Author Topic: can't get reflux baby to sleep by himself  (Read 1331 times)

Offline loulou1

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
can't get reflux baby to sleep by himself
« on: August 09, 2005, 21:38:20 pm »
My baby is seven months old is on his sixth ear infection and fourth burst eardrum.  When he was born and had his first feed it was SMA and I didn't know then that he would be allergic to it.  At two weeks it caused to have blood in his poo.  He was then put on Soya milk and within 24hrs he was even more allergic to this. I also tried breastfeeding but due to reflux he had to have Gaviscon, so I tried expressing but couldn't make enough milk.  He is now a milk that agrees with.  With this, it has been accompanied lots of ear infections and tonsilitus.  He is ill almost every other week.  Because he has had so many anitbiotics he either allergic to them or now becoming immune. At night time he is very good and would go to sleep quite happily by himself but can't as he rolls onto his tummy and spits up big time. 

I wish I could help him but I am always told by doctors and paedatricians that he will grow out of it.  How am I supposed to give my todler who is three a bedtime story if I am having to stay with the baby to get him to sleep.  When is it going to end?

Offline dallinsmommy

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2005, 22:17:19 pm »
Wow; I'm so sorry. It sounds like you've got a lot going on. I'm sorry about the health of your little one too; hopefully he'll grow out of all of his troubles.

I have a ten-week-old (and he's my first) so I definetely don't have much experience; however, my little guy has awful reflux as well. He's been on Zantac since around four weeks. The Zantac removes the acidity of the vomit/spit up in his throat, but he still throws up frequently. We found that if we hold him upright for 20-30 minutes after he eats it helps a LOT. We also raised his crib matress so he's sleeping more upright on an angle. This has helped as well. I wish I had more ideas; you've probably tried both of these-but, just in case you might want to give them a shot.

Is there someone that could watch your little one so you can have some free time with your toddler? I once read a good quote about spending time with kids. As much as infants need all of our attention; it's the toddlers and school-age kids that are going to remember if we were there for them once the younger sibling arrived. The infant won't remember; so if your toddler needs some time; leave your infant for a bit and focus on the other sibling. He/she is probably having a rough time too.

Good luck; I hope that things start looking better for you.

Offline Dian

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2005, 23:14:13 pm »
maybe a way
           PIA  VICTORIA