3 to 6 mths
5 (11.9%)
6 to 12 mths
19 (45.2%)
over 12 mths
18 (42.9%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Voting closed: September 03, 2005, 03:56:36 am

Author Topic: How long are you feeding for  (Read 5797 times)

Offline Jayri

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 20
How long are you feeding for
« on: August 04, 2005, 03:56:36 am »
I was just wondering about what other people are planning on for their lo's. I plan to go to 6mths and see how it incorperates into weaning, but I am a little confused on how long to continue after that as I have one friend who has a 16mth old and is planning to bf until the child weans itself.
Looking forward to everyones input.
Naomi mum to ds 17.06.03 and dd 26.03.05
&dh together since 23.02.01
[img=http://www.snugglepie.com/ezb/158880.png]http://www.snugglepie.com/ezb/158880.png[/img]

[url=http://www.snugglepie.com][img=http://www.snu

stasztk

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2005, 04:05:07 am »
It's great that so many of us are planning to go the long haul!  :D

annamum

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2005, 04:28:18 am »
It's almost 18 months  :shock: .

Offline jaxnp

• Showing Appreciation 16
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2005, 04:37:42 am »
You know, I'm not sure this time.  With David I definitely wanted to go 12 months, then planned on starting to wean, but with dd I could see going longer if she wants to.  She's a great nurser, and especially since she'll turn one in the middle of winter, I'll probably keep going through the winter at least if she wants to. 

BTW Monika, Anna looks so grown up in that picture!  Cute!

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2005, 06:00:17 am »
with ds#1 he self weaned ?due to lack of supply (1 feed/day) or the fact I was preg with #2 at 13 months... with #2 I plan to go till he self weans... but I did supplement 1 feed with formula from 10 months with ds#1 as his middle of the day feed was a nighmare & so I was expressing it from 9 months but he took not much of it & one day I offered formula & he took the lot... so I thought why bother expressing for it to end up being thrown away!!
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline becca24

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2005, 06:12:07 am »
I voted 6 to 12 months - not bad for someone who planned to do it for 6 weeks :lol: She is only 5 months now so I am hoping to keep going until Christmas.

Offline deenz

• Showing Appreciation 50
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2005, 08:39:21 am »
Dd is nearly 18mo and still has one bf a day...  I may well end up tandem feeding!  (due in less than 8wks).  I think I plan on feeding til she self-weans, or maybe til 2 if she hasn't stopped by then....

Nikki~Nathan&Danielle

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2005, 09:32:25 am »
Quote from: Katet
with ds#1 he self weaned ?due to lack of supply (1 feed/day) or the fact I was preg with #2 at 13 months...

Ditto, this is what happened with Nathan at 14mths.  I was happy with the timing though.  With Danielle I plan on going beyond 12mths and just see what happens.

Offline Mello

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2005, 10:41:33 am »
I would love to go for over 12 months with my dd. Unfortunately she has refused to bf from this Monday onwards. Really weird as she was a total fan of the boob and I was still feeding her 4 - 6 times a day at 11mths! I fed my other dd till she was 2 years and my ds till he was 15mths. I was pregnant with the next one before I stopped in each case. This time I had no choice in the matter which has made me feel so sad  :cry: . I am expressing with a pump (that I had only used once before and had locked away in the the back of the cupboard) hoping it is just one of those nursing strikes but my heart knows better. Nothing worse than tipping good breast milk down the drain! My dd won't even take milk from a bottle so it is a real struggle at present to get some fluids into her. I think I have found it difficult this time as she is my last bub and I wanted to hold onto that baby stage as they grow up so quickly.

So, enjoy your breastfeeding for as long as you can!!!!!

Mello

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Showing Appreciation 188
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2005, 12:54:58 pm »
I had originally planned for about one year, but now I'm thinking I'll continue for a while longer - I'm hoping to get pregnant again this fall, so I may wean her if my nipples are too sensitive or she may self-wean.  I'm not in a huge rush.  :)
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2005, 15:17:02 pm »
I had always planned on stopping at 6 months, but now that she's nearly five months, it just seems to soon....

Offline DeannaB

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 13
    • My Blog
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2005, 18:27:42 pm »
I bf my first 2, 14/15 months til I got pg again.  This is our last and I have no 'ending point' but just will see how long (past 12 months) that we both are interested in continuing....prob til about 18 mo.
Zachary 9/22/01  Kalla 7/21/03
Micah 6/29/05   Maressa 2/13/07

Visit my BLOG

Offline Jayri

• Showing Appreciation 20
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2005, 23:07:01 pm »
it is so nice to see everyones replies, I never imagined that I would enjoy bf so much. I agree with erin that 6mths does seem to soon to end.
Keep the replies coming!!
Naomi mum to ds 17.06.03 and dd 26.03.05
&dh together since 23.02.01
[img=http://www.snugglepie.com/ezb/158880.png]http://www.snugglepie.com/ezb/158880.png[/img]

[url=http://www.snugglepie.com][img=http://www.snu

Offline Jadynsmom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2005, 03:24:36 am »
I voted 12mos plus.  Our family & friends are always asking me how long I'm going to bf.  I always answer them:  "Forever, if I could".  My friends just look at me like I'm crazy and always say "please don't do that to your toddler" :?  I don't understand that.  They act like it's not natural to nurse a child that's not an infant.  Since I can't do it forever, I guess 16 or 18mos sounds good for now.  Who knows, it might even be longer.  She's 7 mos now and I absolutely love every single second of it.  I'm fighting giving up df right now.  I know she doesn't need it after 7 or 8 mos, but I do. :oops: My husband says if he could bottle this feeling that I get when I bf, he'd be a millionaire. :lol:  :lol: 

Kathy

annamum

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2005, 05:03:58 am »
I remember when I was pregnant I wanted to breastfeed up to one year because of health reasons. Having a newborn I couldn't even imagine how my life would look like in 5 or 6 months. When Anna was closer in age to 10 months, I knew that I wanted to continue for at least till she is 18 months old if she wanted, too. As I was getting closer to 15 months, I thought that we will continue for as long as we both wish to.