Author Topic: Still not sleeping through the night  (Read 1478 times)

Offline pjs mom

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Still not sleeping through the night
« on: August 07, 2005, 16:26:43 pm »
My little guy is 4 1/2 months, and has been on a great 3 hour schedule since day 1.  We are slowly moving him to a 4 hour schedule, as he didn't progress their on his own, and our ped thinks I should cut back on his feedings - he was born at 6 pds 14 oz (at 36 weeks), and is now 15pds 4 oz - a very big boy.  Problem is that, although he is a perfect napper and has no problems during the day, he is up at 4 or 5 every morning, and not to feed.  He would eat (he'll eat any time), but shows no signs of hunger being the reason for waking.  We do PU/PD for 2-3 hours - until 7, when we start the day.  I am exhausted.  HOw can I get him to sleep longer???  (BTW - other than this morning waker, he is an angel baby - although he did have a 2 month grumpy stretch)

Offline Jaime

• Queen of the Wicker People
  • Administrator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 941
    • Laughable Lunacy
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2005, 17:00:48 pm »
hi there,

is your ds waking up happy or cranky?  if he's waking happy i would leave him in there & see if he will go back to sleep on his own; my little guy will do just that.

also, the 4am waking at 4 months is pretty common.  if you are sure you can rule out hunger, i'd say it sounds a little like habitual waking & you may want to consider using wake-to-sleep to help him over the hump.

HTH
Jaime
~~~
DD - Textbook
DS - Touchy/Grumpy

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2005, 03:41:57 am »
hi - we also went through the 4am waking at 4 - 4 1/2 months.  dd2 always woke at this time happy - no cry for food or anything.  it took 2 weeks or so to stop and in the end i just turned the monitor down low so i would not hear her unless she got upset (80% of the days she went back to sleep eventually) some days she was up 1-2 hours doing this chatty game playing and the first week we tried everything to "make" her go back to sleep including offering food.  if there is no upset/grumbles then really there is little you can do.  the less intervention the better actually as if you go in then you might stimulate him further.

i am amazed at how many people on this site experienced this as i had never heard of it first time around  :?   but believe me it seems to be common!
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified

Offline pjs mom

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2005, 12:40:21 pm »
His mood at 4 comes and goes - but usually he is pretty fussy.  We don't go to his room untilhe starts crying - sometimes right away, other times 30 minutes later.  We will try the wake-to-sleep to see if we can change things - though it sounds like this just may take time!