Author Topic: early wakings! tips anyone?  (Read 1547 times)

Offline tomato

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: August 07, 2005, 07:18:56 am »
hello, my lo has been waking up earlier and earlier each day.  I would treat it as night waking and give her a bottle but she will wake up to play.  in less than 2 months she has been waking up 4 hours.  Does anyone has got any good tips on how to get them back to sleep?  one method is  to try adjusting baby's internal 'clock' by making bedtime 15 minutes later each night until he or she wakes at a civilized hour, but i'm not sure about this as i thought putting the baby to sleep earlier doesn't mean they will wake up early., so??

Offline sedona314

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 12
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2005, 23:42:19 pm »
Hi.  The only thing I know of is pu/pd from the BW book.  You may want to visit the PU/PD board.  It worked for me initially to prolong the morning wake up but its not working that well now.  ITs worked for others though.

Julie
Matthew 1/31/05  spirited/textbook

Offline Aarismom

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 13
early wakings! tips anyone?
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2005, 01:16:14 am »
Hmm...

Another book I read (I posted the name in the book forum) said you actually need to make the bedtime earlier, as you thought.  The reason they start waking earlier and earlier when you put them to bed later and later is because they are not as well rested at night, which messes up their day, then messes up their night again. Nasty cycle.  This is fine for infants under 2 months, but as they get older they need an earlier bedtime.  It messes with their biological clock if you put them to bed later.  They author explains why, but I'm not sure I completely followed it.

If your lo is taking a late afternoon/early evening nap between 5 and whatever, eliminate it and move the bedtime back to whenever that nap begins. Chances are that's when bedtime is really supposed to start. Bedtime should wind up somewhere between 6 and 8 pm.

I didn't believe it until I bit the bullet and tried it (since nothing else was working). My lo went from sleeping 8-9 hours at night to sleeping 11-12, and I got her naps back (which were pretty much non-existant, and was the whole reason for moving it back...the extra 2 hours came with it).  We were putting her to bed at 9:00...we moved her bedtime all the way back to between 6 and 6:30. Granted, she gets up between 6 and 6:30 every morning (sometimes she'll sleep till 7), but that works out well for us since we have to get up then anyway, and gives us the evening to ourselves. The average is 7 pm bedtime. They don't automatically start sleeping longer, they may still wake early, but then you feed them and throw them back in bed until a more reasonable time. Eventually they start sleeping longer as they become more rested.

Can't hurt to try it for a few nights to see if it helps.

*HUGS*
Sonya =P

Texbook/Angel LO
April 26, 2005