he goes down to bed - he seems to be able to stay up for approx 2-2.5 hours and the time from his last nap until bedtime is up to 4 hours. Does he show any signs of being tired before 7.30?

Dee
x

Offline Monche

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2005, 08:48:21 am »
I don't think that he is overtired, sometimes he naps from 3-4.30pm, sometimes it is from 1.30-3pm, he still wakes up 45 min after he goes to bed.

I guess what i can't understand is why he needs me to be in the room, in order to go to sleep. He doesn't need anybody for naps and 70% of the time when going to bed in the evening, but if he wakes up after that, he will not fall asleep unless somebody is in with him. If I have become a prop, why is he selective as to when he needs the prop?!?

Offline Maddy's Mum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
    • The Family Website
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2005, 12:44:38 pm »
9 months is a pretty typical age for seperation anxiety - which could be why he has started to get a bit uncomfortable when you leave. If you work on letting him know that when you leave you will return - by talking to him when you leave the room during the day, or telling you just need to go and switch the cooker on and you'll be right back - and then do it, he will gradually learn that you do come back!

This could be a pretty good age to give him a blankie or stuffed animal - and when you need to leave the room during the day - give him the blankie - this will reinforce it at bedtimes when you give him the blankie.

I hope that helps
Dee
x