Author Topic: Vitamin D and Floride Supplement?  (Read 1332 times)

Offline branwen

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 21
Vitamin D and Floride Supplement?
« on: August 04, 2005, 20:55:25 pm »
Hi all-

Normally I am ok with my ped's recommendations but this one makes me a little nervous.  He says because I'm breastfeeding that my baby has to take a vitamin D supplement.  There is also no floride in our city water due to some other law.  So even though she is getting plenty of outdoor exposure and I am eating really well and taking mass supplements myself he wants me to do this. 

Oh, she currently eats 2 oz cereal and 1/2 jar fruit once a day and I am adding a lunch next week.

I'm confused?  Should I be worried about this or just give her the supplement?  The box worried me to because it said "not recommended for children under 2."

Any thoughts?
Branwen
Mama to Eirwen 1/22/05

Offline LindseysMom

• Showing Appreciation 9
  • Lincolnton, NC, USA
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2005, 21:03:16 pm »
Hello.  Lindsey's ped also recommended the vitamin supplements with vit d and flouride as well.  I do give them to her when I remember.  They don't seem to bother her.  I did wait til she was 6 months old to start them.  The vit d is to help prevent rickets.  But I think that is more of an issue where babies do not get exposed to any sunlight.  I do not think it will harm your dd so give them if you want but it is your choice whether to or not. :wink:
Lynne
Registered Nurse now Sahm
Mom to Lindsey Elizabeth 10/28/04
Baby girl due December 8th

Offline Neal

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2005, 00:28:31 am »
I remember reading somewhere, don't ask me where, that to get enough Vitamin D for breast fed babies, the baby needs to be outside exposed to sunlight for a half hour a day (that's WITHOUT sunblock on).

Also, it said that it doesn't matter what YOU'RE taking because for the baby to get enough Vitamin D from you, you'd have to be taking lethal doses.

On the other hand, my pediatrician didn't tell me to use the drops, and I'm not sure about the flouride thing.  Unless it's for something other than teeth that it very well could be, why bother until they're teething or drinking water?

It is up to you, but why take the chance?  That's what I think.  Even though Rickets is kinda rare these days unless you're looking at certain social groups (I vaguely remember this from one of my nursing classes), I don't want to be the exception to something like that. 

If it worries you that the label says not for under 2, check the dosage amt with your doc.  Double check with him or the pharmacist about how much you should be giving a baby. 

All in all, I think you're pretty safe.  It takes a whole lot to OD on Vitamin D.   :lol:

Sorry if I rambled!

Offline branwen

• Showing Appreciation 21
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2005, 11:37:48 am »
Thanks for the replies and the info, esp about sun and supplements for me!  I have been giving it to her on and off...she doesn't like it's horrid lemony flavor but I mixed it in some breastmilk and oatmeal that seemed to help although still a little gross  :wink: .  The vitamin supplement actually has more vitamins than just d and the floride is also included.  I think I've decided it's ok.  The floride thing kind of threw me though, 'cause there was a big campaign here to get it taken out of the water, and also she has no teeth!!! But I guess that is how the supplement comes these days...I'm kind of cheating and doing a half dose until doc writes me back about the dosage.
Branwen
Mama to Eirwen 1/22/05

Offline Mum to Ella Rose

• Showing Appreciation 275
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2005, 15:40:28 pm »
Hi, here's some info from a Canadian baby food book I have (written by a doc.)

It says Vit. D is important for normal bone growth and prevention of rickets. It's produced naturally when skin is exposed to sunlight  but not always in sufficient quantity due to decreased exposure to sunlight, use of sunscreen and absence of the right "rays" in northern latitudes during the winter months. So vit. D is added to milk, margerine and infant formula. As breastfed babies do not consume these they may become deficient in vit.D. The Canadian Paediatric Society and the American Academy of Pediatrics recommend all breastfed infants in North America be given supplemental vit.D from birth. It also says it's recommended in other countries with a northern latitude or limited sunshine, particularly in winter months, but to consult your doc about brand and dose.

As for fluoride, it says the Canadian Paediatric society and Candian Dental Association recently reduced recommended doses of flouride supplementation to reduce the risk of Fluorosis which occurs as a result of too MUCH fluoride. Fluorosis is white streaks on the teeth or brown grey staining. Apparently with all the fluoride in water, food, drinks, toothpaste, supplements, Fluorosis occurs in up to 60% of children.

In Canada the recommendation is infants between 6 months and 2 years should receive additional fluoride only if there is inadequate fluoride in the water supply.

whew.  :wink:

It says with fluoride to only supplement in consultation with a doctor after analyzing your water supply. And yes, it's all about preventing cavities.

I hope this was some help to you...

Sharon
~Sharon~  proud Mummy to

Ella Rose November 20, 2004
Alexander James March 19, 2008