Author Topic: 5-1/2 weeks old  (Read 2442 times)

Offline stopjo

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: August 08, 2005, 15:55:58 pm »
Hi,
My son is almost 5-1/2 weeks old.  His birth weight was 6.14 and he wieghs 9 pounds when I checked with the home scale now.  I supplement formula with pumped milk.

If I am going with EASY 3-hr schedule, how much should I feed him every 3 hour?  How much should he drink in 24 hours?

Thank you
Jo

lil'monkey

5-1/2 weeks old
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2005, 16:56:37 pm »
Congrats on your lo!

Generally, it is 2.5 oz X weight (lbs).  However, all babies are different so feed him as much as he wants.  When dd was at that age she fed more in the evening than in the morning. And I fed her as often as she wants, 2.5 -3 hrs.  I just went with her cues as we were just trying to get to know each other.

Offline stopjo

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2005, 17:37:35 pm »
Hi Mimi,
Thank you for your reply.  He started drinking 4 oz at a stretch.  He was crying if I stop at 3 oz.  So, I made sure, I waited atleast 4 hours before his next feed.  And gave some water if he won't stop crying.  I made sure I gave only 4 oz a day.  He also started sleeping long hours (6 to 7) during night.  He was having 22-24 oz a day.  This went on for a week.   Then I called advice nurse and she said, I am feeding too much at once.  So, I started giving him 3.25 oz every feeding.  Now the feeding amount per day has increased to 24-26 oz.  And he wakes up in the middle of the night.  Also, I am feeding more than before.  Which one to follow?  I'm confused.

Also he doesn't sleep more than 30-40 minutes between feeds during the day time.    I rock the bassinet for almost 30 minutes and he sleeps only for 10 minutes after that.  He cries a lot.  He tries to put his thumb but not successful.  I gave pacifier he doesn't like it.  The only way he sleeps atleast an hour is, if I walk with him on my shoulders or on his tummy on my lap.  Which leaves me with no time for anything    :cry:

Jo

lil'monkey

5-1/2 weeks old
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2005, 20:55:23 pm »
I would feed him till he is satisfied and to go 4 hrs between feeds during the day might be too long for him at this age.   Also with the 3 hr schedule you are able to fit in an extra feeding during the day so that he has enough calories, thus no extra nightwakings for food.  One feeding in the middle of the night is great, so don't worry too much!  If ds is waking for a extra feeding in the night, he could be having a 6 wks growth spurt.  To discourage the night feedings from becoming a habit, have you tried the dreamfeed or clustered feeding?

As for naps, check out this thread
http://www.babywhisperer.com/forum/how-tracy-helped-josie-and-her-family-get-past-45-min-naps-vt649.html

HTH

Offline stopjo

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2005, 23:57:06 pm »
Thank you Mimi.  I couldn't reply you soon since he just went for a nap.  He won't sleep.  He took a nap from 12:15 to 12:45 and that's it and started disturbed nap since 4:10

I will try that and will let you know how it goes.
Jo