Author Topic: Is it really true most babies can sleep through the night?  (Read 2448 times)

Offline MarkusSimm

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Is it really true most babies can sleep through the night?
« on: August 03, 2005, 22:54:10 pm »
Hi there,

I have a 13 week old baby named Markus and I'm just wondering if it's really possible that he could sleep through most of the night?  I just recently have started the EASY routine with him and putting him to bed roughly by 8 pm and giving him the dream feed at 10 pm.  He usually wakes up around bet 1-2 and than again bet 3-4 and before I just assumed he was always hungry and therefore bf him.  Now I'm trying to wean off the 1-2 feed at night by giving the pacifier and putting him back to sleep but he still wakes up bet 3-4 am.  Is it possible to wean him off that feed as well or should I just be thankful I could wean off the first feed?  Any input will be appreciated. :)
                Thank you for any replies!
Audrey

Offline sfmama

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
sleeping now
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2005, 00:44:17 am »
my guy is getting better at sleeping through the night -- for the longest time he would wake up around 1-2 and 4-5am to eat and then recently, all of a sudden he started mixing in nights where he'll last until 6am. I did nothing special, I guess he just got to the point where his stomach can sustain him. seems your boy is heading in that direction, maybe he just needs more time.
Aneta

*** live and learn ***

Nikki~Nathan&Danielle

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2005, 00:48:36 am »
My 18wk old goes to bed at 7pm and wakes once or twice between there and 7am (without DF).  If I do a DF she will still wake once around 2-4am (so still 2 night feeds).  If you've only just started with the DF it may take a good week for the 1am waking to shift - it took that for us and eventually it stretched out to 2amish etc - our night feeds fluctuate quite a lot still. Some do sleep through at this age (my DS did), but others don't yet I've been using the same technique from the beginning.

Offline Matthew's Mommy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 22
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2005, 01:57:59 am »
Depends on what you consider sleeping through.  For newborns to young infants sleeping through is considered 5-6 hours uninterrupted sleep.
Jane
Whispering since 2001
Matthew July 27th, 2001
Brendan October 21st, 2004

Offline sedona314

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 12
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2005, 17:00:14 pm »
Audrey:

When you are breastfeeding it is best for your supply if you keep a night feeding.  La Leche league highly recommends night feeding and he is still young enough that he may need it.  All babies are different but it's my experience that bf babies wake up once or more a night to feed.
This is actually good for both of you.

Julie
Matthew 1/31/05  spirited/textbook

Offline Fife_Mum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 23
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2005, 20:07:24 pm »
Sleeping through the night at such a young age means missing one feed. So it sounds like you are doing fine and although it is hard (one thing I'm not looking forward to again  :) ) I would keep up the 3-4am feed if he is feeding well even for a short while.

Vicky - Proud Mum to:
Fraser 29/03/2004,
Arwen 24/09/2005,
Sophie 20/11/2007