Author Topic: Jan/Feb 05 Babies chat!  (Read 97704 times)

Offline HeatherC

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 79
Jan/Feb 05 Babies chat!
« Reply #300 on: August 28, 2005, 01:19:40 am »
I lost all my preg. weight the first week, but I was heavy to begin with.  I lost some extra weight, too, but I've gained it back and I'm were I was to start with.  I've been trying to eat less, and I considered a weight loss program, but they can get very expensive.  I'm just torn up about my boobs shrinking.  I didn't have much to begin with, but now I look like a pre-teen!!!   :shock:
I hosted a bridal shower for my sister today.  It was fun, but I was so stressed about my MIL keeping Kelsey.  Of course, everything was fine, but I was worried because she never seems to do what I tell her in terms of Kelsey's likes and particularities.  She just seems to make me feel silly when all I'm doing is telling her just how Kelsey likes things done.  Oh, well.
Hope everyone had a good weekend.  Oh, and the mid-nap poop is driving me crazy!  It's waking her an hour into the first nap when she would normally sleep 1.5-2 hours.   :x
Tonight, I did the bottle at 4, solids at 5:30, and bottle at 7, and it worked just fine.  I think I'll stick with it as long as I'll be home at 5:30.
Kelsey, Feb. 4, 2005
Landon, Jan. 2, 2007

Offline julieb

• Showing Appreciation 17
  • I think I need a bigger pool.
Jan/Feb 05 Babies chat!
« Reply #301 on: August 28, 2005, 06:06:37 am »
Oh, Heather, mid-nap poops are the worst!!   :?
Julie
DS 1/31/05 (spirited/textbook but a touchy sleeper)
DD 10/15/10 (textbook/angel/spirited)

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
Jan/Feb 05 Babies chat!
« Reply #302 on: August 28, 2005, 12:19:13 pm »
HI guys. we had computer issues today -somehow keyboard got locked and we did not know how to fix problem (thankfully friend's Dh works for microsoft so we got him to clue us in)

Tarri - sorry to hear night is still rough and that you are still in the land of the booger sucker  :)

i was down to within 2-3 pounds of pre-pregnancy weight when i stopped BF and unfortunately i have not been able to change my eating habits to match (after almost 3 years of either being pregnant or breastfeeding i have got in the habit of eating WHATEVER i wanted and not worrying about it).  now i have put back on a few pounds.  my new goal is to get my act together and get back to pre-alex weight (need to lose almost 10 pounds).  I have lost my boobs completely and am smaller on top now than when i was 15!!!  Dh is very sad as he is a boob man!!!  having said that i have not done any FORMAL exercise since i was 5 months pregnant with alex so consider myself lucky that i am naturally slim (not skinny).

Branwen - your teething situation sounds terrible, but good to hear your positive news too!!

Jaime - happy birthday to you! happy birthday to you! happy birthday dear Jaime! Happy Birthday to you! (at least you did not have to hear me sing out of tune  :wink: ) How was your night out?  what did you get up to?

Us - i am still struggling to figure out olivia's magic # for awake time from wake up to 1st nap in order to get more than 45 min out of her. i tried to keep her up for 2hr+ this mornign and it failed miserably - not sure if she was overtired or just needed to  poop, but after 45 min of failure to sleep i checked again and she seemd wet but i did not see poop and then when i checked AGAIN there was poop.   i changed her and resettled and still nothing.  she was hungry bit i was trying to make her wait for next feed. ended up feeding and she drowned the whole 130ml/ 4 oz offered and fell asleep in my arms finally 3 1/2 hrs after waking.  after 20 min she woke with a jolt and that was that  :evil:  so between 7am and 12:15 pm she slept 20 min.  thankfully her next 2 naps were 1hr 30 but that first nap is driving me crazy!!! should i just accept that she will need to have 3 naps that will be 45 / 1hr 30 / 45 (or 1hr 30)?  part of me thinks so - it would work better for me because then i could get out more in the am knowing she just needs a 45 min nap in the pram (did this Friday at playgroup) and focus on the 2nd nap which is the one Alex shares with her and she will keep for ages??  any ideas
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified

Offline thitz

• Showing Appreciation 13
  • Emily and Elliot
Jan/Feb 05 Babies chat!
« Reply #303 on: August 28, 2005, 13:54:09 pm »
Everyone, thanks for sharing your weight stories.  It seems we're all in different places. 

I looked at the grobags online and they cost a fortune.  I wonder if I could make one.  Is it just a sack that buttons up at the shoulders?  Their website doesn't give a very good picture on what it looks like.

Debra,  I think you're right to make the second nap that Olivia shares with Alex the most important.  As long as she's not too cranky all morning and still sleeping thru the night.

Jamie, Happy Birthday yesterday!

Branwen, what do you do with Eirwen while you're at yoga?

Us,  Emily has started to put her head down towards the ground during tummy time and trys to bring her legs up underneath her.  I think this might be a sign of trying to crawl? 8)   

I've had trouble with the mid-day nap 2 days in a row again.  I think cause even though I'm waiting till 11:00am to feed the second meal she's still not hungry and drinking only 4 oz no matter how hard I try.  So this morning I cut back on the morning feed in the hopes that she'll eat more the second time and then sleep more the second time.  But overall she's in good spirits. 

Last night went well till midnight then all @#$! broke lose and she was awake every hour or less till 7:00am.  I think dh went in too early.  Then since I was laying awake anyways at 2am I took over, went in once and then she did fussy cry noises for 45 mins and finally fell asleep for an hour.  But the night before she slept thru till 6:00am :? .  She's all over the place.

Have a good day everyone!  Tarri

Offline julieb

Jan/Feb 05 Babies chat!
« Reply #304 on: August 28, 2005, 18:07:43 pm »
Deb, I would also tend to relax on the AM nap.  I mean, go ahead and experiment, but don't let it stress you out.  As she gets older, this AM nap is supposed to naturally get shorter and shorter as the PM nap extends.  Also, when you vary the A time, do you do it for a few days in a row before switching?  Sometimes I don't see results right away.  How are you extending?  Watching for tired signs + 15 minutes?  That usually works for Asher.

Tarri, I also noticed the gro bags are expensive.  I ordered a thin cotton Halo sleep sack instead.  I get it on Tuesday.

Us, I think we're done with the catnap, except on the days he wakes really early and doesn't compensate on his other naps (probably 1/5 days).  I've noticed he has a hard time going to bed on nights he has the nap since his awake time has become much longer (2-2.5 hrs).  I have to make sure he's up from that nap by 5:30 and put him to bed later, at 7:30.  And sometimes, that still doesn't even work.

We tried homemade brown rice cereal.  He hates it.  He actually gags and tries to clear it from his mouth with his hand.  I don't know if it's the texture or the bland taste.  I've tried mixing it with a little pears or bananas and he still seems to figure it out.  I'm not sure how to get it less lumpy, I had it in the food processor forever!  I'll keep trying though.  Hope I didn't spoil him by giving two fruits first!  :roll: [/b]
Julie

Offline HeatherC

• Showing Appreciation 79
Jan/Feb 05 Babies chat!
« Reply #305 on: August 28, 2005, 18:28:47 pm »
In case you haven't check Babies R Us already, here's the link to the sleep sack in cotton:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00008KWO8/qid=1125253613/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/102-0585729-2490568?v=glance&s=baby

I hope I did that correctly.
Kelsey, Feb. 4, 2005
Landon, Jan. 2, 2007

Offline dkjokisch

• Showing Appreciation 43
« Reply #306 on: August 28, 2005, 19:49:40 pm »
Well, we're still dealing with 5am wake-ups and 45min naps issues, but yesterday was such a good day!  Dh and I desperately needed some sleep, so we just put her back to bed after the 5am feeding and didn't wake her up at 7:30.  She slept until 8:30, giving us some much-needed rest.  She was in pretty good spirits for most of the day.  And most amazingly, we had a houseful of people for a cookout, and she was all smiles all evening.  We didn't let her get passed around very much, but she even let one of dh's coworkers (a bachelor at that!) hold her for a good 20min while he minded the grill.  She even stayed up an extra 1/2 hour (another mom was nursing in her room) without getting cranky.

And I got to meet some other nursing moms.  Other than the BW site, until yesterday, I only knew two.

Deb - You're right - A photo album she could chew on would be ideal.  I have been looking for brag books for both grandmas, so I'll have to keep an eye out.

She up - got to go.
Deborah
#3 EDD 07/18/09
B 04/14/07 (ds)
M 01/13/05 (dd)

Offline thitz

• Showing Appreciation 13
  • Emily and Elliot
Jan/Feb 05 Babies chat!
« Reply #307 on: August 28, 2005, 23:54:11 pm »
Hello again,

JulieB, thanks for pointing out that the morning nap is supposed to get shorter and the afternoon longer.  (Is that in the BW book somewhere?)  This makes me feel better cause today Emily only slept 1 hr in the morning and then almost 2 hrs in the afternoon and didn't want to sleep during her catnap.  And she was a fairly happy baby all day.  I wonder should I shorten her morning nap to less than 1.5 hours?  What do you think?

Heather, thanks for the link.  That's definately more affordable.  I think I saw something similar at Walmart.  I'll have to check them out.

Everyone, could you post your lo's routine?  I'm trying to tweak Emily's still.  What is your total day sleep and night sleep hours?

Here's us:
7:00  solids and formula
9:00  nap1 (1-1.5 hr)
11:00 formula
12:45 nap 2 (45-2hr)
2:30  solids and formula
4:30  nap 3 (0-1.5 hr)
5:30  solids and formula
6:30  bed
8:15  df formula

Hope everyone gets lots of sleep tonight :?  :) , Tarri

Offline julieb

Jan/Feb 05 Babies chat!
« Reply #308 on: August 29, 2005, 03:20:56 am »
Tarri, I'm pretty sure it's in BW.  Try looking under 2-1 nap transitions or recommended sleep for a 9-12 mth old.  I know I've read it in a few books, healthy sleep habits for a happier child was one.  Matter of fact, that author recommends making the morning nap short from early on, like an hour or something.  I didn't really agree with him (he's a very contradictory author), because he sites at other times not to wake a sleeping baby.   :roll:   I think if they'll sleep longer and it doesn't effect other naps or nighttime sleep, let them!  Now with Asher, I've noticed if I let him have a 2.5 hour morning nap, the afternoon nap is often only 45 min - 1.5 hours.  Sometimes I'll wake him when I hear a transition if he's gone over 2 hours.  If he sleeps long in the afternoon, I let him.  I think if you make their morning nap too short, you run the risk of having an overtired child who doesn't sleep well the rest of the day/night.  It's a delicate balance.  Whatever you do, give it a good try for several days in a row before switching things up again.  Results are not always immediate, especially if they're catching up sleep from having many days/nights of poor sleep.  You have to wait for the overtired cycle to break.  I wouldn't shorten Emily's morning nap until you've given this a good run, then maybe you can do some experimenting.

This is our IDEAL schedule:
7:00 wake
7:20 BF
8:20 solids
9:30 nap 2 hours (lately has only been 1.5 hours)
11:30 wake, BF
12:30 solids
2:00-2:15 nap 2 hours (lately has only been 1.5 hours)
4:00-4:15 wake, BF
*5:00 catnap for 30-40 min ONLY if naps were short, poor, etc)
5:30 solids
6:30 BF
7:00 bed
Julie

Offline branwen

• Showing Appreciation 21
Jan/Feb 05 Babies chat!
« Reply #309 on: August 29, 2005, 11:49:19 am »
Hi Tarri,

We've done a lot of transitioning lately to the 4 hr schedule but due to teething and what I discovered yesterday was constipation (poor baby cried with BM's :cry: ) her naps have been shorter.  They are anywhere from 0 to 2 hrs.  Lately she has been skipping the afternoon completely, but I guess this matches the book (the 4 hrs before bed which for Eirwen is 1-5).

It was driving me crazy but I've decided to just go with it as she is getting older and I think everything just changes around this time.  I have decided as long as she sleeps the night, is happy when waking I'm not worrying about it too much.  I of course would prefer that she get in at least one 2 hr nap. :wink:

This is our new ideal:

6:00 wake and bf
7:00 breakfast
7:30 1st nap (1-2 hrs)
10:00 bf
11:00 lunch
11:30 2nd nap (1 to 2 hrs)
1:30 bf
2:30/3 3rd nap (0 to 2) :shock:
4:30 dinner
5:00 bath
5:30 bf and bed (asleep at 6)
Branwen
Mama to Eirwen 1/22/05

Offline Deb_in_oz

Jan/Feb 05 Babies chat!
« Reply #310 on: August 29, 2005, 12:06:26 pm »
just a quick one tonight.  here is a typical day for us at 6 months

wakes and eats 7-7:30
will be adding in solids for breakfast as of tomorrow - figuring 8:15-8:30
9 or 9:30 nap 1 (45min usually)
11:00 formula, followed by solids around 11:30-12
12:30 nap 2 (1.5 hr)
3:00 formula
4:30 nap 3 (45min-1.5 hr) - or like today no nap, but still ok to make rest of schedule stay the same
6:30 bath and bottle
7:15 bedtime
10:30 df formula

off to meet other BW sydneysiders tomorrow morning - will log on when girls are napping  :D  hope everyone has a good day!

Offline Deb_in_oz

Jan/Feb 05 Babies chat!
« Reply #311 on: August 29, 2005, 12:08:03 pm »
just a quick one tonight.  here is a typical day for us at 6 months

wakes and eats 7-7:30
will be adding in solids for breakfast as of tomorrow - figuring 8:15-8:30
9 or 9:30 nap 1 (45min usually)
11:00 formula, followed by solids around 11:30-12
12:30 nap 2 (1.5 hr)
3:00 formula
4:30 nap 3 (45min-1.5 hr) - or like today no nap, but still ok to make rest of schedule stay the same
6:30 bath and bottle
7:15 bedtime
10:30 df formula

off to meet other BW sydneysiders tomorrow morning - will log on when girls are napping  :D  hope everyone has a good day!

Offline Kinlagh's Folks

• Showing Appreciation 7
  • Toronto, Canada (I'm back baby!)
Jan/Feb 05 Babies chat!
« Reply #312 on: August 29, 2005, 12:51:57 pm »
Ok, I've been a slacker.  Page 32???  Oh my.

Heather - mid-nap poops are a pain.  But I think they must get used to it, cause Kinlagh still does but she doesn't wake any earlier for it. 

Debra - could Olivia be ready for 2 naps?  Kinlagh's naps were getting shorter (30-45 mins) until we dropped the late afternoon catnap all together.  She's now at two 1.5 hour naps.  It was a tough transition though. 

Jamie - Happy Belated Birthday!

JulieB - Good luck with the cereal.  It's probably something he'll just have to get used to now that he's tried the sweet fruit like you said.  You may need to take a couple days break and try again later.  You wouldn't want him to get too frustrated and hate eating! 

Tarri - our routine is working pretty well right now (1 week with successful naps)  Although Kinlagh has a month on Emily, I hope it helps.
7:30 - bottle
8:00 - solids
9:30 - nap #1 (1.5 hr)
11:30 - bottle
12:00 - solids
2:00 - nap (1.5 hr)
3:30 - bottle
4:00 - solids
7:00 - bottle
7:15 - bed

US - 3 poops per day for the last 4-5 days.   :shock:   I don't know if it's the prunes she's started or the recent teething.  It's crazy!  We had a couple of milestones this weekend too.  Kinlagh has started going on all 4s, rocking back and forth and crawling backwards.  Plus we have a few sounds coming out of her.  "Da-da-da"  "Ba-ba-ba" and "ma-ma-ma"  At least I get the honourable mention with the mamama.
Michelle

Proud mommy to Kinlagh Emilie
Born 19/01/2005

Offline branwen

• Showing Appreciation 21
Jan/Feb 05 Babies chat!
« Reply #313 on: August 29, 2005, 17:39:36 pm »
Hi everyone :D - I'm just wondering how you know when your lo's are done eating their solids.  what do they do?  or do you time it or set a certain amount to feed them?

Any suggestions to loosen stools would also be greatly appreciated.  We've tried bananas and prune juice but she is still straining a bit. :(

I'm trying to figure out what is constipating her too.  There wasn't anything new added to her diet- the only change was the drop of the cluster feed?
Branwen
Mama to Eirwen 1/22/05

Offline dkjokisch

• Showing Appreciation 43
« Reply #314 on: August 29, 2005, 17:42:19 pm »
Ok, I didn't get to finish yesterday...

Tarri - You mentioned a blow-up play tube.  What is it and where did you get it?  Pre-pregnancy size?  HA!  The answer would be no.  I am about 5lbs over, but I swear it takes up more space than it used to.  I have exactly two pairs of pants that fit (I have tried to buy new ones, but my shape is now very different and nothing fits quite right).  We are looking for an infant bike seat so I can strap Maya to the back of my bike once she's sitting up on her own.

Michelle - I'm with you on the stretch marks.  I actually made a friend of mine gasp in horror when I showed her.  She managed to make it through pregnancy unscathed.

Branwen - Congrats on the sitting!  I'm thinking about joining the Y (I want to get Maya used the the water), so I'll have to check and see if they have any yoga classes. 

Heather - I can completely relate.  When my mom or MIL has taken care of Maya, they give me these insulted stares that say, "Don't you think I have ever taken care of a child before?" when I'm only trying to share stuff that ought to make it easier for them.  With my mom it turned out to be a non-issue as she slept the whole time, but with MIL, Maya woke screaming 20min into her nap.  MIL ignored what I said and did everything I told her we don't do, then wondered why Maya didn't calm down.

JulieB - Have you tried infant rice cereal?  I think I read recently that you should start with infant cereal before progressing to the homemade.  It's easier on their digestive systems.  Also, are you mixing it with milk/formula or water?

Us - We're on day one of a true four-hour schedule (so Tarri, I can't really answer your schedule question right now); we'll see how it goes.  We also tried wake-to-sleep this morning to address the 5am wake-up issue.  It bought us another hour of sleep.  We're going to keep at it for the next few nights and see if we can't make that change permanent.  We had tried varying her bedtime last week to see if that had any effect, but we didn't notice any difference.
Deborah
#3 EDD 07/18/09
B 04/14/07 (ds)
M 01/13/05 (dd)