Author Topic: milk sippy in crib?  (Read 1641 times)

Offline georgia's mama

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
milk sippy in crib?
« on: August 06, 2005, 01:24:39 am »
what is the consensus (sp?) :P on giving 14 mos. old sippy with milk in crib...we are transitioning away from her paci and she will play sometimes for up to one hour in her crib.  my rational is that she may find some comfort in it and that it would help with the transition, but is it still a choking risk in a cup (not to sound like a moron)?

michele
loving my baby girl

Offline carolyn

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 67
milk sippy in crib?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2005, 01:58:36 am »
We let John have a sippy in his crib.  But I would recommend water instead of milk.  Milk and juice at night can promote tooth decay.  Sippies can leak.  Nothing is worse than milk that leaked and soured before you realized it.  At least water dries.

We have transitioned him to going to bed without a sippy now.  He can have a drink of water from a paper cup if he wants one, but I only give him what he can drink.
carolyn
John's mommy :-)

Offline georgia's mama

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
milk sippy in crib?
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2005, 02:21:03 am »
is there a difference though between giving her the milk before she gets into bed  than letting her have the same amount in her crib?  i totally am all for healthy teeth, etc... but at her age it's not realistic for us to brush her teeth right before she goes to bed, we do it at bathtime and it's a hit and miss whether she'll even open her mouth.  we do give her water throughout the day and no juice so i could try it but to her i think she finds the actual milk comforting.
loving my baby girl

Offline Seona1973

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 21
milk sippy in crib?
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2005, 18:40:20 pm »
its the continued sucking that is the problem - the milk would be against your lo's teeth for a longer period of time if she is sucking on and off all night. If you give all the milk before bed, the milk is not bathing her teeth for the rest of the night and would not cause such a problem with decay, etc. I would suggest giving milk before bed and a sippy of water in the cot (you could warm the water if you thought that would be more of a comfort)