SLEEP > Sleeping For Toddlers

needs me to go to sleep! help!

(1/2) > >>

Estee:
hi my daughter who is 17 months will only go to sleep if i am at her side and it has been like this for about 8 mmonths now, so i dont think it can be seperation anxiety (which i originally put it down to), i have tried everything leaving the room and going back only when she cries , standing at her door so she can see me which works but can take upto an hour and half, which by this time i am so worked up that i end up shouting at her! the minute i turn to leave the room she becomes hysterical! last night i put her into bed read her a story, gave her her  cup and then told her goodnight  and walked out and stood on the landing, she then got out of bed and followed me so i just picked her up didnt talk to her or give her any attention and just put her straight to bed, she continued to do this for an hour, so i was so mad and worked up i put her into bed and shut her gate on the door, then because she couldnt get out she started to cry but i just ignored her and kept putting her back into bed after another hour she was sick everywhere  and was so hysterical she couldnt get her breathe, which made me feel so horriable . in the end i picked her up gave her a cuddle and put her in bed then she rolled over and settled! she shouted mummy a couple of times but i just shushed her! then she went to sleep!  i really dont know what to do anymore it is driving me me mad it can take upto 2hours to get her to sleep then by the time she's eventually fell to sleep i am so wound up, i end up stressing at my partner and go straight to bed!
 if anybody has any advice it will be so good to hear our if anyone else is going through the same the thing, thanx  :(

stasztk:
I am sorry. That is no fun at all. I would never push it to the point where my child was sick. So I can understand why you gave in. I really don't think that is what Tracy had in mind in her book. I know you love your sweet baby and hate to do what you've been doing. I wish you the best of luck and send big hugs your way.

Estee:
thankyou theresa, ahe is always sick if i  just let her cry which is so frustrating because then i feel like im giving into her, but i cant just ignore it. thanx for the reply x :D

Matthew's Mommy:
Hi there,

What I have always recommended for toddlers who need a parent to sit by them.. it to use a chair, and move it back one foot each night.  Yes it does take time, but it decreases the anxiety that both you and your toddler feels. Give it two weeks.

While you sit in the chair, there's not interaction or talking. If she gets out, then put her back into bed. 

Do you have Tracy's toddler book, or her new book? She deals with toddler sleep issues in both.

Hope this helps,

Estee:
thanks jane, i have done this method but without a chair i just sit on the floor or stand, the problem is i get to the door but cant get out or she  screams, ive been using this method for about 6month she goes to sleep no problem if im in the room but i cant leave the room so im stuck at the door, should i leave then just go back every 15 seconds or so, i feel im not getting anywhere just standing at the door! thankx again  :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version