Author Topic: Question about growth spurts..  (Read 2354 times)

Offline mstormin

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: August 04, 2005, 14:19:07 pm »
DS is 5 weeks today...
I've been trying to follow Tracy's advice for the past week or so.  At first it went really well and he was able to sleep until 2:30 and then 6:30am.  Then things changed-- for the last 2 days he's wanted to eat ALL the time and can't seem to go longer than 2 hours without feeding.  Last night I put him down at 7:30pm and then he woke up hungry at 9:30 before I even got the chance to dreamfeed him, then up at 12:20, 3, 5 and 6:40.

I did a yield yesterday to be sure I was producing enough milk and I pumped over 4.5 oz (which seems like alot?)

Do babies have growth spurts this early?  Or is DS just hungry?
Also, how long will it last before my milk supply starts to make up for his new hunger?

Anything I can do to help the process along?

Thanks in advance!

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 521
Question about growth spurts..
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2005, 15:13:23 pm »
Babies have a 6 week growth spurt according to "the books" but mine has had all of hers earlier, along with at least one that wasn't in the book.  Just follow your baby's feeding cues for a few days until your body catches up and your son is getting enough.  My DD growth spurts have never lasted more than a few days, but I think it varies from person to person. 
HTH,
Erin

annamum

Question about growth spurts..
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2005, 16:09:16 pm »
Yes, it looks like a growth spurt. As Erin said, feed him as often as he wants. It usually lasts anything between 48 hours and a week. If you follow his clues and nurse him your body will start produce sufficient amount of milk for his new apetite.

BTW, growth spurts occur around the timetable given in books. The first one is at 6 weeks, some report it earlier, next at 3 months, then 6 monhts and 12 months. But babies don't always read books  :lol: .