Author Topic: almost 6 months and latch is not good  (Read 1721 times)

Offline sflamama

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: August 06, 2005, 16:13:02 pm »
My DD initially had trouble latching - likes to take only the nipple.  We corrected it, but it seems my milk supply has never really come in (I have had trouble eating and drinking enough water - just don't feel like it or don't have the time).  Over the last few months, it is less and less and she wants to nurse less and less; she is mostly formula fed but I'm desperately trying to keep giving her at least a few ounces of BM a day.  I have been suffering from postpartum depression and have been very depressed and feeling like I have failed her in this respect. Now I fear that it is too late - she doesn't seem to latch properly now and only like to nurse mostly for comfort.  I know I should have gone back to the LC earlier, but I have been so depressed about it and figured it was a lost cause.  I try to get her to take more of my breast in but since I have let it go so long, she just gets upset and won't BF at all.  I don't want to give up and give her a bottle but she needs to eat.  Thanks for letting me vent my feelings.  Anyone else have success retraining on the latching at such a late stage?? :(  :(  :(

annamum

almost 6 months and latch is not good
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2005, 22:01:37 pm »
I haven't had such experience but I think it is possible to be done, assuming you want it and you seem to want it very much.
First, you should see a lactation consultant, if she says it is too late, call another one and get a second opinion. The most important is to get the latch fixed.

Once this is done you can work with a lc on increasing your supply. First, your baby will be able to express more of your milk because of a better latch, secondly, you can pump additionally and take herbs to increase your supply. Fenugreek is good for that. I think a good lc would establish some kind of protocol for you to follow to work on upping your supply.

If you are determined to make it happen you should really start drinking more often, this does make a huge difference. I still nurse my 18 month old and when I forget to drink I have problem with a let-down.

So yes, I think it is not too late, there are cases of relactation even after a baby has been weaned completely and yours is not.

Good luck and keep us informed!

Offline sflamama

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2005, 23:27:44 pm »
thank you monika.  I appreciate the reply and the support - I know my email sounds totally rambling and depressed, and I'm actually embarassed I waited so long to ask for help.  so this board is great.

I had heard a little about fenugreek but wasn't sure if it was safe.  it seems everyone thinks it is, so I'll go try some.  and something about thistle?  and I've had more water today.   :? 

i may have to find another LC.  she was good for the latching issue so she might be able to help, but  i think i asked the one i went to before about anything to help supply and she said no, other than pumping all the time, which doesn't seem to help.  she had also said that, if something had to go, pump and give my DD the BM and give up the BF since it is more important she get it than to BF.  I'd rather  try to do both.

annamum

almost 6 months and latch is not good
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2005, 23:51:18 pm »
What????

Excuse me but I haven't heard anything like that before. To stop bfeeding and start pumping instead? Any lc knows the importance of nursing for a baby, it is a comfort thing and food, not food only.

Pumping itself won't increase your supply. Baby is the best at increasing your supply, if you fix the latch, of course. Babies can extract usually more than the best pump can. Honestly, find another lc.

Here are some tips for increasing your supply:

-Make sure that latch is correct  :)
-Feed often; as often as your baby will want to, the bigger demand = the bigger supply
-Use breast compression. This is a technique that helps baby get more milk. It is squeezing breast while baby is feeding. When baby is still sucking but not swallowing put your thumb on one side and your other fingers on the other side of the breast. You should be holding a big part of your breast in your hand, bring your thumb and fingers together and compress the breast.
-Use herbs known for increasing milk supply (you should consult your health provider before) such as Fenugreek and Blessed Thistle, they are can be found in health food stores, they usually come in capsules, take both 3 times a day 1 capsule. They can increase your supply within 24 hours but they don't always work.
-Some drugs are known to have a side effect that increases your supply. Such is Domperidone, you should ask your physician if she could prescribe it for you
-Pump your milk additionally not instead of nursing
-Have a lot of rest, eat good food and drink a lot of water or juices.

Good luck!