Author Topic: 11 mo. old screaming before nap; can't PD  (Read 1586 times)

Offline Sam004

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
11 mo. old screaming before nap; can't PD
« on: August 03, 2005, 19:16:10 pm »
My 11 mo. old does fine with PU/PD at night; I hardly have to PU/PD because she's used to putting herself to sleep.  However nap times have become a nightmare.  I watch her carefully for cues that she's tired and go to put her down right away.  We wind down then in her crib and usually she'll play for about 5 minutes but then she realizes she's really tired and starts screaming.  I end up picking her up and holding her because she never does stop crying for me to do PD.  Sometimes I just put her down because she's heavy and I can't take it.  Then I soothe her in the crib but that seems to make her more upset.  Twice I've just given up because we did this through the entire 1.5 hour nap window and just put her down earlier for bed.  But of course she's cranky all evening.  Any advice?  Thanks!
Sam

Offline Meg's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 30
  • our girls
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2005, 02:30:54 am »
Has she always done this or did it just start?

What happens if you leave the room and let her settle herself?

Offline Sam004

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2005, 07:47:24 am »
I just started Tracy's book a month ago.  I was only doing PU/PD at night only (with great success) because I had to do whatever  I could (BF) to get her to sleep for her naps b/c I had to take her into the office & pick up work to do at home.  Needed her to be calm in office so she needed a nap.  It worked out for then but I quit my job & SAH full time now and wanted to continue PU/PD according to the book so have been trying with naps too (only this week) and she always screams.  The only reason I leave the room is to take a deep breath & she cries harder.  Today she refused all naps until 3:30 when I gave up, BF, and she conked out from total exhaustion.  She's also still waking up at 2:30 AM; PU/PD works but she's up again at 3:15 and I feed her.  She's off the charts for growth & I'm wondering if any other 11 mo. olds just need a night feeding.  Tried adding quantity of food to her diet but no luck.  She is changing a lot developmentally.

How long during a nap time do you keep holding her (PU, since she's crying) before you give up?  Today I did PU/PD through three 1.5 hour attempts at naps then gave up & took her to another room to play.  I basically put her down when she's crying anyway because my arms get tired; she's 27 lbs.  Any insight appreciated...
Sam