Author Topic: Squirming and shush pat  (Read 1452 times)

Offline GemmaLucy

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: August 10, 2005, 09:10:43 am »
Help! I am trying to do shush pat with my 3 month old, who resists going down for naps and typically wakes up 20 mins into a nap.  The problem is that, when I try to hold her and pat her she squirms and arches her back and struggles against the swaddle so much that she gradually winds herself up into a screaming frenzy.  So it seems that I'm winding her up instead of down.  I have tried continuing with the shush pat regardless, but she can continue screaming (full-on, red face) for over 1.5 hours, by which time nap time is over.  I've tried leaving 1 or 2 arms out of the swaddle, but this doesn't help either.  The only thing that seems to calm her is vigorous rocking and dummy (but even this isn't very reliable).
Has anyone else had this problem? How do you hold a baby and do shush pat when they struggle so much? Do you try to hold them more tightly to stop the struggling? (This would be difficult if I needed to leave one hand free for the patting, and I also find I need to use a vice-like grip which is hardly very comforting).
I am pretty sure that I'm catching her at the right point. When she does her first yawn, she's pretty calm.  It's the shush patting which then drives her into a frenzy. But I've aso tried putting her in the cot pretty quickly, without much shush patting, but she still winds up screaming.
I would really appreciate some advice.  Nap times are definitely getting worse and worse and I'm now at a point where I'm lucky if I can get her to sleep for 20 mins each nap and she's definitely overtired. Help!

Offline cwolff

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
Squirming and shush pat
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2005, 23:05:19 pm »
I swear it could have been me writing your post.  My 3 month old does the same thing.  She hates pt/shush.  She hates being on her side, and the shushing seems to make her much more upset.  I don't have a reliable solution yet, but this has worked for me in calming my DD down.  I do the windown routine, and i've made it a bit longer because my daughter is a bit touchy.  Sometimes pt/shush for touchy babies is too stimulating, which is what I think is happening.  Anyway, I swaddle her downstairs, talking to her and letting her know it's naptime, and pick her up to go upstairs.  She starts squirming in the swaddle and before I would try to calm and hold her down.  We would sit in the rocking chair in her room, but she would start fussing and getting worked up and arching.  Now, instead of fighting with her, I tell her in a calm voice, I'm not going to fight with you and I get up and lay her in the crib.  I take my hands off of her and see if she is getting more or less worked up.  If she is more worked up, I pick her up, pat her on the back for a couple minutes but if she fights me, I put her right back down and repeat to her that I won't fight with her.  I try my best to calm and soothe her in the crib by patting her tummy, leaning over and whispering in her ear.  The past couple of times I haven't had to pick her up more then once, she will calm and eventually go to sleep in 10-15 minutes in the crib.  I think the key for her is that she now knows that if she fights me, she goes into the crib.  She has even let me hold her in the rocker without fighting me for a little bit and then I can put her in the crib drowsy.  I don't know if this will help you, but I wouldn't do pt/shush for your dd if it's making things worse.

Offline Leann

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Squirming and shush pat
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2005, 14:34:34 pm »
I used to lay my forearms across his back and legs with gentle pressure instead of patting, because sometimes the patting was too stimulating.  That helped us.

Also...some babies by 3 months are ready for PU/PD instead of pat/shh, I've heard.  We didn't ever have to use PU/PD so I can't really give you any insight on it but I do know that the books talk about 3 months as a possible time to start using it.
Asher Walter, 21 Feb 2005
mostly textbook with a tiny bit of touchy

Offline CaedensMama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 166
    • Hand Full of Blessings
Squirming and shush pat
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2005, 14:45:54 pm »
I have found Caeden seems to like just my hand on him rather then the patting as well, especially going back to sleep
Jen
Mama to:
Caeden (6/05)
Colm (3/07)
Alannah (11/08)
Tadhg (8/10)
and Ailish due Sept 16, 2011