Author Topic: screaming when i try to extend naps  (Read 1730 times)

Offline zelda

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« on: August 05, 2005, 09:35:34 am »
i have a sort of odd question about my 4m.o.

we've got him going down pretty well now with a minimum of crying using pu/pd since we started him on the schedule.  sometimes he even sleeps for 1.5-2h without waking.

but when he wakes up after 45min, he's like a bear.  he cries, so i KNOW he needs to sleep longer.  even though pu/pd works really well to get him to sleep, it doesn't seem to be working to get him BACK to sleep.

any ideas why this might be?

Offline Matthew's Mommy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 22
screaming when i try to extend naps
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2005, 19:19:42 pm »
Have you tried going in earlier to extend the nap?  There are a few techniques to extend naps.. one is being there before they come out of a sleep cycle-- if you're interested, I can explain it later. I think there's a message on here somewhere about it.. just have to hunt it down.
Jane
Whispering since 2001
Matthew July 27th, 2001
Brendan October 21st, 2004

Offline Meg's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 30
  • our girls
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2005, 03:11:00 am »
I believe Jane was referring to Wake to sleep.  I found a bit from our previous posts.

Here are two options:
Jane did this w/ success for her king of short naps.  I set my timer, in case I got busy. When it near the time, I oh-so quietly crept into his bedroom, once he stirred, I placed one hand on his back and one of his thigh. I didn't say anything, make any sound. Just as subtle as possible. I stayed like that until he returned to deep sleep, and slowly lightened the pressure of my hands.

I also set my timer and crept into her room.  I had a drawer full of paci's so I didn't have to dig in the crib for it.  As soon as she stired, I lightly put the paci to her lips.  She took it, i would move out of sight and sometimes she would right back to sleep.  If she opened her eyes and saw me, forget it.  I would have to do shh/pat for 15-30mins to get her back to sleep.

If that doesn't work, then having a look at your schedule would be next.

Let us know how it goes.  Hang in there, it sounds like you are on the right track!

Offline zelda

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2005, 08:26:58 am »
@jane, i'm definitely interested in hearing that.

i'll do a search on wake to sleep, then.  and i will try putting in a pacifier at 40min, but since he doesn't normally use one, i'm not sure whether this will work.  and maybe laying my hands on him before he works will also work, i'll try that this afternoon.

but that part in the post about your baby waking up and seeing you - that's exactly how it is with us.  he wakes up and screams, and i go in to soothe him.  he stops crying immediately when he sees me and wants to play and talk.  i used to try pat/shush to calm him, but now he always turns his head to look at me and tries to grab me when i get close to shush in his ear.  if i leave the room after he has stopped, he yells to bring me back - and if i don't come back, he yells more and eventually cries.  it takes forever to get him back to sleep., and i'm worrying that we're creating some sort of pattern.   

these 45-min naps will be the death of me.  i just don't get it - he goes down so easily now that i can just put him in his crib, kiss him and walk away most of the time.  so he definitely _can_ put himself back to sleep, but he doesn't.

Offline Meg's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 30
  • our girls
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2005, 16:23:56 pm »
I would hesistate to recommend using a paci now or just for this tech. - especially since he is 4mos and has gone w/o on this long!

Let us know how it goes and expect that it might take a few tries before you both get it.

We understand when you say: these 45-min naps will be the death of me - Jane and I have both been there!

Excellent that he can put himself to sleep, that will help greatly!

Good Luck and let us know.

Offline Matthew's Mommy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 22
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2005, 00:38:15 am »
hehe.. we call our children "Reformed 45 min. nappers"!

Okay, I was thinking more about this, could you give me a bit more information regarding his day? Specifically awake time, and length of feed cycle?

Don't worry.. this doesn't last forever.. it's one of those developmental blips that drive mommies and daddies to drink!

Take care,
Jane
Whispering since 2001
Matthew July 27th, 2001
Brendan October 21st, 2004

Offline zelda

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2005, 18:22:36 pm »
i sometimes use a pacifier to help him sleep every now and again when it seems he needs to suck.  but he can fall asleep just fine without it, so that's ok.

well, his day is like this:
7.00 wake
8.00 bottle (i am in the process of moving his feeds back as i used to feed him to sleep - it's really a success that he can now fall asleep by himself)
9.00 nap, about 1.5h
12.00 bottle
1.00 nap, about 1.5h
4.00 bottle
5.00 MAYBE a nap, if he seems tired.  if not, bottle and bed at 6.30-7.  if not, bottle and bed at 7.30.
10.30-11.00 dreamfeed

over the past few days, i have started feeding him a little bit before our bedtime routine starts so that he can get his calories but eat a little bit less before bedtime as he wasn't taking much of his dreamfeed.

i guess i would say he has a 4h feed cycles except for all that cluster feeding at the end of the day.

thank you both for your help and support, it's really helpful for me.  maybe there is light at the end of the tunnel!