Author Topic: sleeping too much?  (Read 1779 times)

Offline Jacalber

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: August 02, 2005, 16:38:07 pm »
Hi  I have a 9 week old son and we have been doing easy since birth. 
My little guy can not be up for more than 1.5 hours at a time  and this is includes feeding.  He will take at 2 hour nap (he dos wake at 45 min everytime but I can p/sh back to sleep for the rest of the nap - I may be in 3 times... but eventually he goes back out) after each E.A.  He will sleep for 6 hours at noght and my dactor wants me to try to go for 8 hours based on his size. 

We are on a 3.5- 4 hour feed cycle ( again rec of Doctor) and doing well with it... except it is very hard to eat every 4 hours if we are not staying up  longer than 1.5 hours at a time...

Is this normal?  It seems he should have more awake time...  Is he so tired b/c  he nap is not a solid 2 hours and is broken up at 45 min and we spend another 20 getting back to sleep????

How do I get him to be awake for longer stretches?  I try to extend by 5 - 10 mins.. but he just gets fussy and is harder to get down for naps...

Help

Offline mommynow

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2005, 19:22:14 pm »
My DD can only stay up 1-1.5 hours at a time but she eats every 3 hours so it is working out pretty good.  She eats, plays and sleeps and by the time she wakes up she eats again.  Why do you have to go 3.5-4 hours?  Are you breastfeeding or bottlefeeding?
Abigail born May 26, 2005

Offline Jacalber

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2005, 14:34:27 pm »
How old is you baby??  Glad mine is not the only one. 

The 3.5 - 4 hours was per my pedatrician.  He gained 3 lbs in 3 weeks so she said based on wieght and size i could do 4 hour feed cycle.  That works - he does not seem to be to hungry, but his development does not allow him to stay up longer - and it makes it hard to follow the routine if he does not take a long nap.   I am breast feeding for at least another month...

I did worry that he is not getting enough calories and that is why he is sleepy...  but he is eating 25-30 oz day which seems to be in range per the book...