Author Topic: Is this a case of being dependant on a prop (dummy)?  (Read 1305 times)

Offline Dina

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Is this a case of being dependant on a prop (dummy)?
« on: August 10, 2005, 13:27:43 pm »
My almost 5 mth old boy has almost always fell asleep with the dummy, I only use it to help him fall asleep.  He now manages to fall asleep by himself (phew!) only needing help when he's really overtired.

He has regular naps in he day and is on a 4 hr easy (roughly !).

He sleeps at about 7pm until 7am and natually wakes up a 5am but falls alseep again. and has a dreamfeed at about 10.30 - 11pm.

Over the last 2 weeks or so he has started 'whimpering' from about 3am every hr - but his eyes are closed and as soon as I slip the dummy in he carries on sleeping.  But eventually the dummy falls out and about an hr later he whimpers again, until the dummys in his mouth.  Its like he can;t get back to sleep unless the dummy is in. He does this mainly at night and its quite tiring for me !

Is this a case of being dependant on the dummy (the prop) and if so how do I overcome it ?

I have the 'solve all your problems' book but have to admitt I have not had the time to re-read the relevant sections !
A Very Spirited Aries Boy
Born: 24th March 2005

Offline chell

• When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 94
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2005, 17:29:48 pm »
Hi, just wondered if your lo actually wakes up completely or is actually in a very light sleep? My lo sometimes makes these noises throughout the night, but if I leave him he will go back into a deep sleep himself.
Cheryl
An obedient soldier fights a fools war

[img=http://www.images/t4.gif=http://www.images/t4.gif]http://www.babywhis

Offline Dina

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2005, 20:45:06 pm »
Hi Cheryl,
He's always in light sleep and whimpers - I have tried to leave him to it but he just starts crying, until I pop the dummy back in, he'll turn his head to the mattress and falls asleep.

Last night though he went absolutely bananas, it was about 9.45pm and nothing worked, so we gave him his milk and he was fine, until I put him back in his cot - he went crazy again - so I gave him more milk ! then he fell asleep and I put him back in his cot. (he doesn't do this often and myhusband thought he it might be the first signs of teething :evil: ) he was going crazy as if he was in pain or something !  :roll:

As soon as he stops this intermittant whimpering we'll put him in his own room, so I hope its soon !
A Very Spirited Aries Boy
Born: 24th March 2005