Author Topic: Nap question...  (Read 2338 times)

Offline mstormin

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: August 05, 2005, 17:47:37 pm »
When DS takes a nap it usually doesn't last longer than 1 hour.  Should I be picking him up then and feeding him (after only 2hrs)?  Or putting him down back for a nap?
He's 5 weeks old and 10lbs, 4oz so I don't think he needs to eat every 2 hrs!

Also, for this size should he be going 3.5 hrs?

Thanks!
Mary

Offline jillybeansmith

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Nap question...
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2005, 18:26:56 pm »
I'm no expert, but I let my little guy at that age feed on demand...

Also, are you breast feeding?  Because I started out breast feeding, but didn't make enough milk to satisfy him, so he was snacking constantly to get what he needed...

Gigismom

Nap question...
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2005, 18:35:49 pm »
hi
my lo never napped long either.  i tried to extend her naps, but couldn't.  so i just ended up going with it, which meant our feedings were only 2-2.5 hours apart until about 6 months when her naps naturally lengthened.  she gained weight and is healthy, so i guess what i did was ok although not very bw...

Offline alligirl

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 34
  • Our little lady!
    • My blog
Nap question...
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2005, 18:51:16 pm »
Hi there! 

At that age, I would just keep going with the flow and keep watching his cues to let you know if he is hungry or not.  You are still getting to know each other and it may take several more weeks for a consistent routine to fall in to place.  If he is breastfed, I think 3.5 hours is too long for a 5 week old to go.  IMO, 2-3 hours is more appropriate for that age.  Even if he's a bigger baby, he's still young and your supply is probably still being established.  If he's bottlefed, then you will know he is snacking based on how much he takes at each feed.

Also, not every baby snacks because their mom's milk supply is low.  That can be a cause, but it can also just be a habit that pops up.  Both my boys were snackers at one point or another, and I never had issues with my supply.

HTH!!
Alli-
Stephen Alexander 01/27/03
Zachary Christopher 11/11/04
Marc-Adam Garrison 10/26/06
Genevieve Cathryn 05/07/09