Author Topic: 3 yr old does not sit at all for meals  (Read 2162 times)

Offline christine1967

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: August 03, 2005, 19:22:16 pm »
Help,  our 3 yr old son wont sit and eat meals with us,  when we are eating,  he is constantly climbing on us or begging us to go outside with him,  what can we do to get him to sit with us and eat?  He is not a small child and does not get too many snacks,  Of course he wont turn down the desserts which seem to "wind him up"  and make him hyper,  any suggestions?   christine

Offline Carmela's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2005, 10:13:52 am »
This is just my personal opinion as I don't have a 3 year old yet, but I would stand firm.  Make sure you never go outside during dinner time, that way he'll figure out that he's not getting it and stop asking.  I would stop the snacks until he starts eating a good dinner.  Once he sits and eats properly, then you can reward him with dessert and going outside after he eats.

Offline Lana

• Dragon Lady
  • Administrator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 1103
  • Red Ninjini
3 yr old does not sit at all for meals
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2005, 23:08:34 pm »
I have to agree with the previous poster.  I would not offer snacks or dessert and I would say very calmly over and over that he must sit at the table and eat.  If he does not want to eat then let him get down.  If he says he is hungry 15 minutes later then tell him he must sit at the table and offer him the rest of his supper.

It may sound harsh but you must stand firm to establish good eating habits and table manners.