Author Topic: Any wisdom to get 5 week old off for naps?  (Read 1488 times)

Offline mstormin

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Any wisdom to get 5 week old off for naps?
« on: August 05, 2005, 14:23:03 pm »
I really liked Tracy's book, however it's pretty impossible to get our 5 week old to take naps with her advice.  It seems that DS needs our help a little more (or maybe I just want to think that! :lol: )

Any advice on getting him down for naps? 

Also, if will the rocking, etc at this age considered a prop?

What's worked for you?

Thanks!

Offline Matthew's Mommy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 22
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2005, 19:29:19 pm »
Hi there and welcome to the board!

I have to be quick as my little one is waking up.. and my older one is wanting my attention!

Swaddle, block out visual stimulation, pat-shush (with Brendan it was more shush than patting), keeping an eye out for sleep window and ensuring to act on first sleepy cue, decreasing awake time if overtiredness is occuring, keeping activity level low-- overstimulation makes it so hard to fall asleep.

I'll add if I can think of more later!
Jane
Whispering since 2001
Matthew July 27th, 2001
Brendan October 21st, 2004

Offline Meg's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 30
  • our girls
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2005, 03:06:29 am »
Her new book is awesome!  Like an owner's manual  - as mine didn't come w/ one.  :wink:
Jane gave you some great advice:

What worked for us?
Don't let them get overtired!  Overtiredness and overstimulation can make it difficult for a newborn/young infant to fall asleep/stay asleep.

Have nap wind down:
Swaddle tight, carry her around the house for few minutes, take her to her room, dim the lights, pull the blind (she needs complete darkness), rock for a few minutes and then I lie her down in bed.  If she can't settle i would shh/pat until almost asleep.

I don't think rocking at this age is a prop as long as you are NOT rocking him to sleep.  He must be drowsy but awake when put into his crib so he can learn to fall asleep on his own.

Hope that helps.

Offline wkp

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2005, 17:24:56 pm »
:) This is my first time on the boards and I SO appreciate the advice.  It is so wonderful to not feel completely alone!  I have a 4 year span between kids and can't seem to recall going through napping issues at 6 weeks (the memory is a wonderful thing).  I just wanted to thank everyone for the advice and support I have felt just by reading...
Wendy