Author Topic: Need suggestions on dropping night feed for 5 1/2 month old  (Read 5903 times)

Offline Leann

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Need suggestions on dropping night feed for 5 1/2 month old
« on: August 04, 2005, 04:28:04 am »
I think it's time for us to drop the middle of the night feed.  Asher does not always wake at the same time but I do not think he needs this feed as he is usually not terribly hungry for his first morning feed.  He also seems less interested in other feeds throughout the day than I would expect.

He wakes at various times...usually talks to himself, grunts, moves around in bed, and works his way out of his blanket.  This can take between 10 minutes and 45 minutes.  Eventually he starts to get upset and then I feed him and put him back down.  If it's before 5:30 when I get up and feed him, he usually goes back down without much trouble.  If it's 5:30 or later then it can be difficult.

My question is...do I REALLY have to use PU/PD?  I really don't want to, but that's the Tracy answer at this point, isn't it?  Does anyone else have any ideas for me?  And if I just leave him in there, I don't think that will work as he needs me to put him back in his blanket.  Any ideas?
Asher Walter, 21 Feb 2005
mostly textbook with a tiny bit of touchy

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2005, 06:04:27 am »
Is he bf or bottle... if bottle start offering water instead, he will most probably stop waking for the feed... if he is bf then I'd say he actually probably may still need it but you could try reducing the time you feed him for that worked with my ds#1
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline vbisa

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2005, 06:46:56 am »
If you think he is ready, try tracking when he does wake up at night.  If it is consistently at the same time then use the wake to sleep method (it worked for me).  Also, I would put him in one f those sleeping bags instead of a blanket if he is getting out of it.  THat should get rid of that problem so perhaps he would sleep longer? 

I weaned my son off the night feed doing the following:

Whenever he wakes the first night, feed as usual.  The second night, do not feed him until at least that time or later.  Carry this on (you should get the nightfeed moving later and later, ie, 4am, 4:30am, 5am).  It may mean you spend a few nights spending time at 4am trying to get him to sleep, but it is worth it in the long run.  In addition, I also slowly cut back the size of the nightfeed.  The first night I let him take whatever he wanted, then every 3 nights I cut back on ounce.  It will take a couple fo weeks but you should get a baby who wakes at 5/5:30am and only eats 2 ozs.  Then you can cut it out.

I know people who have done the hard approach where you don't feed them but I couldn't do that.  Plus, I know people who have done it and then it backtracks after a few weeks.  The gradual approach also allows you to see if the baby is ready for this as if he isn't, he'll keep waking up earlier or cry until you feed him more.  If he is ok with it, after 3 nights he should adjust naturally.

Good luck!

Offline Fiona (Leah & Kians Mom)

• Showing Appreciation 84
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2005, 07:17:31 am »
Hi,
Could you try using a sleeping bag/grobag then kicking off the blankets wouldnt be an issue and you might just be able to leave him to fall back to sleep?
Fiona

Offline rachelle

• Showing Appreciation 8
  • Oregon/USA
    • my blog
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2005, 14:22:59 pm »
you've gotten some good suggestions.  I don't know that PU/PD is a must in this situation. 

Could you post your daily schedule for me??
Rachelle
Mommy to
Kiandra Diane 6-11-03
Kalli Louise 9-20-04
And Kiersten Angeline 4-25-06

Offline Leann

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2005, 14:24:19 pm »
Sure...to answer one of the above questions, he is breastfed and has started solids but doesn't eat a large amount...just enough for "practice".

A typical day is about like this:

E 7:00 am
S 9:00
E 10:30
S 12:30
E 2:00
S 4:00 (usually a shorter nap)
E 5:00
bath 7:15
E 7:45
bed 8:00
dream feed between 10 and 11

Then we have a waking at night usually.  This gives us a total of 7 feeds in a 24 hour period which I think is more than he needs.  I've thought about not topping him off after his bath because that's fairly soon after his last feeding, but he usually eats well at the bedtime feed.  Besides, if I'm going to cut out a feeding I would love for it to be the nighttime one!!  Should I try leaving out the post-bath feed instead?

He woke at 4 am the other day and I decided to try to get him back down without feeding.  He started to cry fairly hard and I admit I didn't try for very long because it's hard to make rational decisions in the middle of the night.  But he's still doing the wakings.  This morning it was 4:30, and I didn't even wait until he was actually crying before I fed him because I was afraid if I waited that long he wouldn't go back to sleep once fed.  (That's been a problem with feeds after 5 am.)  So, I'm a big huge enabler!!  Then of course when it was wakeup time at 7:15 he practically refused to eat and still went down at 9:00 without a problem.  I'm waiting to see if he sleeps 45 minutes or goes for his whole nap.

Help!

Offline rachelle

• Showing Appreciation 8
  • Oregon/USA
    • my blog
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2005, 11:04:21 am »
I get the impression that you're still swaddling.  Have you considered weaning the swaddle?  I know my dd still very much needed it at this age, but if it's causing the wakings, you may consider it.  Also, the suggestions for a sleep bag are good, too.

What size blanket do you use for swaddling?  I used a 42x42inch blanket, and it allowed for a good, tight swaddle.
Rachelle
Mommy to
Kiandra Diane 6-11-03
Kalli Louise 9-20-04

Offline Leann

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2005, 15:19:17 pm »
That's about the size blanket I use too.  I really am not sure if that's causing the wakings or not, as sometimes he is still mostly inside it when I go in to check on him.  He's basically wrapped from the chest down but is able to move his feet around in the bottom of the blanket.

Since his wakings are not at the same time every night (often around 4 or 4:30 but last night it was 2:15!), I wonder if he's not actually hungry?  It's so hard to tell with him because his hunger cues have never been that obvious and he will usually take most of a full feed no matter what time of day it is.  Argh.  I'm basically putting up with it for now.  At least he goes back to bed!

Offline andreach

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2005, 21:39:03 pm »
Hi Leanne....I have exactly the same 'problem' with my 51/2 month old.  he slept through up until he was about 41/2 months.  I was leaving him as long as possible with weaning-as advised- and now he wakes at least twice (between1:30-2:30 and then again at about 4:30am) in the night.  This is very wearing isn't it?!  He seems to eat quite well and has 2 'solid' meals with milk (he's bf) as well as his usual milk feeds.  I feed him 7 times in a 24 hour period.  What advise have you had?  Hope its getting better, Andrea.  :) :

Offline Leann

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2005, 13:58:33 pm »
I just tried to post a reply and "crashed"...I'll try again.  Someone suggested that I try feeding a little cereal between the bath and the bedtime feed.  I'm skeptical about this but maybe it's worth a try, who knows.  I'll decide soon.

Meanwhile, if I have any fabulous breakthroughs I will be sure to let you know.

Offline andreach

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2005, 15:11:14 pm »
Hi! Thanks, I'll try a later solid feed...anything is worth a go!  Benjamin woke on and off for 21/2 hours last night, didn't try a feed just kept patting back.  Wonder what will happen tonight!!  Hope its going better for you Andrea.  How heavy is Asher by the way?  Ben is 17lbs now... :)

Offline Bkkmum

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2005, 06:17:40 am »
I am having the exact same problem with my DS.  He is also 5 1/2 months old and his schedule is as follows:

E 7.30am
S 9.00
E  11.30
S  12 -1pm
E    3.30
S   3.00 (usually this is 15-30 minutes)
E    6.30
S    7.00
DF   10-11pm

He has an 8oz (240ml) bottle at all of these feeds.

He will then wake at least once during the night.  However, this waking time can be anytime from 1am to 5am. I try to pat him back to sleep, but usually after doing this for 30 minutes or more, with him being wide awake and rolling around, I end up feeding him. If it is after 2am (ie 3 hours from the DF), I will give him a feed of 4oz.  I have now reduced this to 3oz, which he will quickly finish.   

He will then wake at around 6.30-7am.  I dont feed him for at least an hour from the time he wakes up but he will rarely finish this morning bottle - I usually give him half and then try again in 30 minutes.

I don't have the problem of the blanket falling off as it is fairly hot where we live, but DS is now rolling around in the cot and trying to crawl and I think this is what wakes him. 

He is bottle fed and not yet on solids, but drinks about 40oz a day and weighs 9kg, so is a BIG boy.    As he wakes at a different time each night, I know it is not a habit so wonder if he really is hungry (or thirsty)

Do you think that once he is on solids it will improve?

Wendy
Lucas Paul   15/12/1998
Aran Patrick  24/02/2005
This is how old Aran is

Offline rachelle

• Showing Appreciation 8
  • Oregon/USA
    • my blog
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2005, 13:19:29 pm »
It definitely sounds like it could be developmental from the rolling/crawling.  This should pass with a bit of time, as long as you don't start any bad habits in the meantime.  If he is crying, go to him and settle him, feed him if he's hungry.  If he is just in there playing or fussing, try to let him settle himself.  He might surprise you!!
Rachelle
Mommy to
Kiandra Diane 6-11-03
Kalli Louise 9-20-04

Offline Z and A

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2005, 13:50:11 pm »
New to the board here and just wanted to chime in that my 5 1/2mo DD is behaving the same way! 

She was sleeping through from 7pm-4 or 5am and would BF and go back to bed until 7am... but now she is up at 11pm and 2am.  I was not dreamfeeding b/c I found that actually woke her more at night, but now she tends to wake around that time on her own.  I have found that pumping before she wakes up helps... if she takes a smaller 11pm feed, she seems to sleep longer at night, but if she takes a full breast, she wakes more often.  When she wakes at the 4 or 5am, I have started letting her nurse for less time to see if this will help.

I am also having the same issue with her getting out of the swaddle which I think contributes to her waking.  She really likes her arms pinned down for sleep.

Keep posting anything that works!  It sounds like we are all in the same boat!
Shawna

Offline Leann

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2005, 14:31:59 pm »
I MUST share this with you all!  Yesterday was an absolutely HORRID day as Asher threw screaming fits before 2 of his three naps and so missed out on much of his daytime sleep.  (Not sure about these fits but they happen occasionally.)  He also missed out on a couple solid feeds as a result.

So, bathtime rolled around and I decided on a whim to feed him a helping of cereal before his bath, partly because he hadn't had all his regular solid feeds.  I fed him the cereal, gave him a bath and then breastfed as normal.  He went to sleep around 8:45 (after ANOTHER small fit!!), we had the dream feed at 10:30, and he slept until 7:00 this morning!!!!!  Can you all believe it?

I have no idea if it was the exhaustion from the day or if the cereal helped, but I'm going to give the cereal another go tonight.  I think I'm just going to move one of his regular solid feeds from earlier to bedtime instead of adding a whole other solid feed.

I am NOT holding my breath on this one, but we'll see!