Author Topic: 18months & still breast feeding - help/support needed  (Read 3257 times)

Offline AJMom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
18months & still breast feeding - help/support needed
« on: June 13, 2005, 15:49:51 pm »
hello all you

I havent posted or been reading the forums for a while but good to know you are all still around. Lovely to see that the mums who were on the baby boards are now on the toddler boards!

I have a very happy and healthy 18month old boy - Adam.

He eats wells and eats just about everyting. Doing well feeding himself and with fingers foods. Usually has 3 good meals a day. And still gets breastfed morning and night. This hasnt been a problem - was happy to go on until he was ready to give it up. Although think in my head age 2 is the cut off.

But when Adam is teething - which he is this last couple of weeks-  he looks for milk for comfort. This last week I just feel I have had enough - holding him is difficult and just feel as if I dont want to keep doing this - the morning is the worse - he comes into bed and I am just pawed and pulled till he has enough milk. DH is away this week and I think that isnt helping but not sure what to do. Do I go cold turkey for him and try to deal with the screaming when he doesnt get milk or wean him off gently.

As I say I know he is a very happy healthy wee boy and I have lasted well. Any advice/tips would be appreciated.

Thanks
AJMom

Offline SandyGal

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2005, 01:05:14 am »
How are you doing? Did things get better when teeth came in/dh came home? Sorry that I don't really have any advice, I was just wondering how you are doing with this?
Sandy-Mom to Kyra (1-7-04) and Kylan (9-20-05)

Offline AJMom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2005, 20:01:40 pm »
hello

It is going ok - comes and goes.

I think I am still getting tired with the bf-ing. But willing to hang in there. There are only 3 more teeth to come and they are almost through so I am hoping it will get easier when they are all through.

I know he is happy and healthy and obviously enjoys his milk so what more could I ask for. And it wont last forever. DH is helping to try to distract him during day when he is around and sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt.

I will hang in there.
Thanks for asking how it is going.

AJmom

Offline SandyGal

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2005, 17:55:14 pm »
Breastfeeding is hard. You should give yourself a big pat on the back for keeping with it! I had many problems and was happy I made it even seven months. I'm hoping that I learned so much the hard way the first time around that with the baby coming in September, I will be better at it this time. Glad you are doing well. Hang in with the teeth. Dd is getting her last eye tooth and we are done until the 2nd molars start! I hope that is closer to two years and not right after we are done with this one!
Sandy-Mom to Kyra (1-7-04) and Kylan (9-20-05)

Offline HAIDY

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2005, 23:40:47 pm »
hi.
my ds is 13 months old, and we still with Breastfeeding, i dont need to tell you that isn easy that way, but, maybe you can find it tha best thigs Bf have, like tha vitamins, mineral, and everything nutricional that have Bf milk, the relation mother-son (so strong) and as you mencionated "he looks for milk for comfort"  yeahˇˇ the feel secure when thay are in your arms still BF. looking to your eyes, finding in that way the piece and security they need.
meybe you need a breath, cause like me, i had really bad nights,
dont be sad, you did it so well, no all the moms have this stright you have ˇˇˇˇ
yo can do it,,
visit the LLL  :D
big kiss from alexander and haidy

Offline cjwagner77

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2005, 20:52:27 pm »
I'm afraid I can't help much from personal experience.  I weaned dd at 8 months and she didn't seem to really care if she had a sippy cup of milk or breast.  But I did read somewhere that one mother came home from a trip.  She put band-aids on her nipples and told her daughter that they were broke.  Her daughter just accepted it and stopped cold turkey.

Good luck.  And congrats on BFing so long.

Crystal
Proud Mama to Katy

Offline LukasMom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Haha!
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2005, 05:27:21 am »
Cold turkey? Yeah, that's what I thought would work too.  I set a date in my mind for 1 year, and by then I had it down to bf once a day.  So then the day came and I thought it would be SO easy.

Guess what? My lo didn't care at all about the bf.  She was totally cool.  But boy did my breasts hurt!  I had NO IDEA it takes up to 12 days for the milk to dry up! 

I unfortunately don't know how to ease it for your lo, since I didn't notice any particular stress for my lo.  But for yourself, I can tell you--don't throw out that breastpump!  And get read to take hot showers and get a good painkiller!  Oh--and you might want to invest in some new bras since you're going to need some extra support once the milk has "left the building" so to speak.  Good luck, I know you can do it!  Just be prepared!

"I don't understand your crazy moon language!" --The Tick