Author Topic: Should 5 week old nap every cycle?  (Read 1550 times)

Offline twoblacklabs

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: August 05, 2005, 20:26:19 pm »
My son took barely any time to get used to EASY... he's been eating, then he'll be awake for a short time, maybe 1/2 hour, before he gets cranky and tired, and then he sleeps for anywhere from 1/2 hour to 2 hours before he wants to eat again.  He does this just about every cycle... there aren't any where he doesn't nap.

Ever since doing EASY he hasn't been sleeping as well at night.  He was going 5 -6 hours at a time back down to 2 - 4 hours, sometimes even less.  Are we letting him nap too much? Should we try to make him skip afternoon naps so he sleeps better at night?  Is it normal for him to want to sleep that often?

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
Should 5 week old nap every cycle?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2005, 22:25:35 pm »
hi - congrats.  it sounds like you are doing really well.  he sounds like a great 5 week old, to be napping regularly is perfect.  i definitely don't recommend skipping any naps at this age.  he will sleep as much as he needs - just don't let him skip a feed (ie - up to 2hrs / 2 1/2 hrs nap is ok).  although he might have slept longer previously he might be waking more right now because he might be in a growth spurt (around 6 weeks) and also "waking up" as a baby in general - those first few weeks many babies are still sleepy.

always remember (especially with younger kids) that "sleep begets sleep" - it is a myth that if you deprive a baby of daytime sleep they will sleep better at night.  they each have their own individual needs - some will nap 3 hrs a day and others nap 5-6 hours in total, the overnight totals can range from 9-12 hours generally.

my first dd was a sleeper and took 4 good naps a day for ages - totalling 4 1/2 - 6 hrs and still slept 11 hrs a night.  at 2 yo she naps 1 1/2 - 3 hrs a day and 11-12 at night

dd2 resists daytime sleep and at 5 1/2 months naps 2 1/2 - 4 hrs and sleeps 11-12 hrs at night.

and they are both BW babies and share the same genes.
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified