Author Topic: Nap question...  (Read 1515 times)

Offline mstormin

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: August 05, 2005, 17:48:49 pm »
When DS takes a nap it usually doesn't last longer than 1 hour.  Should I be picking him up then and feeding him (after only 2hrs)?  Or putting him down back for a nap?
He's 5 weeks old and 10lbs, 4oz so I don't think he needs to eat every 2 hrs!

Also, for this size should he be going 3.5 hrs?

Thanks!
Mary

Offline Matthew's Mommy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 22
Nap question...
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2005, 19:25:29 pm »
Hi there and welcome to the board!

What he is doing is typical of a newborn.  Could you give me a bit more information ie. awake times (how long between wake up to first sleepy cue) how does he settle to sleep

I'll check back!
Jane
Whispering since 2001
Matthew July 27th, 2001
Brendan October 21st, 2004

Offline mstormin

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2005, 13:43:04 pm »
Thanks for your response!

DS will normally feed (btwn 15-25 min) then he'll normally be awake for about 35-45 min.  He starts to yawn sometimes during the feeding and sometimes 20 min after feeding him.
Alot of times he's waking up after an hour of napping so it's only been 2 hrs since his last feeding. 
It seems like he doesn't eat as well (probably since he's not that hungry) and I also don't want to get into the habit of feeding that often if it's not necessary.
Should I try putting him back down to continue his nap?  Activity time for a bit? Walking around the house?

Thanks!

Offline Matthew's Mommy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 22
Nap question...
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2005, 00:57:20 am »
Could you describe what happens when he wakes up? Is it a cry or just his eyes open and he looks around?

If you can't get him back to sleep.. don't worry or stress out. This is so common for newborns. What you will find is within 10-15 mins of being awake, he'll let out a yawn or show another sleepy cue.. you can either put him back to sleep like before, or use a bit of a prop ie. stroller walk. To be honest with you, my little guy started the 45 min napping at a young age (5 weeks as well) so I would use a prop discriminatory.

There's another post like this.. so I'm going to link you up.

http://www.babywhisperer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=248193#248193
Jane
Whispering since 2001
Matthew July 27th, 2001
Brendan October 21st, 2004