Author Topic: Jan/Feb 05 Babies chat!  (Read 97618 times)

Offline diyasmom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
Jan/Feb 05 Babies chat!
« Reply #105 on: August 16, 2005, 02:33:14 am »
Julie
You are always such a great help! I am glad I brought my BW guru(you ofcourse) into this chat. Did you just compress it so that it became 16 KB? I would like to know how you did it so that I don't bug you in the future. If you have time, please let me know!
Thanks a million
Vidya
Vidya
Diya 1/25/05 Angel/Textbook and very spirited

Offline julieb

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 17
  • I think I need a bigger pool.
Jan/Feb 05 Babies chat!
« Reply #106 on: August 16, 2005, 03:22:05 am »
Vidya: You're welcome!  I have Adobe photoshop which lets me change the dimensions.  Instead of changing the dimensions in inches, I did it in pixels (165 x 120), which equals about 2.25 x 1.5 inches at 72 dpi.

And thanks for the BW guru compliment!   :oops:  :D   Some days I feel far from it (like today)!  So it's nice to feel helpful to someone on days like these!  :wink:
Julie
DS 1/31/05 (spirited/textbook but a touchy sleeper)
DD 10/15/10 (textbook/angel/spirited)

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
Jan/Feb 05 Babies chat!
« Reply #107 on: August 16, 2005, 04:29:57 am »
i wrote a huge reply to everyone and stupidly lost it by trying to delete a bit in the preview window  :oops:  D'oh!

anyway - will try as best i can in the limited time i have left of naptime!

Julie - if Matty is rocking then crawling will probably happen soon as that shows he is thinking about it and is practicing!

Olivia is on a formula (S26) that is unavailable in the US. it is a regular milk based formula.  for 1 1/2 months she was on the thickened version of the same formula - thickened by the maufacturer with cornstarch.  i am plannign on asking about allergy tests tomorrow at my Dr appt - since i am bringing the girls with me i hope the Dr will squeeze in a quick chat about olivia.
her symptoms are excessive mucus - constant runny nose - and occassionally a wet rattly sound in her chest (not as bad as before), she has a bit of ezcema on the side of her forehead and gets hot and flushed in the face (bright red cheeks and hot as a filled hot water bottle), constipation and when not comnstipated her poops are yuck!

I am so sorry that you lost your mother. i know how hard it is to be without a parent as my father died when i was 14 so is never going to be connected to "my" family.

Tarri - congrats on the rolling - we are nowhere near this yet!! yay Emily!

Deborah - thanks for the med tip.  and glad to hear you got out a little bit with Dh.  Good luck at the doctor.  I am going to try to see if Olivia's still symetrical in the front - the back is still pretty flat but i have not had it checked lately.

Julieb - sorry Ashers had a bad nightand that his spit up is so bad. i tis so hard when we don't know what to do to "fix" things. 

Heather - thanks for thinking of me - it helps knowing i am supported here.  your positive attitude is uplifting and helps me to refocus - you acn be team cheerleader as it helps!

Vidya - we are sad and don't take the girls to eat at restaurants.  we figure it is too much hassle and expense and we would not get too much enjoyment taking care of  kids, rushing through a meal and racing home for naps.  we tend to go to friends' places for afternoon tea or early dinner / BBQ and just get home for bedtime. very cute photo BTW!

Christine - I hope Leah is better!!

Welcome Nikki - very cute little girl.

For us - solids are still not good - tried pears and she won't open her mouth.  i am putting it on her lips for her to taste and givng her spoon to play with as per SP rec.  we might have troubles as we go one but have been told to offer it every day so she can get comfortable and more familiar with it.  fingers crossed that we don't have battles like with the bottle. it will take all my self control.

For those who recently joined us and have not read my threads i htought i woudl let you know that i am on meds for PPD (anxiety) as I had a hard time in the beginning with a baby and toddler (19 mo gap) and no family here.  we are doing much better now that olivia is on a 4 hr EASY and the girls have their midday nap synchronized.  he meds are helping for sure - 2 weeks ago i was being a grouchy bi**h and i figured out myself that i had forgotten to take my meds.  when we got home n the afternoon i took it and felt better within a half hour or so.

well Olivia is up so gotta go - she has had 2 x 1hr 30 min naps so far and assuming she takes catnap i will be happy!!
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified

Offline GG

• Showing Appreciation 103
  • Chicagoland, IL
Jan/Feb 05 Babies chat!
« Reply #108 on: August 16, 2005, 05:27:28 am »
WOW!  11 pages in just 7 days!  This thread moves fast!  I should have kept up with this from the beginning.   :oops:  I feel like a teenager that didn't know she had homework.  *LOL*  :lol:

Anyway, my DS was born at the very end of February (I think he was in a hurry to get in before the end of the month for some reason).

Heather - I've used Gripe Water.  I don't think my DS has reflux but I give it to him when he's fussy after eating.  I think he likes tasting something other than bm, too.  ;-)
Georgia, mom to 3 sweet babes: touchy Foti, spirited Lena & not-so-tiny Joanna

Offline herbst99

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Jan/Feb 05 Babies chat!
« Reply #109 on: August 16, 2005, 08:16:36 am »
Quote from: Debinoz
Olivia is on a formula (S26) that is unavailable in the US. it is a regular milk based formula.  for 1 1/2 months she was on the thickened version of the same formula

Lise was also on S26 and we struggled with constipation to!! and most terrible intestinal issues. She then went onto PERLARGON which is acidified (it is predigested so her immature digestive system does not have to work so hard.) This worked very well ... but as she has SILENT REFLUX we had to give her gaviscon as well which in turn made her CONSTIPATED again. What a circle!! Anyway - her doc has her on INFACARE antireflux now (thickend as well) and she is of the gaviscon. Back on the Losec as she was not doing well without it. She is doing very well on this formula.

I have included a pic of the area we live in - Somerset West - 30min from Cape Town.
Nikki - Mom of Lise and Cara

Offline branwen

• Showing Appreciation 21
Jan/Feb 05 Babies chat!
« Reply #110 on: August 16, 2005, 11:38:52 am »
Hi everyone!  Will write more later but wanted to post this picture.  It is of us in the backyard last weekend.  Not much to look at but a little piece of MA.
Branwen
Mama to Eirwen 1/22/05

Offline Kinlagh's Folks

• Showing Appreciation 7
  • Toronto, Canada (I'm back baby!)
Jan/Feb 05 Babies chat!
« Reply #111 on: August 16, 2005, 11:41:06 am »
Wow, beautiful pic Nikki!  What a view! 

I feel like I'm walking on eggshells around dd since joining this post.  I'm so afraid that nightwaking will begin - we've been pretty fortunate, she's slept thru the night since 7 weeks and i can't imagine going back.  Last night she cried out at 10:00pm but settled right back on her own.  The night before she started cooing in bed around 2:30am and I didn't go in.  Figured I'd go in only if she sounded distressed.  Again, she settled back to sleep on her own.  Pfew!  So far so good.

The mornings are a different story.   Her waketimes vary so much lately.  Anyone having the same problem?  I never know if she'll wake at 6:00am or 8:00am.  Or anywhere in between.  So every day is different.  Tough to stick to a routine when you start at a different time every day.

We worked on tummy time all day yesterday.  I want to get her a little more mobile.  And you were right, her naps were a little better yesterday with the increased activity.  She's mastered spinning in a circle, but no forward movment yet.  We'll see what she does today.
Michelle

Proud mommy to Kinlagh Emilie
Born 19/01/2005

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
Jan/Feb 05 Babies chat!
« Reply #112 on: August 16, 2005, 12:00:22 pm »
just a quick one before bed  - Jeff took my sister and Alex hiking up Barrenjoey Lighthouse on the Northern beaches of Sydney a couple of weeks ago.  sydney is a city set all on water - everyone wants to live near the beaches, or have water views, sailing, etc!!  bearing in mind it is the dead of winter - it is nice to be warm enough in a T shirt and need sunglasses year round :D

excuse alex's little pouty lip! this is one of the few "location" shots i could find on the computer...
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified

Offline dkjokisch

• Showing Appreciation 43
« Reply #113 on: August 16, 2005, 12:13:41 pm »
Michelle - How old is dd?  And what time does she go to bed?  We have had the same issue with Maya, sometimes waking and crying and hour or two after going to bed.  We think it is related to when we have a particularly busy day or do something more ambitious than stroll around the neighborhood in the hour before we put her down for the night.  But usually, she settles down pretty quickly and goes back to bed.  Sometimes dh changes her diaper just to distract her.

She also wakes in the middle of the night, it like you waking up and rolling over and going back to sleep.  Sometimes you never realize you were awake, sometimes it takes 20 minutes to get back to sleep.  Also, as they get more vocal, for whatever reason, they think the middle of the night is the perfect time to practice talking.  We do the same as you - leave her be unless she's getting upset.  However, we are very careful not to make any noise lest she hear someone else is up and want company.

We also have the same wake-up problem.  Although since her 6-mos growth spurt (I long for the days when she slept until 8am!), it has been between 5 and 6:30am.  This presents a dilemma, because I don't want her to get in the habit of waking up at 5am.  If she gets up before 6am, I feed her and put her straight back to bed.  But then, should I wake her, or just let her sleep through her morning nap, knowing she'll be up a little earlier than normal?  I've tried waking her, but that never seems to go well, and the day goes downhill from there.

Branwen - I love the photo.  We haven't had alot of time for gardening since Maya was born, so we keep the front nice, and call the back "the natural area".  Good thing we have a privacy fence or else the neighbors might have started complaining by now.
Deborah
#3 EDD 07/18/09
B 04/14/07 (ds)
M 01/13/05 (dd)

Offline Schae

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Jan/Feb 05 Babies chat!
« Reply #114 on: August 16, 2005, 13:33:55 pm »
This thread grows so fast! wow!

My apologies as I cannot respond individually, we're having a really hard time lately as Luka has hay fever. We discovered this yesterday. His nose has been runny, eyes watering, coughing and general miserableness! We were given anti histamines and cortizone (once off).
So we're battling on the night and nap sleeps. And to top it off, I'm ill too.  :(

Hi Nikki, nice to see a fellow South African :D
Proud mama to
Luka 22 Feb 2010 Textbook/Spirited
Tiisetso 18 Sep 2010 Textbook/Touchy
and three little angels

Offline Kinlagh's Folks

• Showing Appreciation 7
Jan/Feb 05 Babies chat!
« Reply #115 on: August 16, 2005, 14:14:17 pm »
Deborah - dd will be 7 months on Friday.  Her bedtime is between 7:15-7:45 (usually).  All depending on whether she gets an afternoon catnap or not.  We're in between 2-3 naps right now so all is a little "off" lately.  And yes, we wouldn't dare go in her room in the middle of the night when she's happy.  Friends of ours have gone in when their ds was chatting and as soon as he saw his parents, he wanted play time.  Sorry, mommy's in no mood for playtime at 2:30am. 

As for the morning, I never know what to do either when she's up early.  If she starts waking at 5:45 or so, we have left her and usually she falls back asleep til mom is ready.  However sometimes she's awake so dh has gone in and pat/shh and left the room so she knows it's not wake time yet.  And again, she's gone back to sleep.  So maybe try that and not feed her.  (treat it as a night wake)

Schae - poor Luka.  Hayfever at his age?  Poor little guy.  Did you have any eczema issues?  We're battling eczema and were told that she's prone to allergies as well.
Michelle

Born 19/01/2005

Offline GG

• Showing Appreciation 103
  • Chicagoland, IL
Jan/Feb 05 Babies chat!
« Reply #116 on: August 16, 2005, 14:42:29 pm »
Quote from: herbst99
I have included a pic of the area we live in - Somerset West - 30min from Cape Town.

Nikki, this is a beautiful view!!  That photo reminds me of the views I have from my relatives's homes in Patra, Greece.  I miss it so much!!!  DH, DS and I will be visiting them in October, so I will post some photos then.

Come to think of it, I should have some photos from past trips.  I'll find and scan 1 or 2, as a comparison.   :D  :D
Georgia, mom to 3 sweet babes: touchy Foti, spirited Lena & not-so-tiny Joanna

Offline HeatherC

• Showing Appreciation 79
Jan/Feb 05 Babies chat!
« Reply #117 on: August 16, 2005, 14:48:27 pm »
Well, I feel silly about posting the picture idea, and I haven't even done so yet.  But thanks for sharing.  All the pics are great. 
Christine, I'm in Knoxville.  I'm not sure how far it is to the Kentucky border, but I wouldn't think too far.  It would be great to meet!!!
I'm going to keep working on my pic.  I considered showing you the interstate construction mess since that is all that seems to go on around here.   :evil:   Or the football stadium, because Knoxville thrives on it's college football team.  Go Big Orange!!!
Kelsey, Feb. 4, 2005
Landon, Jan. 2, 2007

Offline Schae

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Jan/Feb 05 Babies chat!
« Reply #118 on: August 16, 2005, 15:23:21 pm »
Quote from: Kinlagh's Folks
Did you have any eczema issues?  We're battling eczema and were told that she's prone to allergies as well.

Yes, he has eczema. Poor guy. What worries me is the fact that it makes them more prone to asthma.  :?

Here's a view of Johannesburg:

concrete jungle
and a sunset in Joburg
Proud mama to
Luka 22 Feb 2010 Textbook/Spirited
Tiisetso 18 Sep 2010 Textbook/Touchy
and three little angels

Offline Kinlagh's Folks

• Showing Appreciation 7
Jan/Feb 05 Babies chat!
« Reply #119 on: August 16, 2005, 16:05:23 pm »
Quote from: Schae
Yes, he has eczema. Poor guy. What worries me is the fact that it makes them more prone to asthma.  :?

I know.  DH had eczema, asthma and allergies as a child.  Luckily, the only remaining one is the allergies (including peanuts).   I'm hoping DD won't have many other illnesses as eczema is tough enough to deal with.  How do you keep Luka's breakouts under control?
Michelle

Born 19/01/2005