Author Topic: Need Help! Losing my mind over lack of sleep!  (Read 2116 times)

Offline brandonandjakobsmom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Need Help! Losing my mind over lack of sleep!
« on: August 04, 2005, 21:45:17 pm »
Hi! I am a second time mom and my little Jakob is a complete opposite of my 2 year old Brandon. Brandon was an Angel baby, he adapted very well to any environment. Jakob is 6 weeks old and has major sleep issues. He never liked to be swaddled. We found he slept a little better when he was not swaddled. We thought he had acid reflux, but the zantac made him worse. We tried elevating his bassinet and that really didn't make any difference. All he would do was slide down a bit as wiggled and fussed all night. He is my touchy baby. He gets overstimulated really easily. A trip to the grocery store puts him in a huge fit. He does not like a bouncy seat, a swing, or even laying on a play mat. He may stay in one of those for a 5 minute maximum. I have read Tracy's book twice and have been trying to do the Pu/Pd method as well as the Easy method. His naps are getting better but for a time they would last only 30-45 minutes and he cries because he is over tired. He does not wake at night for a bottle. Here is his schedule from today.
6:30 am wake/feed
7:30 sleep
8:00 wake (shh, pu/pd)
8:40 sleep
11:40 wake/feed
12:30 trip to the store
2:00 sleep
2:30 wake/feed
3:30 nap time (shh pu/pd)
4:00 sleep
It's only 4:30 right now so he is still asleep. He does pretty good, eating every 3 hours, sometimes longer if he is still asleep. I try to do activity time after each feed but he usually doesn't want anything to do with it and then he becomes tired. He takes about 5 ounces at each sitting earlier he took a full 6. He will take a pacifier but only for brief moments and cries when he expells it. Night time is worse. I have spent an hour and longer trying to get him to soothe back to sleep. Giving him a pacifier repeatedly and pu/pd and shh. He has white noise in the room (humidifier) and a soothing CD for each nap and bed time. I am running out of ideas and don't know if I am even using any of these techniques correctly. One more thing, he will not sleep on his back or side. He will only sleep on his tummy. We don't do this at night which is why I think night time is so bad. We usually end up bringing him to bed with us, which is a habit I did not want to start. It's easier to give him his pacifier in my bed than getting up 100 times at night. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks so much, brandon and jakob's mom

Offline Aarismom

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 13
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2005, 23:24:37 pm »
At 6 weeks old, PU/PD is a little too overstimulating. You'll wanna save that method until he's 3-4 months.

At his age, I might suggest first, nix activity time. Diaper changing pretty much becomes activity time. They pretty much don't "play" in the sense you and I know it until closer to 3 months. They sort of "take in" at this point. You'll want a nice soothing naptime and bed time routine before you put him down, 10 or 15 minutes (if you can), or until he's almost asleep in your arms. In a few weeks you can try keeping him up for a little longer, I think, but not much longer. Put him down drowsy, but awake if you can, but don't fret at this point if he accidently falls asleep in your arms. Don't be afraid to use the pacifier, and don't stimulate him too much when he's awake (the bouncy chair, swing, etc. may be too stimulating for him...use it when he's a little older, you never know, he might like it then).

Think of it this way...babies, even babies a little older (mine is almost 4 months now and can only really handle being awake no more than 1.5 hours, even that's pushing it sometimes), can only stay awake 1 or 2 hours max before they become overtired. That includes feeding time. Babies that age may only be able to stay awake 45 minutes total before they start to get overtired (and 20-40 minutes of that time is feeding time). You may be able to extend the naptime if you are able to get him down not long after you feed him, if it seems that he starts getting tired right after or during the end of feeding time. Not to mention that you might be able to get him down at that "magic" moment when he just closes his eyes and falls asleep. That is always a joy to find. 

It kinda sucks...you have a baby you want to enjoy, and they can't stay up long enough for you to have a lot of fun with them until they're a few months old :roll:

Hope this helps a little bit :)

*HUGS*
Sonya =P

Texbook/Angel LO
April 26, 2005

Offline Lucysmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 118
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2005, 00:49:08 am »
Hi - Just have a moment but wanted to let you know that the Bebesounds Angelcare monitor might give you the piece of mind to let your little one sleep on his belly at night.  It monitors the baby's movement (as in breathing) and you hear a click every time the baby breaths.  If there is no movement for 10 seconds or something like that, a LOUD alarm goes off.  I have this monitor as does my sister and it really gives you peace of mind.  I got it via Babies-r-Us.  If you are not in the US and cannot get the monitor where you are located, let me know and I will try to get it to you. 

Take care and I am sure you will get loads of great advice from the wonderful ladies on this website!

Offline Lucysmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 118
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2005, 00:54:14 am »
Here is a link to the monitor and it has customer reviews as well: 

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000E262S/qid%3D1123203019/sr%3D11-1/ref%3Dsr%5F11%5F1/103-6810701-4141405

There is actually one customer who wrote that they had a belly sleeper and bought the monitor because they were afraid to let him sleep on his belly at night.

Must put Lucy to bed.... :D