Author Topic: How does the pat/shhh & pu/pd actually work?  (Read 1424 times)

Offline Libby's Mom

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
How does the pat/shhh & pu/pd actually work?
« on: August 08, 2005, 15:16:51 pm »
Hello out there.

I am new to the Tracy Hogg philosophies & my Libby is almost 5 months old.  I am attracted to the humane approach Tracy takes, but am having some difficulties understanding some practices.  I think I understand what you are supposed to DO during pat/shh &/or pu/pd, but I don't understand HOW they actually work.  How does patting my baby on the back & shhhing teach her how to go to sleep?  I'm worried that the patting on the back is becoming a prop - is that possible? :?

Recently she has also taken to crying much harder when I start to shhh (after shooting me a disgusted look) - what's that all about?!?
Libby's Mom

Offline Taylor's Mommy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 17
  • Long Beach, CA
    • http://www.taylormadellc.com
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2005, 15:57:57 pm »
Hi there,

there is an excellent sticky on this board about pat/shush that you should read, as it answers a lot of questions/concerns that a lot of us have had about pat/shush becoming a prop...and don't worry, it doesn't as long as you learn to back off of it when dd is ready.  the goal of pat/shush is to calm them/keep them calm when falling asleep in their crib from an awake state.  Over the course of time you should notice that you will not need to pat/shush as long, so you can slowly back off of the patting and shushing until eventually you lie her down and maybe pat a couple of times and she's off to sleep.

the tricky thing is though that pat/shush may start to lose it's effectiveness as the baby gets older, and since your dd is already 5 months it may not be working as well and may need to do pu/pd.  this method is intended for to stay with the child the whole time you are teaching her how to sleep, and giving her the opportunity to learn how to self-soothe, ie, sucking her thumb or whatever.  Once my dd turned 3 months pat/shush wouldn't work anymore so I started pu/pd and it worked excellently.

I'm not really sure if your dd needs this, but if you think she does, I suggest readign the sleep interview as well as the 2 posts by Theo's mom on pu/pd and pat/shush and then come up with a plan. 

Tracy's methods are wonderful but sometimes need some tweakign to fit your particular situation/baby, so don't be afraid to do that.  the key is consistency.  Her new book is also an awesome resource!

Good luck!
Andrea
Andrea
Taylor-Textbook Baby
DOB 04/19/05

Sydney-too soon to tell, but looking EASY
DOB 05/20/07

Offline Libby's Mom

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2005, 16:48:42 pm »
Thank you, Andrea.

I have only recently got Tracy's new book - it is an excellent resource and I will read the sticky as you suggest.

I have been pat/shhhing as dd is lying down until she melts into the mattress.  She really seems to need this to calm down.  I tried swaddling, which worked when I was successful, but no matter how I try, she gets out of it IMMEDIATELY!  Besides, she gets very hot when she's swaddled.

Thanks for your help,
Libby's Mom
Libby's Mom