Author Topic: 4 Month Old - habitual waking - how do I change this?  (Read 5878 times)

Offline Tara's mum

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
4 Month Old - habitual waking - how do I change this?
« on: September 12, 2005, 20:29:22 pm »
Help and advice please!!! 

I have a 4 month old baby girl - an absolute delight (angel baby) who follows EASY throughout the day no problem.  She does however waken every night between 3.30am and 4.45am and only takes a small amount of milk (2 oz max) if offered. She will then waken up and stay awake for 1 1/2 hrs if i am really unlucky. Sometimes she goes straight off again. She is in her own room so I can make numerous trips back and forwards trying to settle her (patting on the chest).  As yet, i haven't caved in and brought her to my room - but i am close

Her daytime routine is as follows - She bottle feeds at 7, 11, 3 and 7pm, has 3 small solid meals a day and has naps of 1 1/4 hrs, 1 1/2 hrs and then 45 mins.  I do a dream feed at 10.30pm where she takes maybe 4 ounces - and she sleeps right through this feed.  I am pretty sure she is getting enough calories each day.

I have two other small children and doing the school run in the morning is now becoming tortuous as i am so tired!!

My questions are mainly:

1. I am aware that I am reinforcing the habit i have created by feeding at this 3.30 - 4.45am feed but can i just withdraw it and how do I get Tara back to sleep - pu/pd?

2. What about wake to sleep - or can i really do this as she doesn't wake at exactly the same time each night?

3. i have heard people talking about giving water instead of milk at this feed - does that work?

4. Tara is such a lovely happy baby - so easy in every other respect - should i just be grateful and put up with this early morning feed?

Sorry for the long post.  I'd be grateful for any advice you have.

Regards,

Cat (Tara's mum)

Offline Deanna Sudnik

• Showing Appreciation 0
I share your pain
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2005, 23:32:13 pm »
You have my daughter! She too is 4 months, angel baby. Almost identical daytime schedule, except she is not on solids yet.  She continues to wake every night  same time frame. I have not fed her at the 3am waking for about 2 months, yet she continues to wake. She then wakes again at 5 and sometimes 6! So I too am looking for suggestions. She does not appear to be hungry at these times as she is often content and happy and will go back to sleep easily most times without much assistance (except her pacifer- which is the next to go!). Her increase in nighttime wakings occured after I added a dreamfeed at 11 and extended her daytime naps to total close to 3-4hours. Any suggestions?
Sorry I wasn't any help but am looking for answers and am sympathizing. I can't imagine doing this schedule with other children. Thinking of you!
Deanna
1st time mom to Rebecca - textbook/touchy

Offline Tara's mum

• Showing Appreciation 0
4 month old - night wakings
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2005, 09:48:44 am »
Hi there,

Thanks for your reply.  Nice to know someone else is having the same troubles - there is comfort in that.

last night was even worse - she woke at 2.15, then 5 then 6am.  As i have to do the school run at 8am, i didn't go back to bed and so am exhausted!

I too use a dummy but am def not giving that up.  I'll deal with that problem later.

i was thinking about fully waking tara up for a 10pm feed, letting her play for 1 1/2 hrs and then putting her down.  perhaps she'd be so tired she'd sleep.  What do you think?

Offline Deanna Sudnik

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2005, 16:25:22 pm »
It is so hard to know isn't it. Is she really alert when she is waking during the night or just crying and fussing? I do still believe in the theory that a well rested baby sleeps better...but how well is "well-rested?" Sounds like your daughter is getting enough sleep and calories during the day so I wouldn't think is an issue. I always worry about making them overtired and then having a worse night.
I am in the same situation where I keep thinking maybe we should be putting her to bed a bit later. We were the same last night, bed at 8. Up at 11, 3, 5, 6 and then 7:30 to eat! Last night I decided to try feeding her when she wakes at 3. Thinking that maybe she is experiencing a growth spurt and would sleep better from 3-7 if she had eaten...there went that idea!

Does she wake at all when you do the dream feed?
Deanna

Offline Tara's mum

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2005, 21:58:28 pm »
Hey you!

Am trying a completely different approach tonight and going to perservere for a few days.

Tara's day is great - no fussing nor complaints when it is nap time. And she's so happy otherwise it is hard to fault her. I do think she might be teething so thats bound to cause a few problems.

Tonight I have fed her as normal at 7pm but have then gone back to doing a cluster feed at 9pm (she took 4 ounces).  Iam then going to do the dream feed at 10.30 and see how we go.  She never wakes at these feeds anyway.

I left my other two with nannies from 12 weeks when i went back to work so i am pretty new at the whole thing really

Will let you know how i go tonight so maybe you can try it with your one!

c xx

Offline SandyGal

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2005, 01:02:52 am »
Hi Ladies.

I hope that you are both gettting more sleep. If your cluster feeding, increased day calorie plans don't work you might want to seriously consider getting rid of the pacifier. It is a real cause of night wakings especially if they start becoming more and more frequent and you know that they aren't hungry. I know it is work to do it, but when it is over you will be getting more sleep. Also the sooner you do it, the easier it will be as the habit is not as strong as it will be in a few months. PU/PD is the the BW way to eliminate the prop. Best of luck to you both  :)
Sandy-Mom to Kyra (1-7-04) and Kylan (9-20-05)

Offline Deanna Sudnik

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2005, 04:56:33 am »
Thanks for the support, I have really been feeling that the paci should go. It is so hard because she goes to sleep like a dream...with her paci! My hubby is going away for a week in October - and I never sleep when he is gone anyway so I am thinking of beginning the weaning process then.

To Tara's Mommy, I am wishing you luck tonight. We must be on the same wave length because my Rebecca had a really good day with lots of nice long naps (3 -1.5 hrs) and ate really good so tonight I fed at 6:30, small bite of cereal at 7:30 and then a top up of formula before bed at 8. I still plan to dream feed now at 11. Here is wishing us luck!!
Deanna

Offline philippa w

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2005, 07:38:52 am »
hi there, I am new to this forum. I have a 4month old son who I would describe as Angel/Textbook. He goes to sleep in the day easliy and sleeps three sleeps a day.The first is around 2 hrs, the others ususally 1 to 1 1/2hrs.Sometimes he needs his dummy, sometimes not. I feed him roughly every 3 to 3 1/2 hrs (breastfeed). He has been really good  up until recently at night. I feed him and put to bed around 7pm, then don't feed again before 3.30- 4.00 am. At one stage he went through til 5.30am but lately has been waking around 1.30 am.  soI resettle him with the dummy and he easily goes back to sleep. But then he's awake again at 3.30 so I have been feeding and then he sleeps through til around 7, 7.30.  I feel that he is needing the dummy to resettle so I should get rid of it. He is not really crying full steam when he's awake, more of a grissle.  I also feel that his arm is waking him, waving around as he now has one arm out of the swaddle as it always gets free. He tends to pull his hair unintentionally.  Any help would be greatly appreciated, Kind regards, Philippa :lol:

Offline philippa w

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2005, 07:46:46 am »
hi there, I am new to this forum. I have a 4month old son who I would describe as Angel/Textbook. He goes to sleep in the day easliy and sleeps three sleeps a day.The first is around 2 hrs, the others ususally 1 to 1 1/2hrs.Sometimes he needs his dummy, sometimes not. I feed him roughly every 3 to 3 1/2 hrs (breastfeed). He has been really good  up until recently at night. I feed him and put to bed around 7pm, then don't feed again before 3.30- 4.00 am. At one stage he went through til 5.30am but lately has been waking around 1.30 am.  soI resettle him with the dummy and he easily goes back to sleep. But then he's awake again at 3.30 so I have been feeding and then he sleeps through til around 7, 7.30.  I feel that he is needing the dummy to resettle so I should get rid of it. He is not really crying full steam when he's awake, more of a grissle.  I also feel that his arm is waking him, waving around as he now has one arm out of the swaddle as it always gets free. He tends to pull his hair unintentionally during the night and when he's tired as his hand is always near his head when in bed..  Any help would be greatly appreciated, Kind regards, Philippa :lol: