Author Topic: This 30-45 minute thing is getting worse! (9 week old)  (Read 1580 times)

Offline jett5113

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
This 30-45 minute thing is getting worse! (9 week old)
« on: August 08, 2005, 16:42:30 pm »
I don't know if we've created our problems with accidental parenting or what?!  But, it seems to be getting worse and worse and I wish I knew the "right" thing to do...

My ds is 9 weeks today and definitely a spirited baby.

What we do:
He is *always* swaddled (using the miracle blanket) to sleep since he can't sleep without it.  We introduced a pacifier as part of the bedtime (both naps and night) routine since he seemed to want to suck -- he closes his eyes much faster with it.  At first, he would wake up when it fell out, but now as long as it doesn't fall out too soon (like in the first 10 minutes), he can continue to sleep when he spits it out. 

The issue:
He started waking up 30-45 minutes after going to sleep for naps, like clockwork.  We'd watch him on the video monitor.  His eyes get wide open, and he thrashes his head from side to side -- if the pacifier happens to still be in at that point, it falls out.  He fusses, and we wait.  Within a few minutes, it escalates to crying.  We go in at that point, and trying to settle him by either putting the pacifier back in, shhing and patting or picking him up and rocking.  Sometimes he goes back down, sometimes not. 

If we nap him in the swing, he can sometimes get through the 45-minute mark and end up having a long nap.  Otherwise, he is never getting through it on his own anymore (he used to) -- did we create that?  What should we do? 

And now, we are starting to have nighttime sleep issues too.  He used to go for 4-5 hour stretches at night.  Now, if he gets past the 45-minute mark, he may go 1.5-3 hours and then wake up (same thing, the fussing when we wait, then becomes awake crying) -- but doesn't seem like a hungry cry.  We try the pacifier to hold him over and he sometimes goes back down for another 45 minutes and then wakes up again so I feed him.  I'm definitely feeling the effects of less sleep...

Sorry this is so long.  Any suggestions?  Is this just a phase he'll grow out of?  I don't want to create bad habits or make him lose his self-soothing ability, although it already seems lost?! :(

I don't know if we go in too soon?  Even if he is doing the cough-crying and looks totally awake, are we supposed to leave him as long as he doesn't scream?  Help, please!?! 

Thanks in advance...

Offline jett5113

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2005, 16:44:08 pm »
DS is breastfed, and feeds every 2-2.5 hours during the day...He seems content and satisfied with the feedings and is gaining weight well..

Offline shem2005

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2005, 02:32:04 am »
My DD is also 9 weeks and i am having the same problem. She is good at going to sleep but seems to wake around 40 minutes. I am only having a little success this week getting her resettled. I have just left her in her bassinett and pat and sh until she is calm.

I would love some advice as well cause I know she can get to sleep on her own so i don't know why she doesn't go back to sleep if she wakes after 40 minutes.

Maybe if we just keep resettling they will get it??? Once they get more confidence in the routine then they might have the confidence to go back to sleep. My DD is pretty fine of a night but it is only her day naps.

Offline lovingabby

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2005, 10:42:49 am »
hello,
This is a frustration for a lot of moms, including me. There is a thread under the NAP section called surviving 45 minute naps that has a lot of good ideas. HTH.
Suzanne
Mom to Abigail - spirited, touchy, reflux baby

Offline theycallmemom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2005, 15:48:10 pm »
Hi there!
I just wanted to let you know that my third dc is 10 weeks old and a really good sleeper.  He puts himself to sleep with no help from me anymore as did all my kids at this age.  However, every single one of them, him included have gone through the 45 min nap ordeal.  And I know it's not anything I have done.  I also know that my first two outgrew it by the time they were about 6 months old, so this time I am not worried about it.  It's their immature brains, daytime sleep does not organize until they are 5-6 months old, so developmentally they are just not ready for consistant long daytime naps.
Try not to worry!  It will pass.  Sometimes I can get ds to go back to sleep in his crib, sometimes I will put him in the swing and he'll go back to sleep for a while, and sometimes we just play.  My point is, there's nothing you can do about it, and it will get better!!
HTH
Darci