Author Topic: Please don't hate me - how the **** do you wake them up???  (Read 4750 times)

Offline branwen

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 21
Please don't hate me - how the **** do you wake them up???
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2005, 22:08:51 pm »
Deb- you said what I was trying to say- only better!!
Branwen
Mama to Eirwen 1/22/05

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2005, 22:16:47 pm »
thanks - how freaky we were posting at the same time
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified

Offline Eden's Mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2005, 19:00:28 pm »
thanks everyone for your continued support. I don't know why I am finding this so frustrating. I know in my head it is such early days, and in fact I am a lot more chilled out than I was with ds1! (All that tells you is that i was dangerously close to the edge last time!)

Today was interesting - we had to go to a christening and so i knew that any attempt to organise ds2 sleeping and eating would be futile so i just let him do whatever. He slept all morning pretty much exept for brief eyes open for snacks. he definately didn't feed properly all morning except for his very first feed of the day at 7.30am. He drpped off to sleep otherwise as soon as i put him on. I didn't feel ocmfortable about taking him on and off to keep himawake during the church service so I just had to live with it. Same goes for the gathering afterwards. At about 1.30pm i was really uncomforatble and needing to express andwe needed ot get homefor ds1 nap time anyway so we left. DS2 woke once e got home of his own accord and had a feed of sorts and stayed awake for about 1/2 an hour beofre nodding off again. He then woke up againat about 2.30pm and had another snack but this time stayed awake even though he wasn't interested in feeding. He dozed very breifly on and off for the next hour or so and then stayed awake until bed time! None of this invoved any intervention on my part. i had actually gone to bed for a couple of hours during this as I was so tired and had a eallly bad head ache. he hasn't cried, he hasn't needed cajoling and although his feeding hasn't been great it does tell me that it doesn't really matter what we have done over the last 2 and 1/2 weeks, he has been awake or asleep as and when he feels like it regardless of our actions!

I take on board what you were saying about his awake times being too long. He did it himslef today but maybe i have been so worked up about getting him awke to preserve night times that i have been getting him over  tired. i have been loosely following Gina Fords advice as we did so last time, and have been attempting to get him to be awake for between 6 to 8 hours in a day. it hasn't been happening as you know, but she advised 1 and 1/2 to 2 hours of awake time followed by a couple of sleep cycles and then 3 sleep cycles int he middle of the day. This would mean 3 decent sized naps and 4 awake periods.

I think tomorrow i will do as you suggest though and concentrate on getting the feeding sorted out. if i can teach him to stay awake for feeds and get some decent ones in him maybe he will have more energy. I have tried the expressing off the fore milk idea a couple of times and i did feel that it was quite successful. he certainly didn't fall immediately asleep and i did feel empty afterwards.

he is generally falling asleep at night by himslef though. we ahvne't been doing shush pat or pupd. I feed him, attempt to get his eyes open and then put him down, say our night time ryme, give him a kiss and go. His eyes are usually shut again beofre i finish but i know from watching and listneing to the monitor that he wkes again after i have gone and then goes back to sleep by himslef. thank heaven for small mercies!

thanks everyone. I am really appreciating your support.

oh and btw, i spoke to dh and he had been holding off because he didn't want to do things wrong ( bad tempered banshee woman to scarey for him) he has been great since.

XXXX for you all.
Clare
Eden:

Noah:

Jude:

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2005, 23:58:50 pm »
Clare - you are doing great.  keep it up and stay relaxed.  he sounds like he may start waking up more over the next 1-2 weeks (which is what we expected!)

Even though you have not asked, I feel i have to offer my unsolicited opinion on GF.  i have her book and have recently gone to her website.  I think a lot can be seen by the difference in the approaches between her and Tracy and i don't really think they can be combined.  IMHO Gina Ford has crazy expectations in thinking that every baby can stay awake the lengths of time she "suggests" - she makes no allowances for any variation in children which goes against everything EVERY sleep expert will agree on - every kid is different!!  i wrote on another post about watching my nephew cry from overtiredness on this plan... and i felt terrible watching it.  it also puts the parents under a lot of pressure to get them on that schedule.  if it works for some great but gfor others i think they should abandon it fast if their child does not fit into her plan.  the fact that she charges money for her website says a lot about her as well (in my opinion)

Olivia is 6 months this week and still only manages 1 1/2 -2 hrs of awake time (and until she was 4 months she could only manage 45 min - 1 hr) so you follow your GUT! and trust that you will get to know your lo - he WILL wake up more - just focus on getting him fed and loved  :D
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified

Offline Eden's Mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2005, 08:06:18 am »
So far today i have just concentrated on feeds not so much on awake times. ds2 styed awake for about 1/2 hr after his feed (yay) and I put him backt o bed as soon as he looked tired. he went straight downa nd is now rousing after one sleep cycle. looking good so far........ :D

(btw I know you are right about GF - I just found as with ds1 once i started down that road it is very difficult to let go. have spoken with her in person and whilst she is a lovely woman who really has a whole families best interest at heart it does make you even more stressed about meeting certain criterea and expectation. possibly not what someone as stressy as me needs!!!!!)
Clare
Eden:

Noah:

Jude: