Author Topic: we obviously have an overtired problem - how to correct?  (Read 1464 times)

Offline Khyan & Sahria's mum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 10
we obviously have an overtired problem - how to correct?
« on: August 06, 2005, 12:36:05 pm »
We have been having problems with Khyan's sleep, mostly because he has been unwell (for months ! with a couple of sickfree days between each illness - cold, gastro, ear infection, tonsilitis and now another cold). Now that he is pretty much on the mend (well apart from eye teeth playing peek-a-boo!)

Our day used to be 1 nap at around 11.30am which lasted for 1.5hrs and bed at 7pm and waking at 7am  :D

Well since Khyan's sick period he can is super tired at 9.30am and if put down at this time will sleep till 11am and wake happy and babbling. This however means that he is again REALLY tired at 4pm and wants to have another sleep but if I allow this he will not settle for bed till really late and then for some reason will result in a super early wake (like 5am).

If I hold him off for his nap till 12.30pm he will sleep for only 45 mins and will wake really grumpy but WON'T go back to sleep unless I hold him and even then it's only 50% of the time  :cry: then he will need to go to bed at like 6pm and then will wake at 5am  :cry:

Even today we held him off for his nap till 11.45am and then he needed help to go back to sleep 45mins later but slept a total of 1.5hrs and woke babbling and happy at 1.15pm on the dot  :roll:

Well then he was truly unhappy at 6pm - I tried to distract him till 7pm and then I put him to bed (he just conked out) but was up crying 1 hour later and needed some REAL help to get back to sleep  :cry:

It has only been 30 mins since then so from past experience he will need my help every 45 - 60mins for at least another 3 hours  :shock: (this is typical overtired behaviour)

Please help me set up some kind of routine to help Khyan's overtired problem !

I know that he isn't waking happy and thus is still tired when he wakes in the morning - but I can't get him back to sleep NO MATTER WHAT !  I know that this is because he is overtired but I can't work out how to correct his overtired situation.

Please help with some info if you can  :D
Michaela
Khyan & Sahria's Mummy

Offline LindseysMom

• Showing Appreciation 9
  • Lincolnton, NC, USA
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2005, 01:34:23 am »
If it were me I would let him have a short nap at 4 pm, say maybe no more than an hour.  Even if you have to move his bedtime to 8:00 he may rest better at night.   Or you could keep his am nap shorter and then maybe he would get tired for his afternoon nap sooner.  I have read in another sleep book that to preserve an afternoon nap time that is not too late to wake them up earlier from their am nap.  Hope that helps.
Lynne
Registered Nurse now Sahm
Mom to Lindsey Elizabeth 10/28/04
Baby girl due December 8th

Offline Khyan & Sahria's mum

• Showing Appreciation 10
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2005, 13:44:09 pm »
thanks for that advice ! - I'm trying to play around a bit with his naps but he has been unwell so Its not working so great. I am going stick it out and then try your idea's

Thanks again  :D
Michaela
Khyan & Sahria's Mummy