Author Topic: accidental parenting out of control...  (Read 1474 times)

Offline Alison_3

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 95
« on: August 10, 2005, 13:54:19 pm »
My ds is just over 9 months old.  He never napped really well, but he would go to bed at night independently.  Now he doesn't nap or go to bed by himself.  His reflux was out of control and he had five teeth in less than 5 weeks.  So I guess I had a bad case of the poor baby syndrome.  I've been feeding him to sleep for his naps and bedtime :evil:  I then rock him to keep him upright before putting him in his crib because of his reflux...Anyway, I start work in just over two weeks and I really want to get him on track for everyone's sake.  My mom will be watching him while I work and she will do whatever it takes so that is not a concern. 

His reflux is now under control and I don't think anymore teeth are popping through just yet.  It is time for this to change!!  Just this morning he took a 30 minute nap. 

I just don't know where to start.  Should I tackle bedtime or the naptime first?  I know I'll need to rearrange his schedule to eliminate this feeding to sleep mess!  Below is his routine (if you can call it that)  I find myself getting very frustrated with myself and him at times.  He is so cranky when he doesn't sleep enough.  (and so am I!)

6:00-  wake
6:30- breakfast
7:00- walk
8:30-9:00-  6-8 oz. bottle and nap
depends on length of nap, but these are ideal days of which there are very few!
10:00-10:30 wakes up
noon-  lunch
1:30-2:00-  6-8 oz. bottle and nap
5:30 dinner
6:45- bath
7:15-7:30- bottle and bed

He does get up usually once during the night for a 2 oz. feed.  I was giving him more, but I know he's not hungry and I have to stop feeding him during the night.

How did everything get so out of control?? :(   Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  It's time to get my independent little sleeper back...

thanks!

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

Offline mattandcindy

• Showing Appreciation 18
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2005, 17:31:05 pm »
Have you ever tried the EASY schedule?
I know with Abigail that has been a lifesaver with us. Abigail as well has silent reflux and is on medication but it still gets bad at times.
Feeding her and then having her awake and up in her saucer or bouncy chair or sitting up playing helps a ton, I think even though you are holding your lo after eating, the reflux still may be affecting him since he is being put down after eating.
It sounds like food may also be a prop to help him sleep.
I know switching to EASY would be a major undertaking right now but I think it would be WAY worth it.
Do you have Traci's book? It talks at length about EASY and I think there is even a section on starting late.

Putting him down after eating could be a major contributor to why your LO doesn't nap good too.
Just my thoughts....
Cindy

Offline Alison_3

• Showing Appreciation 95
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2005, 18:29:08 pm »
I've tried, but he starts the day off and makes it difficult because he doesn't want to eat first thing in the morning.  I do have Tracy's book and have read and re-read it over and over. 

I would love to get him on EASY!  I completely agree with you about eating before he naps is a big part of why he can't sleep. 

I'll keep trying.  thanks

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]