Author Topic: 6 week old - cat napping or growth spurt  (Read 5956 times)

Offline kyemickaj

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: August 10, 2005, 09:38:27 am »
I was wondering if anyone had any advice for me and my 6 week old who seems to cat nap during the day.  He is a very alert baby and has been since being born however, he seems recently to sleep for 10 minutes at a time during the day and wakes again.  This seems to make him really grizzly as he gets over-tired.  Initially, he slept fantastically and since he has reached 5 weeks, he seems to be more grizzly and not as predictable.

At night he usually sleeps well feeding every 3 - 4 hours but we have a terrible time at around 5am where he won't settle after his feed and I usually end up putting him in bed with me (not something I wanted to do).  He then falls back to sleep at around 6 or 7 only to wake again for another feed at 8am.  How can I solve this problem as I need my sleep too?

I have read that he may be going through a growth spurt, can this be just a stage he is going through?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Kylie
Mummy to AJ born 30/06/05

Offline Maddy's Mum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
    • The Family Website
6 week old - cat napping or growth spurt
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2005, 18:25:42 pm »
Hi there - it does sound like growth spurt - I would implement cluster feeding at bedtime and perhaps start a dreamfeed to really increase his calorie intake during the day, so that he will be able to start going longer at night.

Dee
x

Offline Sue & Syd

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
6 week old - cat napping or growth spurt
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2005, 15:01:11 pm »
You and I sound like we have the same baby! LOL  I was just coming on to get some answers as well so I will be interested to see what others say.

My little one also sleeps FANTASTIC at night but is horrible to put down during the day.  I am getting so tired of fighting for hours to get her down to have her wake up 10 minutes later.  It is so very trying! :(

Offline kyemickaj

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2005, 05:27:29 am »
Hi there!

Well, it seems that it was a growth spurt and we seemed to have settled again! :D

We are also doing a little wind down before each sleep during the day which seems to be really helping.  I think maybe a little too much activity and being a little overstimulated was the cause daytime wakefulness.

I've also tried the cluster feeding and dreamfeed which also helped a great deal - thanks for the tip!  The past two nights we have woken for feeds at only around 3:00am and then again at 7:00am and each time settled back down without too much effort.

Mum feels much happier now that she knows that she can get great advice here!  A great relief for a new mum with alot of questions...  And a great relief for dad who is happy that mum is happy!

Thanks again!
Kylie & AJ
Kylie
Mummy to AJ born 30/06/05