Author Topic: Supplemental bottle of formula... first timer with formula  (Read 2615 times)

Offline GG

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 103
  • Chicagoland, IL
Supplemental bottle of formula... first timer with formula
« on: August 06, 2005, 22:17:49 pm »
I've been bf'ing my DS  exclusively up to yesterday, when I had to break out the formula for a supplemental feeding.  My supply has been low and he's not been a happy camper.

I have a container of Enfamil Lipil with Iron.  I gave him 4 oz once last night, and twice already today.  My questions are... at 5 months old, is this enough for each of these supplemental feeds?  It didn't seem to be too much since he finished is completely 2 of the 3 times (he left just a little bit the 3rd time).

Also, I was worried that the extra iron may make him constipated.  I'm keeping an eye on this.  Has anyone had any experiences with this product?

I was thinking of calling his doctor, but he was closed for the weekend since yesterday at noon.  Do you think that, this being the first time I'm introducing it to his diet, I should give him a heads up?  I'd have to page him or wait until Monday.  What do you think?

(help)
Georgia, mom to 3 sweet babes: touchy Foti, spirited Lena & not-so-tiny Joanna

Offline Noelle

• Showing Appreciation 53
  • Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2005, 23:04:09 pm »
Hi!
If he finished one bottle, but not quite the other..it sounds like you're giving the right amount.  When he consistently finishes the bottle, you want to add an ounce or two.

As far as the iron goes....I just read somewhere (don't remember where) but supposedly the iron in formula does not cause constipation.  Breastmilk provides enough iron for your baby....and formula tries to emulate breastmilk.... so low iron would be considered a "special" formula.

....I used Enfamil with John and Enfamil Lipil with Zoe..no problems here  :D
**Noelle**  Formerly JohnandZoesMom

Offline jayne

• Showing Appreciation 184
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2005, 03:23:39 am »
we did have a  problem with the extra iron.. we ended up using the formula that brooke sheilds had out.. something beginnings with the ahra dhara (whatever that stuff is that is supposed to be the same as breastmilk) but i did find that the target brand and the jewel brand were the same thing and mixed even better...

with angela i used the carnation and they now have the ahra (whatever it is) i would go look on the formula can but gina is on all milk now so i dont know and i am tired :wink:
jayne

dd#1  05-14-2001
dd#2  08-06-2004

Offline GG

• Chicagoland, IL
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2005, 08:39:55 am »
Hmmm... I never heard of it before.  It's 'Bright Beginnings formula with DHA & ARA'.  I'll check it out tomorrow.  I also read in a nutritional healing book to use Rice Dream with a little bit of papaya juuce.  Weird.

Thank you Noelle and Jayne!

Offline jayne

• Showing Appreciation 184
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2005, 12:50:41 pm »
that is what it is georgia :D  :D
jayne

dd#1  05-14-2001
dd#2  08-06-2004

Offline GG

• Chicagoland, IL
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2005, 00:52:42 am »
As a follow-up... I spoke with DS's pedi today and he told me that I shouldn't be giving him more than 1-2 oz (at the most) when giving him formula as a supplement while trying to increase my milk supply.  Otherwise, it would lower my milk supply instead of increasing it.

I've still got the formula handy and will be giving it to him during the dreamfeed(s) and expressing breastmilk at night so that I can increase my supply.

:D