Author Topic: Waking every hour all night long + no real naps?!  (Read 1598 times)

Offline jett5113

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Waking every hour all night long + no real naps?!
« on: August 09, 2005, 12:27:17 pm »
My son turned 9 weeks yesterday.  I'm not sure what happened, but we've gotten progressively worse and now are in the situation where he is waking every 1-2 hours all night long, plus doing at most 30 minute naps.  He just won't sleep.  He still smiles but is also fussy as a result (and I'm now very fussy). 

He was doing well at night - somewhere between 3.5 - 7 hours stretches.  He is breastfed and we have only a light schedule -- we do follow eat-activity-sleep during the day, just not at very set times.  He eats about 2-2.5 hours after he last finished eating during the day.

As far as routine, he is spirited so we swaddle him to put him down, and we use a pacifier -- the pacifier used to calm him to the point that he would close his eyes soon after starting to suck, but we've seemed to lost that too.  We put him down awake but sleepy and he can usually fall asleep the first time (but not after awaking). 

In terms of the every hour nights -- he goes to sleep, wakes up at one hour but doesn't seem hungry.  We've tried giving him back the pacifier (he'll just lay there trying to kick and flail while swaddled with his eyes open and fuss with the pacifier in), rocking back to sleep (still up in another hour), feeding (still up in another hour, doesn't seem to eat much)...and it seems to be a vicious cycle and be getting worse. 

Help?!?  Any suggestions?  How did he go from good to bad?

Offline jayne

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 184
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2005, 18:37:50 pm »
oops :oops:
jayne

dd#1  05-14-2001
dd#2  08-06-2004

Offline jayne

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2005, 18:39:59 pm »
hmmm how is he during the day?? could it be gas?? could you have eaten diffently?? do you drink caffine?? i didnt bf but heard that can keep them up??just trying to think of anything that could be different.. what is his schedule like during the day??

he is spirited and maybe he is just looking around a bit more.. has he found his thumb?? try leaving out his one hand when you put him down...

give me a bit more info-- i would love to help
jayne

dd#1  05-14-2001
dd#2  08-06-2004

Offline jett5113

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2005, 18:41:37 pm »
His days are also bad now - he will go down awake for naps, swaddled with a pacifier and usually fall asleep on his own.  But, he now wakes up at 30 minutes (whereas he used to wake up after 2 hours)...

As far as schedule, we are on a loose 3 hr EASY schedule.  He eats, plays for a little bit until we see sleepy cues and then goes to bed. 

He is only bf...9 weeks old this past Monday and just under 11 lbs...

We've thought on and off he had gas, but he really isn't pulling his feet up to his belly.  I'm eating very conservatively, and no caffeine.  I wish I knew if it was just a phase....

For daytime, he'll sleep in the swing and make it through the 30-45 minute mark, but not in his crib.

Offline jayne

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2005, 18:56:14 pm »
could it be possible that you are missing his sleepy cues?? a spirited baby can go from being okay to YIKES I NEED TO SLEEP NOW!!!

I  would try to go by the clock more and when you get to about 20 min before bedtime take him to his room and play quiet and do a winddown.. with a spirited baby they take a bit longer to winddown sometimes.. you may not get any activity time for a bit.. try doing all quiet play and see if that helps.. he may just be overstimulated and not able to unwind..

hth
jayne

dd#1  05-14-2001
dd#2  08-06-2004