Author Topic: Jan/Feb 05 Babies chat!  (Read 97621 times)

Offline branwen

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 21
Jan/Feb 05 Babies chat!
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2005, 20:09:08 pm »
Oh hang in there Schae! ((hugs)) My days aren't near like that!  Is Luka teething now?  Does he have teeth yet?  I can't remember?  Have you tried PU/PD at all? Sounds like textbook separation anxiety to me?  He crawls!!! How cute!  I can't wait for Eirwen to get a bit more mobile...but maybe it's a good thing :wink:   She's taken a setback on sitting lately, (oh congrats also to Olivia :D ) She now seems to topple over a bit more but I think it is because she's more actively reaching for things out in front of her so she goes splat on her face sometimes!! :lol:  :oops:
Branwen
Mama to Eirwen 1/22/05

Offline branwen

Jan/Feb 05 Babies chat!
« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2005, 20:12:37 pm »
Deborah- yes, I recommended the Motrin, seems to really help Eirwen when I suspect teething.  Definitely good to watch for a reaction and to give on full tummy.  She did good with it.  Seemed to "fix" whatever the problem was, but I've only used it that once...I don't want to over medicate her...

Oh, we are the opposite on the schedule thing- ready to go to 4 hrs with feeds but not with sleep...I think I feel ok about going to 4 bf's because she now eats 4 oz of breastmilk mixed with the oatmeal throughout the day.  So that would be around 28 to 32 oz total (estimated from pumping).

She loves sweet potatoes!  It's the new thing!  Smacks her lips- too cute!
Branwen
Mama to Eirwen 1/22/05

Offline dkjokisch

• Showing Appreciation 43
« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2005, 22:50:13 pm »
Ok, so I think it may be teething.  Still no teeth, but she had on a white shirt this evening (incidentally, the fourth costume change today thanks to all the spitup), and there are some reddish stains around the collar.  Did any of your lo's gums bleed a little?
Deborah
#3 EDD 07/18/09
B 04/14/07 (ds)
M 01/13/05 (dd)

Offline Kinlagh's Folks

• Showing Appreciation 7
  • Toronto, Canada (I'm back baby!)
Jan/Feb 05 Babies chat!
« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2005, 00:18:55 am »
Deborah
- Maya's symptoms sound exactly like when dd was teething.  She chewed EVERYTHING and still does.  Her 2 bottom teeth came in the last week of July and an eye tooth is on the way (same way as her mommy's teeth came in).  She was very clingy and cried so much more than normal for a while before the teeth even showed up.  But we did notice a distinctive peek in the crying and sure enough, her gums were full (as if the teeth were right below the surface) and within days we had teeth!  I mean "she" had teeth (but I felt all the pain too, trust me) :shock:   Plus we battled naps too for weeks and only today did she start sleeping like herself again.  Let us know if there are signs of any teeth on the way??  And no bleeding by the way over here.
- As for Tylenol vs. Motrin, here's what I've been told by a pharmacist.  Both have the same effect however Motrin will last longer and may therefore be considered more effective.  But Motrin can also be a little harder on their bellies so watch out of your lo is sensitive.
- Has Maya started solids?  If so, what is she on?  DD was only comfortable with a 4 hour feeding schedule once her solids were firmly established with 3 meals per day.

Branwen - I totally agree with the sweet potato thing.  Have you tried squash yet?  Kinlagh was just as excited about those.  But now she's started this cute (but messy) spitting thing.  I have to coordinate my clothes with the veggie of the day cause I usually end up wearing it!!
Michelle

Proud mommy to Kinlagh Emilie
Born 19/01/2005

Offline julieb

• Showing Appreciation 17
  • I think I need a bigger pool.
Jan/Feb 05 Babies chat!
« Reply #49 on: August 12, 2005, 03:24:07 am »
Quote from: Kinlagh's Folks

and within days we had teeth!  I mean "she" had teeth (but I felt all the pain too, trust me) :shock: 
:lol:  :lol:  :lol:   I hear ya!!!   :wink:

Deborah:  I read that they can get an absess, or blood blister, under the gums and the tooth pops it as it comes through.  Totally normal.  We mainly had blood from all the chewing however!

I got bit two more times today by those little suckers!  Oh, and Asher gave himself a sore on his hand from the new teeth and all his thumb-sucking!  :roll:

What's an eye tooth?  I hear teeth come in pairs, 2 pairs at a time.  How soon before the other pair though?  Asher has been a maniac today.  Absolutely whined the whole day long and refused to take a catnap (first time ever!).   :shock:   He was in there for an hour and just wouldn't go to sleep (but was VERY tired) and kept crying/whining for me every 5 minutes.  I finally got him up, fed him again, and put him down for the night.

Oh, and wake-to-sleep...he was awake AGAIN when I tried to sneak in there this morning.  Not sure when I should re-time it.   It's not working yet.  I think I'm just gonna start solids this weekend.   :roll:  ARGH!
Julie
DS 1/31/05 (spirited/textbook but a touchy sleeper)
DD 10/15/10 (textbook/angel/spirited)

Offline Kinlagh's Folks

• Showing Appreciation 7
Jan/Feb 05 Babies chat!
« Reply #50 on: August 12, 2005, 11:43:32 am »
Julie - Eye teeth are the 3rd ones out from the middle top teeth.  So there's the middle two (central incisor), then the next one (lateral incisor), then the eye tooth (cuspid or canine) - the pointy ones.  Supposedly, these teeth usually come in around 16-22 months.  Kinlagh is a little early on those ones which is probably why she's in so much pain!!

And good for you on starting solids!  They did wonders for Kinlagh (routine, skin, growth...)  Good luck and have fun!
Michelle

Born 19/01/2005

Offline diyasmom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
Long time since I posted
« Reply #51 on: August 12, 2005, 16:56:04 pm »
Hi all

I have been trying to read all your posts but didn't find the time to post because Diya has started crawling backwards and I want to keep an eye on her and also her naps have become terrible(not that they were great to begin with!) Branwen, independent sleeping is not goin well for us I think. This is what we do. At her naptime, I hold her and slightly pat her. Then she looks around and pulls my nose and cheeks and what not and then finally relaxes and then starts sucking her thumb. I hold her for 5 more mins until she stops kicking her legs and is in a drowsy state with eyes closed. I put her in the crib and her eyes are wide open and she smiles at me and then goes to sleep most of the time. If I don't do this, then she misses her nap window and crawls/scoots in the crib and ends up crying real hard. I finally give in and hold her and we got a whopping 30 min morning nap yesterday :twisted:
I am going to try to put her in the crib more awake for the afternoon nap today. I never did a naptime winddown routine for her before. Do I have to consider this as a naptime  routine and start 10 mins before her nap time? What do you guys do to winddown your LOs? When do you start it before the naps? Please let me know.
Good news on the night wakings though! She doesn't wake up now consistently in the night. Sometimes, she wakes up early in the morning for the day. I can take that!
JulieB, Diya used to bite me real hard too when she got her teeth at 4.5 months. When I stopped and said no, she thought it was the biggest joke :D  I started bringing her very close to my breast almost smooshing her nose to my breast and she used to lose the suction and open her mouth. Once I did this for a couple of times, she stopped it:)
Branwen, how is the moving process going on for you? How is Eirwen sleeping?
Schae, sorry about the nightwakings. That must be real hard on you. I am actually breastfeeding Diya just before she goes to bed. She gets very drowsy but I put her down awake. I didn't read your post properly. Is it hard for him to go down or is he waking a lot?
Deborah, sorry about the rough time. Diya was super cranky 2 weeks before she got her first tooth. I could not do a thing. I gave tylenol a couple of times and it helped her. Try to give her something cold to bite on. Since she is becoming more mobile these days, we are having a tough time putting her down too.
Michelle, welcome! I love your DD's name! Wow, she is already getting her eye tooth!
Ladies, any word of advice on babyproofing and how did you keep your DCs away from pulling the knobs and pulls on drawers?
Thanks for reading the long book!
Vidya
Vidya
Diya 1/25/05 Angel/Textbook and very spirited

Offline Jaime

• Queen of the Wicker People
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 941
    • Laughable Lunacy
Jan/Feb 05 Babies chat!
« Reply #52 on: August 12, 2005, 18:24:32 pm »
just have time for a quick comment...

diyasmom - about the childproofing.  we put those locks on the cabinets jaina's not allowed to open.  we made sure to leave one cabinet unlocked and it has things that she can play with in it if she wants.

i was more concerned about our bookshelves.  i have too many books to relocate some from a toddler.  so i made one shelf full of her books.  it took some time but redirecting her to her shelf pretty much every time has kept our 'library' intact.
Jaime
~~~
DD - Textbook
DS - Touchy/Grumpy

Offline branwen

Jan/Feb 05 Babies chat!
« Reply #53 on: August 12, 2005, 18:56:45 pm »
Vidya- I think you can use your same routine for the wind down...similar to mine...the only thing is that I don't let her get to such a drowsy state, or close her eyes.  My wind down is usually 10 min before the nap.  We go upstairs and I change her diaper, turn down the air conditioner, turn down the lights, and we rock while I sing to her our two songs, sometimes she whines, sometimes she sighs or "oohhhs" at me, and then I put her in her crib and she plays with her feet for awhile.  I leave and eventually (about 5 to 10 min later) I don't hear anything on the monitor :D  It sounds like you're doing good- gradually lessening the time she is so sleepy on you...

Moving is stressful...have guys working on the house- been interesting but she actually slept this morning through the hammering, but the nail gun woke her around noon from her nap...all in all she's doing great with all the racket, also did not like the saw sound though- gave it a big pouty lip.

Eirwen is sleeping good at night- only new thing is she has taken to waking around 7:30pm (she goes to bed around 6) and will "sing" for a 1/2 hr.  She eventually goes back to sleep, and then wakes around 5:45 to start her day.  I can't complain!  The naps are somewhat difficult and I'm finding integrating solids challenging.  I am trying to get us on 2 naps but she isn't ready just yet, but she is sort of because her morning naps are shrinking and afternoon is extending...I'm actually having to wake her at 4:30 so she doesn't sleep through into her bedtime routine :shock: What is that!?  I can't figure out her awake time and she has been so whiney, pouty, grumpy, and not eating well.  Generally seems most content while sleeping or in her crib alone?  Maybe I just got a really antisocial independent type who prefers hiding, alone! Sniffle sniffle...
Branwen
Mama to Eirwen 1/22/05

Offline dkjokisch

• Showing Appreciation 43
« Reply #54 on: August 12, 2005, 19:37:40 pm »
Branwen - I'll loan you my touchy, clingy, dependent one if you like.  It sounds horrible, but there are days where by the end of the day, I would rather scour the bathroom than cuddle with dd.  I feel for you on the moving, though.  I can't get five minutes to get an uninterrupted shower.  I can't imagine trying to get a house ready to sell and packing everything.

Michelle - Today's been a bit better.  I just hope those teeth come in soon so I can get a break before the next set.  Maya's solids consist of ~2TBS of rice cereal twice a day.  Tomorrow, we start with the veggies, squash first, then maybe some sweet potatoes next week sometime.  I'd also like to try oatmeal soon.  In another week or two, I'd like to add a third meal. 

As for the Motrin, I'd like to try it with her, but I don't want to give it to her unless she needs it, and I want to make sure she has a full belly (she has kind of a sensitive stomach) and that she'll be awake for a while after I give it to her so I can watch for a reaction.  I just never think about it until she's fussy and it's time for a nap.  When she's well-rested a cold washcloth usually does the trick.

Well, we're off for the weekend.  It's Maya's first trip to Orlando (though we're going to see family, not Mickey).  I'll check back in on Monday.
Deborah
#3 EDD 07/18/09
B 04/14/07 (ds)
M 01/13/05 (dd)

Offline Kinlagh's Folks

• Showing Appreciation 7
Jan/Feb 05 Babies chat!
« Reply #55 on: August 12, 2005, 20:46:58 pm »
Quote from: dkjokisch
Tomorrow, we start with the veggies, squash first, then maybe some sweet potatoes next week sometime. 
May I make a suggestion?  DD (and I think most babies) tend to prefer the squash and sweet potatoes, so you may want to introduce the peas early as well.  So she doesn't get too spoiled by all the yummy veggies before the more bland ones.  Just a suggestion.

Quote (selected)
In another week or two, I'd like to add a third meal.
I think you'll notice a big difference in her once she's established on her solids.  DD's routine sure got alot easier and more predictable day to day.
Michelle

Born 19/01/2005

Offline julieb

• Showing Appreciation 17
  • I think I need a bigger pool.
Jan/Feb 05 Babies chat!
« Reply #56 on: August 12, 2005, 21:34:46 pm »
The saga continues!  :shock:   Asher woke up last night around 9:45 and couldn't breathe out of his nose (and therefore, could not suck his thumb!).  This has happened once before (can't figure how or why).  I had to use saline spray, suction, and keep him upright until it drained for about 15 minutes as he cried and wailed.  I tried to put him back to bed but he was mad (and I think he decided he was hungry since it had been 4 hours anyway).  I tried nursing him, but he got even more angry because my let down wasn't fast enough (my breasts aren't used to nursing at that particular time!).  Nothing was calming him down and he refused to keep trying to nurse.  We finally took him out of the room and sat/played quietly on the couch for 10 minutes so he could calm down.  Then I nursed him out there for a few minutes (it was mainly for comfort at that point).  He seemed okay and done so we headed back to bed, went down fine.  Five minutes later he was screaming his head off and wouldn't stop, despite PU/PD.   :shock:  I gave him some teething tablets, but not because he was teething!  It was the only way I could get him to put his thumb in his mouth and calm down.  Back to bed.  Screaming again.  More tablets.  Thumb in.  Back to bed.  Finally fell asleep about 11:00 pm.  He usually wakes around 1 or 2 to eat.  He woke at 3, but by time I made it to his door, he was quiet again!  :D   I did wake-to-sleep at 5:20 instead and I didn't hear from him until 6:30!!   :D   I knew by then he had to be STARVING, so I fed him and tried to put him back to bed for one last sleep cycle.  Didn't work though.  He played until I got him up at 7:00.   :shock:   What a roller coaster!

Vidya: I suspect you should put Diya down sooner, about the time she pops her thumb in and stops squirming.  How long is her window?  You could start right before or at the beginning of that window for your  wind down.
Julie
DS 1/31/05 (spirited/textbook but a touchy sleeper)
DD 10/15/10 (textbook/angel/spirited)

Offline branwen

Jan/Feb 05 Babies chat!
« Reply #57 on: August 12, 2005, 21:51:10 pm »
Oh Deborah- I'm sorry!  And I totally understand about both the toliet cleaning AND the shower (last night I finally got a shower in the 5 min it took my dh to feed her for bed- it had been a week-  :oops:)  Dh was complaining about his commute and I told him to stop complaining and he doesn't know how great is sounds to get in the car ALONE and drive for a couple of hrs drinking a latte and listening to an ipod of all my favorite music- (so sick of nursery songs let me tell you!)

If it makes you feel any better the whole time she is up she is whiney and clingy.  I do not understand her behavior, esp with toys, she has taken to pushing them all away and will squirm and kick and fuss until I remove everything and hold her....and then we eventually, after about 1.5 hrs of this (I give up) go up in the nursery I put her on the changing table and she's happy giggling as I change her diaper because why- it's nap time I guess!!! I'm so confused...I guess she went from hating naps 2 months ago to hating being awake :?  :(

Hi JulieB- Sorry Asher had such a rough night- AND you too  :(  It indeed might be time for the solids...you need a break I suspect.  Any clue as to what is bothering him?  How is your dh on all of this?  Oh, I guess that is kind of a dumb question because if you knew everything would be good right!!  tummy troubles?
Branwen
Mama to Eirwen 1/22/05

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
Jan/Feb 05 Babies chat!
« Reply #58 on: August 12, 2005, 22:43:24 pm »
have the house to myself and d2 is asleep so this will be a big catchup!

Hi everyone - it sounds like many of us are on a bumpy road this week. 

Vidya - congrats on the nightwakings settling down.  Also, I did the same as Jamie with childproofing.  in our kitchen i kept 2 cupboards + pantry unlocked.  1 is full of plastic bowls and steamers... and very heavy things and this is "alex's cupboard" whenever she would go tot he unlocked pots and pans cupboard or try to break open a locked one i would say "is that alex's cupboard? where's alex's cupboard?" and redirect her - it worked great during the toddler stage (14-18 mo) 

Schae - sorry you are having troubles with nightwakings - it just moves around the group doesn't it??? i imagine it will pass soon and unfortunately it will start for someone else  :roll:

Branwen - great that Eirwen is sleeping through much of the chaos - i imagine the nail gun and such is too sudden and that is why is disturbs her.  I am so sorry that she is whiney and clingy though. she is an adorable lilttle puzzle that one!  i bet she will be a very interesting kid to be around as she grows - and can tell you what she is thinking.

Deborah - thanks for the feeding advice.  we are already feeding pretty straight up since that was one of the first changes we did when we were having our early issues.  I hope you have/had a good trip!!!

Tarri - we were given the all clear to move back to unthickened formula (either she has outgrown that problem or it was just an aversion issue) and that helped with the pooping at least.  the mucus is still bad and her feeds are averaging 5oz (last few days her total is average of 25-28oz per day)  I am trying not to stress too much about it but fear that I will be wondering if she is hungry just like in the past - every time she naps badly i think was she still hngry?  hard to sleep if tummy not full?

It has been a bust for me most of the days this week and yesterday was the stinkiest one of all!  I am also in the screaming boat with Schae and Deborah.  it is happening more and more and yesterday afternoon was the worst.  she was up early yesterday (650am) so that moved everything earlier already and she had naps of 45 min and then 1 hr 15.  was up from 2pm and when i tried to put her down close to 4pm she was crying as soon as i put her on the change table.  then i got her ready for bed and she would not settle, i tried for a half hour and she kept crying whenever i left her.  this happened the previous day as well and she had been hungry and took a top up.  yesterday it was definitely not hunger - would not touch it!  she was the most upset i have ever heard her and nothing would keep her calm in her cot without me there (she also seemed happier being uprigjht which made me think teething).  she ended up being awake straight through until Dh got home and we fed her (calmed instantly in his arms and peacefully took bottle)  we skipped bath and bed rituals and put her down.  she woke at 1010pm (did not make it to DF) and then woke at 550am today to start her day!!! what the hell!  now she is already asleep for first nap at 8am (usually up between 7-7:30) what the heck do i do today - feed more often and get in a 4th nap ? pray for 3 long naps??  what is going on????  any advice?  teething and seperation anxiety are my 2 gut instincts but not sure if 1 or both.  she still has oral issues and won't take the soliuds and gets hysterical if i try to get her to open her mouth for pain relief  :roll:   I don't want to break her trust but found i had to squirt in the Panadol while she was crying as her mouth was open - that was a mistake and i felt awful.  Last night i put it in her bottle - is that ok??  i know she won't get the full dose but it is better than nothing getting in her mouth the other way.

To top ity all off my sister has left this morning so i am now officially ON MY OWN to get on with life with the 2 girls.  I am so terrified that I won't be abe to cope and am in tears thinking about it - i need to think positively but am so exhausted already and that is with my sister helping out a lot!!    All i really want is to feel rested!
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified

Offline sedona314

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 12
« Reply #59 on: August 13, 2005, 01:15:24 am »
HI everyone:

Thanks for the Matty picture comments.  I am trying to keep everyone's posts straight and want to answer everyone but its getting too hard with so many posts.  But I love it, keep em coming. 

Deborah, I keep meaning to tell you I love Maya's smile in the picture. How is she doing with the crying before sleep?

Debra:  What are you feeding Olivia?  Did you rule out allergies? cause it honestly sounds a lot like food allergies to me.

Branwen, How is your lo doing?  I look at that adorable picture and think, how can she be so touchy? she is too adorable.

Christine, you're right about the same expression.  Matty smiles all the time but my camera is sooooooo slow and always clicks the shot after he stops smiling.  Its very frustrating!

Michelle:  Welcome!

Schae:  how is Luka's sleep going?

JulieB:  I was up four times last night!  I hear you!!!

Whoever I missed, please dont take it personally, I read all the posts and know that even if I dont answer you directly, I sooooooooo understand the ups and downs we all go through.

Matty is getting better at his outings, not so fussy as long as I keep him in the sling that is.  If I put him in the stroller he cries, but he's a happy camper in the sling.  And by the way, cant remember who asked, but he weighed 21 lbs 10 oz at his 6 month visit!  actually a week before six months.  He is huge!  but a solid little guy  :D

Im tired all the time, and Im not sure what to do.  thinking of consulting a sleep expert.  I actually found a person in my area who trained with Baby Whisperer!!! and I started talking to her tonight.  I have to find out what her fees are.  Im hoping she can help and we can afford her.  I'll let you all know what happens.

Julie

Hugs to every mom here who has had a cranky baby day, and everyone else too!
Matthew 1/31/05  spirited/textbook