Author Topic: crying as we head towards a nap...a new behavior  (Read 1390 times)

Offline sunnysideup850

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
crying as we head towards a nap...a new behavior
« on: August 08, 2005, 00:52:26 am »
My 6 month old generally takes three good naps.  In the past 4-5 days he has started crying at the beginning of our nap routine.  The first thing we do is to change his diaper and swaddle him on the changing table.  For the past few days he has started to cry when I lie him down on the changing table.  This continues until I pick him up to sing twinkle, twinkle.  Then when I lie him in his crib it starts again.  He cries in his crib for baour 30 seconds to 2 minutes and then sleeps for 1.5 hrs-2 hrs.  He used to go right down with no crying.

I thought it might be the swaddle (since we also do this on the table).  We've just recently weaned him of it for bedtime and he sleeps through the night w/ no problem.  So today I tried a nap with one arm out of the swaddle.  He went down but woke up at 30 min.  He's done this every time I try to get rid of the swaddle for naps.  I've decided that based on this consistent behavior he still needs the swaddle for naps. 

Today I notice that he has started to cry every time I put him on the changing table, pre-nap or not.  I think he's associated the changing table with naps and therefore cries every time.

Any ideas on what happened here or what I can do to fix it?  I am telling myself it is a phase and it will pass, but I just really hate the crying.  And I certainly don't want him having bad feelings about the table...he used to love it there!

Offline Stacie:Emma&Josh Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 11
  • USA/Texas/Austin
crying as we head towards a nap...a new behavior
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2005, 01:28:15 am »
My dd realized our nap routine around that age as well.  She'd start crying as soon as we sat in her rocking chair for stories.  We tried to change up her routine a bit to get her out of it, but nothing really worked except time, so we left her routine the same in the long run.  It is a phase and hopefully will pass quickly.  They start to realize that they can have an effect on their environment and that they can show displeasure with what's happening (atleast that's my theory) at about this age.  Hang in there!